Pearl's Job in Jeopardy

As I understand it, the "problem" isn't between Pearl & the Compliance dept but between Pearl & the Firm we've hired to do the investigation. So, I'm not clear that any pissing contest is between MacGlynn & Pearl. At least not directly. But whoever it is, & whatever is going on, it's worrisome. And demoralizing.

I also wanted to make one comment about the Purifoy situation from 2 years ago. I live in Memphis & remember when Derek Rose was cleared by the NCAA to play for the U of Memphis Tigers & led them to within seconds of a national championship. 2 years after Rose had left for the NBA, the NCAA rule that he'd cheated on his ACT (his score jumped like Purifoy's apparently did), that the university should have known he'd cheated (though Memphis folks protested that they didn't know how they how they could have known), & so all the games in which he'd played had to be forfeited. If Memphis had won the NC, they'd have had to vacate it, which would have been awful. I tell this story for those who were wondering why Purifoy wasn't allowed to play even if the NCAA had cleared him. NCAA clearance isn't necessarily the final word. Auburn may have been trying to be as sure as possible. Anyway, just passing this along...

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, TigerTennis80 said:

I also wanted to make one comment about the Purifoy situation from 2 years ago. I live in Memphis & remember when Derek Rose was cleared by the NCAA to play for the U of Memphis Tigers & led them to within seconds of a national championship. 2 years after Rose had left for the NBA, the NCAA rule that he'd cheated on his ACT (his score jumped like Purifoy's apparently did), that the university should have known he'd cheated (though Memphis folks protested that they didn't know how they how they could have known), & so all the games in which he'd played had to be forfeited. If Memphis had won the NC, they'd have had to vacate it, which would have been awful. I tell this story for those who were wondering why Purifoy wasn't allowed to play even if the NCAA had cleared him. NCAA clearance isn't necessarily the final word. Auburn may have been trying to be as sure as possible. Anyway, just passing this along...

Good info ?

40 minutes ago, TigerTennis80 said:

As I understand it, the "problem" isn't between Pearl & the Compliance dept but between Pearl & the Firm we've hired to do the investigation. So, I'm not clear that any pissing contest is between MacGlynn & Pearl. At least not directly. But whoever it is, & whatever is going on, it's worrisome. And demoralizing.

Thank you for clearing that up!

Only slightly related to the topic....but the player who de-committed from AU after issue with Person.  Haven't heard anything specific but assume he was recruited by CP.    Any chance we could get him back.....do we know where he is going?   Is BP in contact with him ?  

This is seeming more and more likely that this is not going to end with Pearl still employed at AU. Which makes me really sad for our bball program. 

21 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Only slightly related to the topic....but the player who de-committed from AU after issue with Person.  Haven't heard anything specific but assume he was recruited by CP.    Any chance we could get him back.....do we know where he is going?   Is BP in contact with him ?  

I have heard no chance from one person that usually is right.

36 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I have heard no chance from one person that usually is right.

Thanks...it happened so quick I was wondering if there is a cloud.....curious who might end up with him. 

2 hours ago, auburnphan said:

So it has nothing to do with the AD but the AD leaked info............

not what I have been hearing.

I don't know if your comments are in response to what I wrote earlier, but if so, I'd like to clarify my remarks. I didn't say the situation has "nothing to do with the AD." I assume, in fact, that the AD is very involved & plenty mad if Bruce isn't cooperating with the Firm we hired to do the investigation. I even wonder if the info was leaked from the Athletic Dept so that, if Bruce is fired in the next couple of days or weeks, all of us will know why. But my earlier remarks on this Board reiterated that the reports say that Bruce isn't cooperating with the Firm the AD hired to do the investigation, not with our Compliance Dept & Rich MacGlynn. 

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

I don't think EJ Montgomery is or will consider coming to Auburn. His situation is much deeper than Person recruiting him. 

At this point, I wish Leath would literally clean house in the AD. We need a culture change and cleaning house may be the safest and only way to ensure no bad apples hang around. In regards to basketball, my heart breaks for these players, including AW and DP. I won't blame anyone who decides to leave the program after the season. It breaks my heart that Auburn has so many people willing to stab the university in the back for personal gain, especially when JJ likes to preach about this being a family. If this is a family, it sure is dysfunctional.

Im not sure what the real story here is.  But the leadership at the university has some real problems with getting a handle on their athletic programs.

With all these leaks, an unfounded stories coming out, it is obvious that some within the university and outside the university want to see Auburn’s athletic programs fail.  I’m not sure if it is a personal vendetta or what, but Auburn has a serious problem with “news” coming out almost weekly.  Sometimes it turns out to be true, and many time it does not.

24 minutes ago, boomstick said:

I don't think EJ Montgomery is or will consider coming to Auburn. His situation is much deeper than Person recruiting him. 

In what way? 

1 minute ago, boomstick said:

I believe his family is impacted by another issue within the athletic department. 

Gotcha. Check didn’t clear? 

JK. You seem informed. I’ll be keeping my eyeballs on the lookout for your posts

Interesting the bama player Sexton cleared by NCAA....sounds like one game penalty and that's it.....might be a good signal for our two guys.    

Anyway you look at it.....this is a huge mess and Auburn basketball has suffered  a huge blow and will suffer for years to come. There's just no way to sugarcoat it or minimize it. Once again Auburn's name will be drug through the mud for months. This is a public relations nightmare.

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Interesting the bama player Sexton cleared by NCAA....sounds like one game penalty and that's it.....might be a good signal for our two guys.    

Could be!

2 hours ago, TigerTennis80 said:

I don't know if your comments are in response to what I wrote earlier, but if so, I'd like to clarify my remarks. I didn't say the situation has "nothing to do with the AD." I assume, in fact, that the AD is very involved & plenty mad if Bruce isn't cooperating with the Firm we hired to do the investigation. I even wonder if the info was leaked from the Athletic Dept so that, if Bruce is fired in the next couple of days or weeks, all of us will know why. But my earlier remarks on this Board reiterated that the reports say that Bruce isn't cooperating with the Firm the AD hired to do the investigation, not with our Compliance Dept & Rich MacGlynn. 

It was.  I am also very confident that the firm is not that annoyed by that, but they can't finalize things.  It has become political to some extent because someone who is suppose to do something got pushed aside and is left in the dark.  New  President new way of running things.

1 hour ago, au302 said:

At this point, I wish Leath would literally clean house in the AD. We need a culture change and cleaning house may be the safest and only way to ensure no bad apples hang around. In regards to basketball, my heart breaks for these players, including AW and DP. I won't blame anyone who decides to leave the program after the season. It breaks my heart that Auburn has so many people willing to stab the university in the back for personal gain, especially when JJ likes to preach about this being a family. If this is a family, it sure is dysfunctional.

Leath is beyond upset, he does not tolerate leaks.  He made that known.

18 minutes ago, AU64 said:

what everyone is hearing.

As you guys have probably heard, there was a movement on twitter and message boards today to call or email Leath and the AD. I emailed Leath to basically express my sorrow for the mess he's inherited and offer my support for the team. To my surprise, he replied back. Is there a policy that he must respond to fans emails? I just can't see him having the time right now to go through random fans emails and read them, pretty impressive if you ask me.

3 minutes ago, au302 said:

As you guys have probably heard, there was a movement on twitter and message boards today to call or email Leath and the AD. I emailed Leath to basically express my sorrow for the mess he's inherited and offer my support for the team. To my surprise, he replied back. Is there a policy that he must respond to fans emails? I just can't see him having the time right now to go through random fans emails and read them, pretty impressive if you ask me.

I've been impressed by Leath so far.

47 minutes ago, au302 said:

What did he say when you told him  we should fire Gus if he doesn't win out?? :lol:

Archived