THE DEMO-GOGUES on Parade

Tigermike

THE DEMO-GOGUES

Still on the old campaign trail: "I say the war was wrong, unholy and the administration has brought death, destruction, chaos and corruption to Iraq." --Rep. Dennis Kucinich

From the "Disorder in the Courts" Department: "Why would we give lifetime appointments to people who earn up to $200,000 a year, with absolutely a great retirement system, and all the things all Americans wish for, with absolutely no check and balance except that one confirmation vote? So we're saying we think you ought to get nine votes over the 51 required. That isn't too much to ask for such a super-important position. There ought to be a super vote. Don't you think so? It's the only check and balance on these people. They're in for life. They don't stand for election like we do, which is scary." --Sen. Barbara Boxer **Like, maybe you'd like to amend our super Constitution to require that super vote -- don' t you think so?++ "They want us to approve William Pryor. If you don't care about voting rights then you're going to be for William Pryor. They want to us approve William Morris [sic]. Here is a person that has been dedicated and commitment [sic] to cut back on the environmental protection of all the environmental laws so that we cannot have clean air, clean water...." --Ted Kennedy, who by the way meant William Myers++ "An ill wind is blowing across this country. That wind sows the seeds of destruction. Our Constitution is under attack. We must speak out. We must kill this dangerous effort to rewrite our precious Constitution." -- Robert Byrd (D-KKK) on the constitutional option for confirming judges

Up for an Oscar: "The caption tonight ought to be: We're not doctors, we just play them on C-SPAN." -- Rep Barney Frank on opposing the law for Terri's family over the weekend

This week's "Blow Hard" Award: "We can't drill our way to energy independence. We have to invent our way there, by harnessing the entrepreneurial spirit that made our country great." -- John Kerry

link

This week's "Blow Hard" Award: "We can't drill our way to energy independence. We have to invent our way there, by harnessing the entrepreneurial spirit that made our country great." -- John Kerry

And the mom and pop oil company, or the wildcatter that drills on a hunch is not an entrepreneur and a risk taker in the greatest tradition of American self-reliance and independence? :rolleyes:

If only we could harness the energy from all the hot air that emits from Kerry and Kennedy, we'd be free of Miiddle East oil in no time.

"We can't drill our way to energy independence. We have to invent our way there, by harnessing the entrepreneurial spirit that made our country great." -- John Kerry

Does anyone really dispute the content of this quote?

jenny you really think there are mom and pop oil drillers anymore? c'mon now. this isn't the age of the beverly hillbillies. and if we really want to protect future generations, we'd do well to start planning and developing a shift from fossel fuels altogether.

"We can't drill our way to energy independence. We have to invent our way there, by harnessing the entrepreneurial spirit that made our country great." -- John Kerry

152442[/snapback]

Well Tex I would have to say the content is probably correct. But and there is a big but, John Kerry is big on sound bites and very small actually doing. Even the most ardent, dyed in the wool, kool aid drinking, tree hugging liberal democrat will admit that we (the world) are years away from developing an economical alternative fuel. Should it be done? Most certainly. Is it being done? I feel sure there are companies and individuals working on that as we speak. But I don't know who or where. If I did, I might very well invest some monies with them.

jenny you really think there are mom and pop oil drillers anymore? c'mon now. this isn't the age of the beverly hillbillies. and if we really want to protect future generations, we'd do well to start planning and developing a shift from fossel fuels altogether.

152446[/snapback]

Actually there are still small independent drilling companies.

Yes but they won't fit in my trunk. :big::big::big:

I wish someone would or could make hydrogen fuel available on a large scale. But to play devils advocate, what will that do to the cost of and availability of good ole H2O?

I think most people know that drilling in Alaska isn't going to asolve the entire problem, but I feel it will take some dependence away from foreign oil.

I think most people know that drilling in Alaska isn't going to asolve the entire problem, but I feel it will take some dependence away from foreign oil.

152573[/snapback]

What year do you think the first barrel will be filled with oil from there?

152442[/snapback]

Well Tex I would have to say the content is probably correct. But and there is a big but, John Kerry is big on sound bites and very small actually doing. Even the most ardent, dyed in the wool, kool aid drinking, tree hugging liberal democrat will admit that we (the world) are years away from developing an economical alternative fuel. Should it be done? Most certainly. Is it being done? I feel sure there are companies and individuals working on that as we speak. But I don't know who or where. If I did, I might very well invest some monies with them.

152542[/snapback]

I'm not sure what you realistically expect Kerry "to do" in this regard. He can hardly set the administration's energy policy. He can counter arguments he disagrees with, make his case, and cast his vote. Do things take time? Sure, even after a sincere commitment, but how sincerely does this administration want to move away from Big Oil? BTW, Kerry's quote was in the context of drilling proponents making this point:

Drilling proponents said tapping the refuge would lessen dependence on foreign oil,...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...-2005Mar16.html

Accordingly, what is there to fairly criticize about this statement:

Pro-American, pro-entrepeneur...

152442[/snapback]

152542[/snapback]

I'm not sure what you realistically expect Kerry "to do" in this regard. He can hardly set the administration's energy policy. He can counter arguments he disagrees with, make his case, and cast his vote. Do things take time? Sure, even after a sincere commitment, but how sincerely does this administration want to move away from Big Oil? BTW, Kerry's quote was in the context of drilling proponents making this point:

Drilling proponents said tapping the refuge would lessen dependence on foreign oil,...

152617[/snapback]

Why can't we have both? Electric cars are already on the market. It's not like we're forcing people to buy gas-guzzling SUV'S Then, when oil production is running out, begin the transition to electric cars and hydrogen cell vehicles.

152442[/snapback]

152542[/snapback]

152617[/snapback]

Why can't we have both? Electric cars are already on the market. It's not like we're forcing people to buy gas-guzzling SUV'S Then, when oil production is running out, begin the transition to electric cars and hydrogen cell vehicles.

152622[/snapback]

What does the quote say?

I didn't respond to the quote, I made a statement referring to him not wanting us to drill in Alaska.

Who told him that if we drill in Alaska, it means we'll hault other energy alternatives?

THE DEMO-GOGUES

Still on the old campaign trail: "I say the war was wrong, unholy and the administration has brought death, destruction, chaos and corruption to Iraq." --Rep. Dennis Kucinich

From the "Disorder in the Courts" Department: "Why would we give lifetime appointments to people who earn up to $200,000 a year, with absolutely a great retirement system, and all the things all Americans wish for, with absolutely no check and balance except that one confirmation vote? So we're saying we think you ought to get nine votes over the 51 required. That isn't too much to ask for such a super-important position. There ought to be a super vote. Don't you think so? It's the only check and balance on these people. They're in for life. They don't stand for election like we do, which is scary." --Sen. Barbara Boxer **Like, maybe you'd like to amend our super Constitution to require that super vote -- don' t you think so?++ "They want us to approve William Pryor. If you don't care about voting rights then you're going to be for William Pryor. They want to us approve William Morris [sic]. Here is a person that has been dedicated and commitment [sic] to cut back on the environmental protection of all the environmental laws so that we cannot have clean air, clean water...." --Ted Kennedy, who by the way meant William Myers++ "An ill wind is blowing across this country. That wind sows the seeds of destruction. Our Constitution is under attack. We must speak out. We must kill this dangerous effort to rewrite our precious Constitution." -- Robert Byrd (D-KKK) on the constitutional option for confirming judges

Up for an Oscar: "The caption tonight ought to be: We're not doctors, we just play them on C-SPAN." -- Rep Barney Frank on opposing the law for Terri's family over the weekend

link

152386[/snapback]

Kucinich also said that the elections in Iraq were a "farce"

152442[/snapback]

152542[/snapback]

152617[/snapback]

Mr. Kerry made this grandiose statement as he voted against drilling in ANWAR.

152442[/snapback]

152542[/snapback]

152617[/snapback]

Mr. Kerry made this grandiose statement as he voted against drilling in ANWAR.

152661[/snapback]

Grandiose? In any event, what's your point? What is the big deal about this quote and if a Dem hadn't have said it, would anyone even care? He's opposed to drilling in ANWR. Most of his constituents oppose drilling in ANWR. He voted against it and pointed out in this quote that the key rationale given for voting for it was a bit grandiose in its own right. It won't produce oil any time soon and probably will barely make a dent in our supply. If Bush were really serious about reducing dependence on foreign oil we'd have higher mileage standards. The last President with the guts to have a meaningful energy policy that even encourage conservation was Carter and he got reamed for it.

152446[/snapback]

You either forget, or never knew,what I do for a living - I work for an oilfield services company that provides specialized products and equipment to oilwell operators. I negotiate the service contracts, and I deal with those mom and pop operators every day. They are usually one to five well operators but they still go out there and do it themselves as best they can. They are hardly Beverly Hillbillies.

We absolutely need to shift from total reliance on fossil fuels, but at the same time, drilling in ANWR and other locations will, in the short term, lessen our dependence on FOREIGN oil - and that is step one.

And the mom and pop oil company, or the wildcatter that drills on a hunch is not an entrepreneur and a risk taker in the greatest tradition of American self-reliance and independence? :rolleyes:

152390[/snapback]

Okay, although they produce a relatively small percentage of the oil we use, they do exist. But there is nothing in Kerry's quote that suggests those folks aren't hard-working, risk-taking, self-reliant entrepeneurs. He merely said that it will talk the same entrepeneurial spirit to become energy independent. The b#stard.

I imagine that just passing the legislation that allows the drilling up there would have an immediate(within a month) 20 to 25 cent drop in what we pay at the pump. The absurd thought that we might be doing ANYTHING to make us less dependent on foreign oil would wreak havoc on their (OPEC) overinflated oil prices.

152390[/snapback]

Okay, although they produce a relatively small percentage of the oil we use, they do exist. But there is nothing in Kerry's quote that suggests those folks aren't hard-working, risk-taking, self-reliant entrepeneurs. He merely said that it will talk the same entrepeneurial spirit to become energy independent. The b#stard.

153186[/snapback]

I have no problem with "inventing" our way to energy independence. In fact, my company and others have "invented" newer and better ways to drill for oil, cleaner and more environmentally friendly methods and chemicals and processes. My problem is that Kerry and the rest of the libbies want to completely disregard short term methods to focus exclusively on long term goals, when the problems are still in the here and now. Pres Bush has gone on record as stating that he supports alternative fuels and the like, but even if the technology was totally there (which it isn't - a few hybrid models does not an efective, efficient solution make) it takes money to retrofit and replace and upgrade, and time to make it work. It is not like we can just flip a switch and say "OKAY AMERICA!! TOMORROW EVERYONE GETS A HYDROGEN CAR!!! WHEEE!!!" :rolleyes:

In the short term, we will have to continue to use those non-renewable resources, like those to be found in ANWR, and reduce our dependence on FOREIGN OIL until hydrogen and hybrid cars make sense. In the grand scheme of things, seven years from start of development to oil in the refineries is not such a long time. As I have stated before, this is a futures business. Like jaydubb said, if OPEC thinks we will be able to get oil someplace other than from them, we have just improved our negotiating position.

152390[/snapback]

153186[/snapback]

I have no problem with "inventing" our way to energy independence. In fact, my company and others have "invented" newer and better ways to drill for oil, cleaner and more environmentally friendly methods and chemicals and processes. My problem is that Kerry and the rest of the libbies want to completely disregard short term methods to focus exclusively on long term goals, when the problems are still in the here and now. Pres Bush has gone on record as stating that he supports alternative fuels and the like, but even if the technology was totally there (which it isn't - a few hybrid models does not an efective, efficient solution make) it takes money to retrofit and replace and upgrade, and time to make it work. It is not like we can just flip a switch and say "OKAY AMERICA!! TOMORROW EVERYONE GETS A HYDROGEN CAR!!! WHEEE!!!" :rolleyes:

In the short term, we will have to continue to use those non-renewable resources, like those to be found in ANWR, and reduce our dependence on FOREIGN OIL until hydrogen and hybrid cars make sense. In the grand scheme of things, seven years from start of development to oil in the refineries is not such a long time. As I have stated before, this is a futures business. Like jaydubb said, if OPEC thinks we will be able to get oil someplace other than from them, we have just improved our negotiating position.

153272[/snapback]

Okay, but everything is a balancing act. Some folks, including Kerry, sees ANWR as barely making a dent and not worth disturbing that ecosystem. Other's weigh it differently, which I understand. Still, we've done virtually nothing to conserve energy since the 1970s and we have no meaningful plan to truly lessen our independence, which would need to include significant conservation efforts. But I hope anyone who thinks this is the outcome of that vote on ANWR, doesn't get their child's college money on it:

I imagine that just passing the legislation that allows the drilling up there would have an immediate(within a month) 20 to 25 cent drop in what we pay at the pump. The absurd thought that we might be doing ANYTHING to make us less dependent on foreign oil would wreak havoc on their (OPEC) overinflated oil prices.

Archived