Sex DOESNT sell...in Movies

DKW 86

Sex DOESNT sell...

Told you guys before that sex doesnt sell movies anymore. Then why does Hollywood try and ram it down our throats?

Last year, five of the top-10-grossing movies were PG. Of the top 25, only four were rated R. "Increasingly, if a movie is rated R," says producer John Goldwyn, "audiences won't go."

Those that want to see the explicit stuff just skip the R-rated and go to the XXX, it is so available now on the internet. The R-rated movies just don't have a market anymore for the general public, at least that's how I would explain it. Kind of like if they made prostitution legal, then Coach Price could have skipped the topless bar and gone right to the ultimate entertainment. The topless bars would be losing business...

When I was a kid I went to the movies all the time. Now, I rarely go at all. I have to believe that youngsters are a huge target for hollywood and that is why so many of the top films are pg or so.

I'd be interested to know what the breakdown for top rentals during the same period was, probably the same I guess.

5 out of the top 10 were the highest grossing movies because they are solely directed at children. You cant take a 5 year old to an R rated movie. So that cuts out a huge demographic for R rated movies.

That stat is misleading. Sex still sells. Its just that the young dollar influences the market much more than it used to. (See the music industry)

Parents have to go with their kids to see these movies. Id be interested to see what the sales are for R rated movies amoung adults.

But I also think that the overwhelming abundance of crud available on the internet has tempered the demand for a lot of raunchy R rateds.

Maybe they should include how much money the x rated film industry made last year with the other R rated moves...to get a better measure.

Archived