DACA

homersapien

My (limited and cursory) understanding of the general Democratic position on this is: qualifying members of the class should be allowed to remain pretty much "as-is" and have a "clear passage" to citizenship.  

What I don't understand is the countervailing position by the segment of ("right wing"?) Republicans that is causing an impasse in negotiations with Democrats.  I heard yesterday that the "path to citizenship" was a sticking point.

Does anyone know the basics of the right wing position on DACA?  Do they want to deport these people?

I realize the devil is always in the details, but I seriously don't know what the points of dispute are.  

Or are the Republicans simply playing games?

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/16/government-shutdown-2018-daca-dreamers-341178

“It can’t just be an agreement between six senators,” Cornyn continued, referencing the bipartisan agreement Durbin and Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) presented last week that was dismissed by the White House. “It has to be one that will pass both houses and that the president would sign and I’m committed to making sure we stay at it until we find a solution.”

Short and White House chief of staff John Kelly are expected to meet with the Congressional Hispanic Caucus on Wednesday morning. CHC members held a series of calls over the weekend to discuss strategy and then released a statement seemingly in opposition to the Graham-Durbin deal without mentioning the proposal by name.

But Democrats remain pessimistic that the group of No. 2 leaders can reach an agreement and some have said privately they think the talks are an effort by Republicans to stall on immigration to secure Democratic votes to keep the government open.

What does "path to leadership" mean?

I wish that the republicans were smart enough to realize that THEY ARE NOT GOING TO DEPORT THE DREAMERS. So why not use the dreamers as a negotiating tool? If I trade away something that I was going to lose anyway then at least I end up with SOMETHING.

1 hour ago, Grumps said:

I wish that the republicans were smart enough to realize that THEY ARE NOT GOING TO DEPORT THE DREAMERS. So why not use the dreamers as a negotiating tool? If I trade away something that I was going to lose anyway then at least I end up with SOMETHING.

Because politicians on both sides have forgotten about compromise in favor of all or nothing.  The far right and left of the parties have hijacked common sense, as they hold enough votes to counter moderate votes who use their damn brain.  50% of something is better than 100% of nothing, but the extremes of each party don't live by that credo.  It's very much led to the polarization we have now.

1 hour ago, Grumps said:

Sorry, I meant citizenship. :slapfh:

30 minutes ago, Grumps said:

Gotcha! Thanks for clarifying!

Hell, I don't think I would have even noticed had you not asked, so thanks for doing so.   

Funny how the mind works sometimes.  It reminds me of optical illusions or "inattentive blindess"

Archived