#10 in Latest AP Poll

djg0017

9 minutes ago, Tiger96 said:

lol did you even read what I said? How many teams can honestly go toe to toe with UGA and Bama in back to back weeks and win with their back up? It would be one thing if we had gotten blown out in the previous 6 matchup with UGA/Bama. That I could understand. But 5 out of those 6 games have come down to either injuries or 1-2 plays. This year we have our starting QB for once. However considering how conservative Gus has been in big games lately, who knows what'll happen. 

Don't backtrack now. He has a fully healthy QB. Considered top tier. Also, UGA was not that good in 2015 and 2016. They lost to Vanderbilt last year Also, UGA QB was also hurt in 2015 when we played them. Not to mention, they ended the season unranked both years. A 10 win team went unranked in 2015.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DAG said:

Don't backtrack now. He has a fully healthy QB. Considered top tier. Also, UGA was not that good in 2015 and 2016. They lost to Georgia Tech last year. So Georgia Tech running a triple-option offense can find ways to beat them, but we can't? Also, UGA QB was also hurt in 2015 when we played them. Not to mention, they ended the season unranked both years. A 10 win team went unranked in 2015.

How am I backtracking? lol has gus not been ultra-conservative in play calling the last few big games? And you're right: UGA downright sucked in 2015 and 2016, and we SHOULD have won those games. And even though their QB was hurt in 2015, it came down to 1-2 plays like I said (Punt return for TD). 

7 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

It shouldn't be. We have the horses to puddle stomp uga and bammer too. Coaching is LACKING. I also think we need a better S&C coordinator.

But malzahn is responsible for getting those horses here. How do we know the next guy will be as successful ? Not arguing.....discussing. 

In year 5, AU should be playing at the same level as UGA and UA are. We are not. We have highs and lows, but every team does. However, Great teams minimize the time in between the lows. Each season, each game, each qtr, each series is a constant roller coaster with Gus as HC. Consistency is the key to success, especially in football. We are not, have not, and ,as of now, will not be consistently great with Gus.  

Just now, Tiger96 said:

How am I backtracking? lol has gus not been ultra-conservative in play calling the last few big games? And you're right: UGA downright sucked in 2015 and 2016, and we SHOULD have won those games. And even though their QB was hurt in 2015, it came down to 1-2 plays like I said (Punt return for TD). 

The last few games? The last damn near 3 years. That is why he has lost any type of benefit of a doubt like Mikey and AU64 is trying to push. Quite frankly, he is still conservative in most games, it just so happens we have a lot more talent against those teams, so it works.

Just now, BJCrawford said:

But malzahn is responsible for getting those horses here. How do we know the next guy will be as successful ? Not arguing.....discussing. 

Because Gene Freaking Chizik was able to do it. Just saying. And Gene Chizik was able to pull in a top 5 class and one top 6 class. If he can do it, well.....

1 minute ago, DAG said:

The last few games? The last damn near 3 years. That is why he has lost any type of benefit of a doubt like Mikey and AU64 is trying to push. Quite frankly, he is still conservative in most games, it just so happens we have a lot more talent against those teams, so it works.

And who was our QB that last 3 years? Jeremy Johnson and Sean White. Johnson was unfortunately a flop, and Sean white couldn't stay healthy for half a season. Any coach would be conservative when you have bad QB play. 

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

In year 5, AU should be playing at the same level as UGA and UA are. We are not. We have highs and lows, but every team does. However, Great teams minimize the time in between the lows. Each season, each game, each qtr, each series is a constant roller coaster with Gus as HC. Consistency is the key to success, especially in football. We are not, have not, and ,as of now, will not be consistently great with Gus.  

But he has mastered how to consistently be inconsistent. 

So at least we have that.

IMG_0651.JPG

4 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

All those horses do you no good, as we've seen the past 3 seasons if you don't know how to game plan for the strengths of the guys you recruit. QB being the #1 example. We need a FOOTBALL coach, not a system coach. Especially one that doesn't even seem to recruit for the system he actually wants to run. You don't just go grab the highest star rating available and plug him in....unless you're going to tailor your offense completely around him. I don't think Gus has that ability.

5 minutes ago, Tiger96 said:

And who was our QB that last 3 years? Jeremy Johnson and Sean White. Johnson was unfortunately a flop, and Sean white couldn't stay healthy for half a season. Any coach would be conservative when you have bad QB play. 

Yes we had two four-star QBs. Who was the backup? Isn't that part of being a coach?  Having a suitable backup or for CGM that doesn't count? UGA won last year with a true freshman playing QB.

Ohhh yeah I forgot, he chose to recruit JF3

If some people have already made their minds up that Gus is gone. I get it. Cut bait, just prolonging inevitable, can't change/evolve, can't grow quarterbacks, outdated scheme, panics at game time. Ect. I get it. But repeating the same exact points, hundreds of times, in hundreds of threads kinda seems like a poor use of personal time.  Ps I think the odds are against us trading up especially this year, and could set us back tremendously. But that's just my 2 cents.  Who knows.

To the fire Gus crowd.  We hear you (and hear you), youve made your same points so many times that we can all repeat them in our sleep. But for one week we're in the damn top 10 and have a ridicously remote chance at something pretty special. Dear lord can you enjoy this for one friggin week and let's see where this goes?

Just now, auburnatl1 said:

If some people have already made their minds up that Gus is gone. I get it. Cut bait, just prolonging inevitable, can't change/evolve, can't grow quarterbacks, outdated scheme, panics at game time. Ect. I get it. But repeating the same exact points, hundreds of times, in hundreds of threads kinda seems like a poor use of personal time.  Ps I think the odds are against us trading up especially this year, and could set us back tremendously. But that's just my 2 cents.  Who knows.

To the fire Gus crowd.  We hear you (and hear you), youve made your same points so many times that we can all repeat them in our sleep. But for one week we're in the damn top 10 and have a ridicously remote chance at something pretty special. Dear lord can you enjoy this for one friggin week and let's see where this goes?

We have been ranked in the top ten the last three years or are you new to this?

1 minute ago, auburnatl1 said:

Well on the same token, we keep hearing the same BS from the sympathizers. So....touché I suppose,

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Yes we had two four-star QBs. Who was the backup? Isn't that part of being a coach?  Having a suitable backup or for CGM that doesn't count? UGA won last year with a true freshman playing QB.

UGA won last year because of a Pick 6. And that's great that they were 4 stars, however one was incredibly indecisive and the other one was always hurt. JJ had all the tools but could never get it together during a game and Sean White was made of glass. What did our coach do after the debacle that was 2015? Went out and got a dual threat, however that dual threat had fumbling issues and could only throw bombs. So what can you do when all of your QBs are either hurt or turnover prone? you unfortunately have to go conservative. 

15 minutes ago, DAG said:

I thought you said you weren't impressed with Kirby Smart and UGA, now you are saying he looks like a Top Tier coach?! This is what I mean. The spin zone.

I give Smart credit for what looks like a very good year and A+ talent and that's not spin.     I said top tier in the SEC   What that means is the rest of the coaches are worse still.....can't you see that or are you just playing dumb ?    The bottom 6 teams have 7 total wins among them so far this year and 25 losses

UF coach gone, UT coach on the way out, OM coach gone, Arky Coach maybe on the way out......and Muschamp.....gotta be kidding....oh, and Sumlin likely on the way out, . Missouri coach probably gone...Vandy and Kentucky are Vandy and Kentucky. and .    Mullen is the only other SEC coach that any other power 5 school would even consider hiring..... and like it or not,  Gus is among the top tier in the conference too.

Funny thing too for Smart..... with some luck he might play five games next year against teams with new coaches.  

1 minute ago, Tiger96 said:

UGA won last year because of a Pick 6. And that's great that they were 4 stars, however one was incredibly indecisive and the other one was always hurt. JJ had all the tools but could never get it together during a game and Sean White was made of glass. What did our coach do after the debacle that was 2015? Went out and got a dual threat, however that dual threat had fumbling issues and could only throw bombs. So what can you do when all of your QBs are either hurt or turnover prone? you unfortunately have to go conservative. 

You should not be in that position. You went out and recruited a juco QB to win the position and at the very least be able to run the offense for that exact reason. What you are saying and trying to rationalize is unacceptable. Now, if he had a Baylor situation, where three QBs were injured, then I can give him a pass, but he has a QB, who he CHOSE to go out and recruit, fully healthy on the sideline plus an upperclassman. 

Just now, DAG said:

So you admitted that CGM is worst than top-tier SEC coach Kirby Smart? Cause you just insinuated that Isaac Newton.

Nope...was only discussing coaches on our schedule.....not our own coach.  I insinuated nothing....you incorrectly inferred a conclusion from my comment....like missing the point of top tier in the SEC....but you have been in top management so probably understood my comment and maybe you just enjoy coming off as confused. 

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I give Smart credit for what looks like a very good year and A+ talent and that's not spin.     I said top tier in the SEC   What that means is the rest of the coaches are worse still.....can't you see that or are you just playing dumb ?    The bottom 6 teams have 7 total wins among them so far this year and 25 losses

UF coach gone, UT coach on the way out, OM coach gone, Arky Coach maybe on the way out......and Muschamp.....gotta be kidding....oh, and Sumlin likely on the way out, . Missouri coach probably gone...Vandy and Kentucky are Vandy and Kentucky. and .    Mullen is the only other SEC coach that any other power 5 school would even consider hiring..... and like it or not,  Gus is among the top tier in the conference too.

Funny thing too for Smart..... with some luck he might play five games next year against teams with new coaches.  

No, no, no. That has not been what you have been saying the last couple of weeks. You said you were not impressed with UGA or their wins. Coincidently, we play them this week and funny, you have an epiphany that now with A++ talent he fits as a top tier coach in the SEC? Funny how that works. Playing dumb? Go find my previous post, I have been saying the SEC does not have quality coaches including CGM within that list.

5 hours ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

If we win out, we will be in the playoff. IF we beat Georgia, UL, UA, & then GA again in the tittle game...they couldn't keep us from being in. Realistically though...will this happen??? Ehhh...let me dream for now. It would be wild if we win out, beat GA again in the SEC tittle game...then get matched up against Bama in the playoffs. Unlikely but plausible 

I can't see any of this without KP in the backfield. Just like last year, no Pettway, no win.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Hypothetically, we go 1-2 in our last 3, what do you do?

Tough. On one hand the team still is playing hard, and competitive. So he has not lost it like Butch, JMac, Brett, and a few other hot seat coaches. Not to mention of all the potential coaches to be fired, Gus is the only one sniffing championship competition. So do you replace him with an unknown? Can he get the program to turn the corner and diversify his offense or just give it to Chip and sit down. Gus ran Tre back to back to back during the final minutes of Q2 Bama game, and it resulted in a score that kept Au in the game. My point Auburn has a coach that is married to his system, his play calling and his overall philosophy. Can he innovate and change. If it was me - that’s would be the sticking point....would  have to know that before making my final decision.  Right now though I’d bring him back one more year..

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

We have been ranked in the top ten the last three years or are you new to this?

Nope I was here. And meant to put that one on the list. It’s  a top 3 most repeated.  Got it.

Both sides have valid points, it’s not mind bending stuff.  Decision time will come. Between now and then, let’s just watch, worry, hope, and root!!! WDE

Just now, DAG said:

You should not be in that position. You went out and recruited a juco QB to win the position and at the very least be able to run the offense for that exact reason. What you are saying and trying to rationalize is unacceptable. Now, if he had a Baylor situation, where three QBs were injured, then I can give him a pass, but he has a QB, who he CHOSE to go out and recruit, fully healthy on the sideline plus an upperclassman. 

An upperclassman who is known for throwing INTs and a recruit he chose that has a recurring fumble issue. Unlike a lot of people I give Gus a pass for the UGA/Bama games in 2015 and 2016. Without our starting QB we are nothing on offense, and unfortunately our back-ups were either turnover prone or couldn't pass to save their life. Nobody could have guessed that Jeremy Johnson would end up so bad and that Sean White would continuously get hurt. Heck JF3 should have never been a QB. 

Just now, auburnatl1 said:

Nope I was here. And meant to put that one on the list. It’s  a top 3 most repeated.  Got it.

Both sides have valid points, it’s not mind bending stuff.  Decision time will come. Between now and then, let’s just watch, worry, hope, and root!!! WDE

Don't forget to put your "Hey guy's let's enjoy being in the top ten" comment in there as well.

Just now, Tiger96 said:

An upperclassman who is known for throwing INTs and a recruit he chose that has a recurring fumble issue. Unlike a lot of people I give Gus a pass for the UGA/Bama games in 2015 and 2016. Without our starting QB we are nothing on offense, and unfortunately our back-ups were either turnover prone or couldn't pass to save their life. Nobody could have guessed that Jeremy Johnson would end up so bad and that Sean White would continuously get hurt. Heck JF3 should have never been a QB. 

So, why did our GURU recruit him as a QB then?

Just now, DAG said:

So, why did our GURU recruit him as a QB then?

You already know that answer just as well as I do... He wanted to go back to the offense that was great in 2013/2014. Unfortunately (once again) JF3 was horribly inaccurate and had fumbling issues. What exactly are you trying to prove DAG? 

Archived