Know your opponent

bigbird

@Baysman, What do you think the gameplan for UW will be to attack our D? Also, do you feel their is a exploitable weakness from our offense?

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

So any well-informed Auburn fans who offer constructive criticisms are "negative nancys", but we want to roll out the red carpet for the opponent when they predict an easy win for their team on our forum? I hear Seattle's nice this time of year.

I don't think it is that.  I think it is more in the context in how some responded to his/her posts.  I think some things in a few responses could have been better worded to be less aggressive.

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

So any well-informed Auburn fans who offer constructive criticisms are "negative nancys", but we want to roll out the red carpet for the opponent when they predict an easy win for their team on our forum? I hear Seattle's nice this time of year.

I was all ears until he was like should be an easy victory for us...so nonchalantly. The ultimate disrespect lol.

I was reading nodding and then like..

giphy.gif

This game has all the makings of one that may drive some folks here crazy. IMHO it screams for an AU gameplan of establishing runs b/w the tackles (against possibly questionable UW LBs) and then & ONLY then liberally mixing in jet sweeps & other "entertaining", speed utilizing outside plays (cough cough - reverses - cough cough). I can see guschipgrimes staying w/ that up the middle plan frustratingly long while rotating & experimenting on this oline this game. 

Just now, DAG said:

I am sorry that is super disrespectful lol. 

Far more disrespectful than the responses he/she invited. But it's good to see the softer side of AUF coming out. 

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Far more disrespectful than the responses he/she invited. But it's good to see the softer side of AUF coming out. 

Interesting enough, I have only spoken to a handful of Washington fans and this person is the first to give him praise. The ones I spoke to seem to think he would be more of the reason for them losing .

9 hours ago, Baysman said:

Huskies. Nebraska are the Huskers. And homerism? The game is in Atlanta, long ways from Seattle. No home field advantage for UW.

also, I stated my opinion with question marks, leaving it open for discussion.

Welcome and don’t be a stranger next week!

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

A little embarrassed that I bit as much as I did, but imagine having ridden in on a white horse to defend his honor.

Image result for whoops gif

Yeah, I got suckered too. It happens.

43 minutes ago, bigbird said:

@Baysman, What do you think the gameplan for UW will be to attack our D? Also, do you feel their is a exploitable weakness from our offense?

Running the football. Gaskin has averaged 1300 + yards over his Husky career, his YPC—6.2 last year—climbing each season. We had several injuries along the OL last year, including LT T. Adams, picked my many NFL pundits to be a top-5 overall pick. Throw in Caleb McGary a freakishly massive RT, projected to go in the top 3 rounds. Nick Harris has moved to center. He started at guard as a true freshman, and was the OL Bama exploited in the semi-final game. Harris has always been a good run-blocker but poor pass blocker but moves back to his natural center position. As a junior, he is poised to take the next step.

Dont sleep on Ahmed. He ran a laser timed 4.29 and is a Homerun threat. We also have McClutchens back from injury. Most importantly, Oregon State hired away our OC, Jonathan Smith, thank the Lord. A tinkerer, Smith was pass happy, even when our run game dominated. Instead of wearing out the opponents—time of possession— Smith tried tricking the opponents instead of beating them down.

Our receiving core, young and inexperienced except for Dante Pettis, has another year of experience plus we get McClutchens back from injury. Many of the receivers were top 100 overall recruits at any position. They have size and speed and come from sophisticated pass offenses. They are good blockers as well. 

Although we lost Vea, we still have Gaines, a projected late second to third rounder. He is a run plugger and neutralized Alabama as a sophomore. If you watched the game, we held Bama in check, even had the lead. Two big plays cost us.  On defense, Vea and Gaines blew up Bama's OL but our small LB's couldn't bring Scarborough down, who exploded for a long TD run. Outside of that Browning threw a costly pick six, when Ruben Foster overwhelmed Fr. Nick Harris on a blitz.

Other than that we held our own and we have more experience. Also our DB's are probably the best in the nation and deep. Its an embarrassment of riches. Both of our corners will probably go in the first round, Miller maybe falls into the 2nd. Our safety Taylor Rapp has been mentioned anywhere from top-ten overall to latter part of the first round. The rest of our DB's, including the incoming FR. would start for most Power-5 teams this year. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

His homerism is only rivaled by yours. Speak for yourself. I’ve said countless of times we could definitely lose this game. Crowd Dominance is super overrated in my eyes. What it really will come down to is coaching. 

Coach Pete has the 2nd highest WP% in CFB for coaches with a minimum of 100 games . He took over a program in disarray—throw out the first two rebuilding years at UW.

nk

Coach Name

School

Conf.

Compensation

Yrs.

W

L

T

Win %

Yrs.

W

L

T

Win %

W

L

W L

Chip Kelly

UCLA

Pac-12

$6,000,000

0 0

Lincoln Riley

Oklahoma

Big 12 

$4,000,000

0 0

Urban Meyer

Ohio State

Big Ten

$7,000,000

0 0

Chris Petersen

Washington

Pac 12

$5,000,000

0 0

Lance Leipold

Buffalo

MAC

$600,000

0 0

Jimbo Fisher Texas A&M 53 SEC $7,500,000 9 83 23 0 .783 1 0 0 0 .000 0 0 0 0

Nick Saban

Alabama

SEC

$12,000,000

0 0

Joe Moglia

Coastal Carolina

Sun Belt

$750,000

0 0

Dabo Swinney Clemson 49 ACC $8,500,000 11 101 30 0 .771 11 101 29 0 .771 12 2 0 0

7 minutes ago, Baysman said:

Coach Pete has the 2nd highest WP% in CFB for coaches with a minimum of 100 games . He took over a program in disarray—throw out the first two rebuilding years at UW.

nk

Coach Name

School

Conf.

Compensation

Yrs.

W

L

T

Win %

Yrs.

W

L

T

Win %

W

L

W L

Chip Kelly

UCLA

Pac-12

$6,000,000

0 0

Lincoln Riley

Oklahoma

Big 12 

$4,000,000

0 0

Urban Meyer

Ohio State

Big Ten

$7,000,000

0 0

Chris Petersen

Washington

Pac 12

$5,000,000

0 0

Lance Leipold

Buffalo

MAC

$600,000

0 0

Jimbo Fisher Texas A&M 53 SEC $7,500,000 9 83 23 0 .783 1 0 0 0 .000 0 0 0 0

Nick Saban

Alabama

SEC

$12,000,000

0 0

Joe Moglia

Coastal Carolina

Sun Belt

$750,000

0 0

Dabo Swinney Clemson 49 ACC $8,500,000 11 101 30 0 .771 11 101 29 0 .771 12 2 0 0

I have nothing but respect for coach Peterson. I have always maintained that UW has the coaching advantage which is why this game worries me so much. Won’t hear any argument from me on that standpoint. 

14 minutes ago, Baysman said:

Running the football. Gaskin has averaged 1300 + yards over his Husky career, his YPC—6.2 last year—climbing each season. We had several injuries along the OL last year, including LT T. Adams, picked my many NFL pundits to be a top-5 overall pick. Throw in Caleb McGary a freakishly massive RT, projected to go in the top 3 rounds. Nick Harris has moved to center. He started at guard as a true freshman, and was the OL Bama exploited in the semi-final game. Harris has always been a good run-blocker but poor pass blocker but moves back to his natural center position. As a junior, he is poised to take the next step.

Dont sleep on Ahmed. He ran a laser timed 4.29 and is a Homerun threat. We also have McClutchens back from injury. Most importantly, Oregon State hired away our OC, Jonathan Smith, thank the Lord. A tinkerer, Smith was pass happy, even when our run game dominated. Instead of wearing out the opponents—time of possession— Smith tried tricking the opponents instead of beating them down.

Our receiving core, young and inexperienced except for Dante Pettis, has another year of experience plus we get McClutchens back from injury. Many of the receivers were top 100 overall recruits at any position. They have size and speed and come from sophisticated pass offenses. They are good blockers as well. 

Although we lost Vea, we still have Gaines, a projected late second to third rounder. He is a run plugger and neutralized Alabama as a sophomore. If you watched the game, we held Bama in check, even had the lead. Two big plays cost us.  On defense, Vea and Gaines blew up Bama's OL but our small LB's couldn't bring Scarborough down, who exploded for a long TD run. Outside of that Browning threw a costly pick six, when Ruben Foster overwhelmed Fr. Nick Harris on a blitz.

Other than that we held our own and we have more experience. Also our DB's are probably the best in the nation and deep. Its an embarrassment of riches. Both of our corners will probably go in the first round, Miller maybe falls into the 2nd. Our safety Taylor Rapp has been mentioned anywhere from top-ten overall to latter part of the first round. The rest of our DB's, including the incoming FR. would start for most Power-5 teams this year. 

Except Pettis is playing on Sundays now...

17 minutes ago, Baysman said:

You guys definitely have the advantage from the secondary stand point. Even have a preseason all American. Our O-Line is green so that worries me a bit, but I still think in the trenches we will be more overpowering ( I can be wrong). My fear is that Coach Peterson will force us to pass the ball, where we have been limited in doing in the past. I also think our defensive line will wreak havoc, so I can’t say I am too worried about the running game from Washington. However, the passing game could be a pleasant suprise. I think both teams will have to air it out to be honest. I also think it will be a low scoring affair. I can’t see either team blowing one or the other out. To me it is going to come down to coaching and turnovers. The talent factor is short sighted in my mind, which you will hear a lot. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

We should always roll out the red carpet for opposing fans and then graciously hand them a tissue after the game.

Or a roll of tp at home games!

14 minutes ago, Baysman said:

Running the ball is going to be key for both teams. My biggest concern for us on offense, is also our greatest strength on defense - our lines. 

I will say that our running scheme is going to be very different from Alabama's. We are going to stretch the field a lot more. I would expect to see that in order to help neutralize and wear down Gaines in the middle.  Where Gaines worries me the most is over Kaleb Kim, our presumed starter at center. Reportedly, we've had trouble snapping the ball during fall camp. That's certainly a concern for me going into this game, especially considering the task that we will have in blocking Gaines.

As seems to be the trend each and every year under Gus Malzahn, our offense will go with our running game. Luckily, we have arguably the best defensive line in the country to line up against every day in practice. If we are able to establish a running game, I don't see any way that Auburn loses this game. 

I'll also add that my greatest concern in facing Washington's secondary isn't in the pass game, it's in the outside run game and the quick screen game. These are staples of the Auburn offense that a talented secondary can have a big impact in mitigating. We need our wide receivers to block well just as much as our inexperienced offensive line. 

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

And, one more thing. Bill Taylor is the best damned long-snapper in the country. So, we've got that going for us. 

3uVgKc4.jpg

They've never seen SEC long snapping. They ain't ready for this. Or Atlanta humidity. In a dome. 

43 minutes ago, Baysman said:

UW had the 46th ranked rush offense last year(180.8) down from the previous year of 43. Auburn faced UGA(9), UAt(10), Miss St (12), LSU(28), Clemson(34),  and Missouri (38). All had better rushing offenses than UW. We held those teams to 3.7 ypc. and 139 ypg.  

Passing wise, UW ranked 70th last year in YPG and 79th in YPCompletion  Missouri ranked 20th in YPG and 8th YPCompletion.

Missouri seems to have had a better offense than UW last year. 

Last year we beat Missouri 51-14

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/rushing-yards-per-game

17 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Passing wise, UW ranked 70th last year in YPG and 79th in YPCompletion  Missouri ranked 20th in YPG and 8th YPCompletion.

Missouri seems to have had a better offense than UW last year. 

Last year we beat Missouri 51-14

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/rushing-yards-per-game

Ouch!

Archived