Player Development

corchjay

I am not a draft guru but i don't see how Jeff Holland is getting a fourth round project. I am glad he is. Maybe it turns him back home another year but dang, i haven't seen a better one this year.

Also surprised Mathews is ranked so much lower than Roberts. 

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/12/where_auburn_players_are_proje.html#incart_target2box_default_#incart_target2box_targeted_

Draft Projections...... thoughts? Mods might think this needs its own thread and move it......

Proof that no one has any idea where anyone past a handful of top players will end up come draft day.  Those projections are all over the place. The good news for us is the only ones they can agree on are Russel and Holland, and neither is high enough that I think they would consider it. 

Kerryon will be the most interesting.  If he gets the first round projection that some said, it's hard to think he would stay, but if the others are right about 2nd-3rd round, it might be worth it for him to improve on things next year, see if he can't stay 100% healthy, and make a run for some major hardware.

12 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Ah, but keep in mind that Kerryon's vision and timing to the hole increased dramatically between last year and this year, because he studied players who were exceptionally good at it. Iggy is just a freshman. Those kinds of things should improve in years 2 & 3.  The one thing he has that you can't learn is raw speed.

Exactly plus he learned patience and let the hole develope by the blocker then hit the jets.

53 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Better NFL prospect after junior year:

Jeff Holland or Quentin Groves?

I hope some folks who know more than I do about NFL evaluations respond with their whos and whys. 

19 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

If Holland is a 4th rounder, then obv he has to come back, but at the same time, what else can the man really do? He's had a transcendent year at edge rusher 

Right. Maybe he shows improvement in the run game but I'd bet real money his stats won't be as impressive next year drawing me back to my Q Groves post. Groves had a fantastic junior year then statistically underwhelmed as a senior, but still got drafted rather high (2nd rd I think). I believe we also started playing QG at some OLB in 3-4 alignments his senior year as well and maybe that contributed to his dip in stats but maybe if Holland stays another year he plays himself into a top 2 round pick

On 12/19/2017 at 5:43 PM, alexava said:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/12/where_auburn_players_are_proje.html#incart_target2box_default_#incart_target2box_targeted_

Draft Projections...... thoughts? Mods might think this needs its own thread and move it......

Yeah, those predictions are all over the place.  Overall, a bit lower than I would have expected.  

Our DL will be looking GREAT if Holland and Russell’s projections stay in that range. 

Any news on when players may start making their decisions?  For example, we all expect C Davis to go and Stidham to stay, but I haven’t heard anything official on either.  

KJ and Holland are the 2 biggest question marks I think. I guess it will depend on draft grades..... When does that happen?  I know we’ve been through all this before, but my memory ain’t what it used to be. Lol. 

On 12/21/2017 at 7:32 AM, McLoofus said:

I wonder if uga's success this year, with all their seniors that returned, will give us even a slight assist. 

I know this doesn’t factor into your post at all, but we won’t have the schedule these seniors can breeze with like UGA had. I hope ours would factor in playing like 3 Top 10 teams on the road/neutral 

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 9:46 AM, TigerPAC said:

not a professional evaluator by no means, but Iggy seems to have straight-line speed but has not developed/does not have very good vision.  this can be coached somewhat, but also is inherent.  as an example, look @ how KJ runs versus KP.  we desperately need help with special teams.

Gus has been working with special teams this year...just sayin' ,and our ends have been very easy to give up the edge at times...they tend to step hard down the line...most times a big no-no

On 12/18/2017 at 11:17 PM, DAG said:

Wait a minute so do you have like some sort of practice passes to make this evaluation?

Glad to see my spirit lives on even though I'm gone

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Glad to see my spirit lives on even though I'm gone

Somebody had to take up the slack while you were away.   :)

Been missing your observations on basketball....especially this season with such interesting things going on. 

Archived