Know your opponent

bigbird

The Udub RB Gattis is legit. That young man can play football. 1,300+ per season for 3 seasons, and that was sharing touches with Coleman. The announcer said Coleman was getting about 1/3 of the carries. (I haven't checked to see if that is accurate, but I know Coleman was getting a good number of carries throughout the games against Penn State, Stanford, Utah and other tough games.

The Washington OL is big. I don't know about nimble, but they are big. Still, teams were getting to Browning, making him run around. He's pretty good at that. And his completion ratio is good.

Udub will be breaking in a new crop of wide receivers. But they'll also have a new offensive coordinator. So, harder to plan for their play calling strategy, but maybe the receivers will not be in sync with Browning yet.

That said, Gattis is really good catching the ball out of the backfield.

Vita Vea is gone, but their DL is still hefty. Not the fastest, craftiest bunch, but hard to move. They play a style of defense I have not noticed much in the SEC, with 3 deep backs. Since they lost two of their starting LBs, I wonder if this will open up the mid-level on play action even more than last year. That seemed to be one of their vulnerabilities, and weak side coverage, which was effectively man.  I know Gus gets really nervous abut throwing over the middle, but I actually heard the word "slant" spoken during fall camp.

If Auburn cannot contain Gattis, it will be a long day.  And we can always expect the unexpected from Petersen -- the "guru of trickeration" I think Gus called him.

However, Auburn averaged about 50 yards of offense per game more than Washington last season, and to my eyes, the defenses of Bama, UGA, LSU and Miss State were all better than Washington's. Even with KJ gone, I think Auburn has enough offensive firepower to move the ball on the Huskies.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, DAG said:

I don’t necessarily disagree with any of that but from top to bottom , UW is not more talented than Bama, UGA or LSU. Doesn’t mean they won’t be a better team 

I agree with them both having better teams as you noticed I said that UW would be the tougher opponent because of the other things I listed. They have very good personnel ( not quite SEC class) but they are catching us at the right time for them. I am pretty sure we will be a better and more battle hardened team come November.

2 hours ago, AURex said:

The Udub RB Gattis is legit. That young man can play football. 1,300+ per season for 3 seasons, and that was sharing touches with Coleman. The announcer said Coleman was getting about 1/3 of the carries. (I haven't checked to see if that is accurate, but I know Coleman was getting a good number of carries throughout the games against Penn State, Stanford, Utah and other tough games.

The Washington OL is big. I don't know about nimble, but they are big. Still, teams were getting to Browning, making him run around. He's pretty good at that. And his completion ratio is good.

Udub will be breaking in a new crop of wide receivers. But they'll also have a new offensive coordinator. So, harder to plan for their play calling strategy, but maybe the receivers will not be in sync with Browning yet.

That said, Gattis is really good catching the ball out of the backfield.

Vita Vea is gone, but their DL is still hefty. Not the fastest, craftiest bunch, but hard to move. They play a style of defense I have not noticed much in the SEC, with 3 deep backs. Since they lost two of their starting LBs, I wonder if this will open up the mid-level on play action even more than last year. That seemed to be one of their vulnerabilities, and weak side coverage, which was effectively man.  I know Gus gets really nervous abut throwing over the middle, but I actually heard the word "slant" spoken during fall camp.

If Auburn cannot contain Gattis, it will be a long day.  And we can always expect the unexpected from Petersen -- the "guru of trickeration" I think Gus called him.

However, Auburn averaged about 50 yards of offense per game more than Washington last season, and to my eyes, the defenses of Bama, UGA, LSU and Miss State were all better than Washington's. Even with KJ gone, I think Auburn has enough offensive firepower to move the ball on the Huskies.

Myles Gaskin can't be any good. He's 5'10" and only 194 lbs...

Hey, NorwegianHusky...

19 hours ago, bigbird said:

Myles Gaskin can't be any good. He's 5'10" and only 194 lbs...

This is what people call sarcasm...

Click if you need help with that definition.

I want to clear up some confusion on UW defenses weakness.

We did not lose 2 Linebackers last year. Media might try to convince you that Connor Obrien and Azeem victor will be tough to replace. They might have been our starters in 2016 but both were passed up by the end of that year. Their replacements already have over a season of starting experience. We do lose 1 starter in Keishawn Bierria but Tevis Bartlett will be sliding inside to his more natural position and Ryan Bowman and Benning Potoa'e will take over both outside spots after splitting time 50/50 at one last year so everyone will be experienced.

And dont think you will be power running up the middle. Our Linebackers are big. Outside we have Ryan bowman 260 lbs and Benning Potoa'e 270lbs(down from 290 last year). Inside is Tevis Bartlett 235lbs and BenBurrKirven 220 lbs. 

If your looking for A Weakness your team can exploit it's an outside draw. Our OLB/DE hybrids are huge but they have struggled with speed. Once the DBs get off the line of scrimmage their is room to work your speed back on outside. On the same line Stidham needs to get out of the pocket and create extra time for his WRs to get open.

One more thing. Dont trust any depth charts or starting counts you see. Petersen doesnt release a depth chart ever and those numbers are guesses made by media interns. Ask the fans to know whose really played.

3 minutes ago, MylesJBryant said:

I want to clear up some confusion on UW defenses weakness.

We did not lose 2 Linebackers last year. Media might try to convince you that Connor Obrien and Azeem victor will be tough to replace. They might have been our starters in 2016 but both were passed up by the end of that year. Their replacements already have over a season of starting experience. We do lose 1 starter in Keishawn Bierria but Tevis Bartlett will be sliding inside to his more natural position and Ryan Bowman and Benning Potoa'e will take over both outside spots after splitting time 50/50 at one last year so everyone will be experienced.

And dont think you will be power running up the middle. Our Linebackers are big. Outside we have Ryan bowman 260 lbs and Benning Potoa'e 270lbs(down from 290 last year). Inside is Tevis Bartlett 235lbs and BenBurrKirven 220 lbs. 

If your looking for A Weakness your team can exploit it's an outside draw. Our OLB/DE hybrids are huge but they have struggled with speed. Once the DBs get off the line of scrimmage their is room to work your speed back on outside. On the same line Stidham needs to get out of the pocket and create extra time for his WRs to get open.

One more thing. Dont trust any depth charts or starting counts you see. Petersen doesnt release a depth chart ever and those numbers are guesses made by media interns. Ask the fans to know whose really played.

Sounds like a challenge to me.

4 minutes ago, MylesJBryant said:

Bummer! Definitely don't see how we can run it up the middle against 2 average-sized linebackers and 2 defensive ends. We're certainly not used to facing large or fast defenses. 

Did anybody tell Chip about this? How are we just now hearing?

8 minutes ago, MylesJBryant said:

Your OLB are stand up ends. And they're not that big.   If anything, I'd run straight at them. As far as your ILB go, that's about the avg SEC LB size.  It's not new.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Your OLB are stand up ends. And they're not that big.   If anything, I'd run straight at them. As far as your ILB go, that's about the avg SEC LB size.  It's not new.

260 and 270 on the ends?  Our OL and RBs face 280+ on the ends every day in practice.  Can't say I'm concerned about the "big" LBs he's talking about here.

31 minutes ago, MylesJBryant said:

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Ok, this was just damn funny. I don't care who you are.

It's entirely possible (First Game Gus always scares me) we could lose this game but I am highly amused at their definition of "big" LBs

Here's what jumps out a me w/ regards to the UW chart:  LG and RG.  Sophomore and a RS Freshman against our interior line.  I'll take that all day.

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Meanwhile, the depth chart for Ole Miss. @MylesJBryant, we ran for 326 yards on this defense last year.

DlnoCicXsAIYt-K.jpg

I LOVE OleMrs.'s "Pronunciation Guide" at the bottom. Haha

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

3 guys 6'7 or taller is nuts. 

It'll be like we're playing Arkansas

55 minutes ago, MylesJBryant said:

And dont think you will be power running up the middle. Our Linebackers are big.

So, Auburn won't be able to successfully run 17 straight runs up the middle?  ....nnnNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry on the confusion. When I was saying BIG I was mainly referring to the Outside guys. Havent seen any line backers that are 260, 270+ after spending the entire offseason slimming down.

Biggest one on your roster is 253. So yes they are BIG Backs, unless you want to admit your linebackers are small. Even inside Tevis would be the biggest Back on your roster. If he is average for the SEC are you saying auburn's undersized defense will struggle this year?

Potoa'e was going to be moved to Nose Tackle this year but committed to reshaping his body and dropping 30 lbs. You ain't seen anyone like him

1 minute ago, MylesJBryant said:

Sorry on the confusion. When I was saying BIG I was mainly referring to the Outside guys. Havent seen any line backers that are 260, 270+ after spending the entire offseason slimming down.

Biggest one on your roster is 253. So yes they are BIG Backs, unless you want to admit your linebackers are small. Even inside Tevis would be the biggest Back on your roster. If he is average for the SEC are you saying auburn's undersized defense will struggle this year?

Potoa'e was going to be moved to Nose Tackle this year but committed to reshaping his body and dropping 30 lbs. You ain't seen anyone like him

:wavey: Hi.

I don't mean to be rude, but I do believe you are speaking out of your ass. 

14 minutes ago, MylesJBryant said:

Again, your OLB are stand up DE. Please try to understand your defense a little bit better.   If you want to try and compare them do so according to their counterparts.  

BTW, did our defense struggle last year? I ask, because we only lost 3 off of it and actually, IMO, upgraded one of those 3.

Archived