Know your opponent

bigbird

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

".........I believe in Auburn and love it."

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Guess that is true....considering that bama and Uga are rated even higher based on recruiting / talent.    Udub might be the third or 4th best team we play....but as has been discussed at length, we have had some difficulty getting started with our season though they are probably not in Clemson's class.  

That's not the sunshine I was hoping for...

:poke:

UW is talented and well coached, and has several strengths. But they have a few things to be concerned about as well. Keeping their QB upright against our D-line, and how to shut down a future NFL QB who was good enough to beat two #1 teams last year are a couple of them. WDE!!!

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

I will have you covered on Monday when I post my typical thread the Monday before game day.  ?

I would place UW in the same arena as UGA & bammer. We are playing the toughest non-conference opponent that any SEC will have to face this season in UW. Who keeps having us playing a top 5 team to kick off our season? We have a decent chance of winning this game no doubt, but why not schedule a decent team to start the season instead of a top 5 team?

7 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I would place UW in the same arena as UGA & bammer. We are playing the toughest non-conference opponent that any SEC will have to face this season in UW. Who keeps having us playing a top 5 team to kick off our season? We have a decent chance of winning this game no doubt, but why not schedule a decent team to start the season instead of a top 5 team?

Seriously, why can't we play Rutgers or Indiana and get credit for beating a Big 10 team?

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

I haven't seen enough of them to give an informed opinion really.  I do think their secondary is better than our receivers, so we will need to be able to out scheme them.  Their 2-4-5 defense that they like will take away our screen game so we will need to adjust to that.  

I think they will be weakest up the middle so I would expect us to attack that area in the run game.

If that’s true smart money would be on Whitlow having the hot hand in this one ☝?.

25 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Outside of USCe playing Clemson, I'd have to agree.

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Oh.....well, let me give this some more thought. :-\    I'll get back to you....

9 hours ago, bigbird said:

I haven't seen enough of them to give an informed opinion really.  I do think their secondary is better than our receivers, so we will need to be able to out scheme them.  Their 2-4-5 defense that they like will take away our screen game so we will need to adjust to that.  

I think they will be weakest up the middle so I would expect us to attack that area in the run game.

Oh brother ? Anybody believe Gus/Chip does that?

If if we run a jet sweep with either Schwartz or Shivers, we should have enough speed to make some good yardage. Do you think Gus will do this?

13 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

If if we run a jet sweep with either Schwartz or Shivers, we should have enough speed to make some good yardage. Do you think Gus will do this?

Well, he hasn't hesitated to do that historically, so sure. I totally expect to see that. 

(Hope that doesn't jinx the chances. :()

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

If that’s true smart money would be on Whitlow having the hot hand in this one ☝?.

I don't know, Shivers might push for that one, because he runs between the tackles at warp speed.

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

Did against Arkansas on the first play from scrimmage or not long after with Eli Stove.

20 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I don't know, Shivers might push for that one, because he runs between the tackles at warp speed.

And my goodness, if he gets past the second level....

On 8/25/2018 at 1:59 PM, DAG said:

Well brace yourself because we will be facing two or three more teams this year with a lot more talent than UW.

Actually I think UW might actually be the toughest test we face and here is why . 1 they are not a yearly opponent such as other teams we play. 2 Peterson is a lot better offensive coach than we will see the rest of the year. 3 they have probably spent a lot more prep time on us than we on them, mainly because our schedule is much tougher than their’s. 4 Gus has in the past struggled with the early games usually trying to overthink things. Hoping number 4 ceases to be this year. 5. Hotlanta has not been kind to us lately. All said I think we will win this one and the confidence will bode us well for the remainder of the year. WDE beat them Huskies.

Know your opponent the OP says. Okay, I watched the entire games on YouTube of Udub vs all 2017 opponents. Here are my observations:

1. The Udub defense is overrated. IMO, it's not as good as Bama, UGA, LSU or even MIss State. They built their stats playing weak opponents (as the PAC12 performance in bowl season verifies). Stanford (3 losses going into the Udub game), Utah (4 losses), and Penn State all demonstrated that it is possible to run the ball and exploit the secondary. (I'm really, really glad we aren't playing Penn State. Barkley got the press, but McSorely is also a nightmare.)

2. The top receiver and Vita Vea and the two top LBs are gone. They are stout up the middle, but not so much off the edge. But it takes patience and grind to run on them.

3. If you get pressure on Browning, his completion percentage drops. Yes, he can run around. But a defender in his face, esp in the pocket, he gets shook. Of course, that was last year.

4. The two RBs, Gaskins and Coleman, are genuine stars. If you cannot contain them, they will eat you alive and open up the passing game. Browning is a 4th year starter and mobile enough to buy time, but not much of a threat to run.

5. Their star kick/punt returner is gone. Their FG kicker sux. (I hope he has not been replaced!)

After watching the Washington games from last year, I think Auburn can compete with this team. Unfortunately, CGM is not good early in the season and Auburn is not good in that stadium. We gotta knock off points for that.

Toss up.

7 minutes ago, AURex said:

Know your opponent the OP says. Okay, I watched the entire games on YouTube of Udub vs all 2017 opponents. Here are my observations:

1. The Udub defense is overrated. IMO, it's not as good as Bama, UGA, LSU or even MIss State. They built their stats playing weak opponents (as the PAC12 performance in bowl season verifies). Stanford (3 losses going into the Udub game), Utah (4 losses), and Penn State all demonstrated that it is possible to run the ball and exploit the secondary. (I'm really, really glad we aren't playing Penn State. Barkley got the press, but McSorely is also a nightmare.)

2. The top receiver and Vita Vea and the two top LBs are gone. They are stout up the middle, but not so much off the edge. But it takes patience and grind to run on them.

3. If you get pressure on Browning, his completion percentage drops. Yes, he can run around. But a defender in his face, esp in the pocket, he gets shook. Of course, that was last year.

4. The two RBs, Gaskins and Coleman, are genuine stars. If you cannot contain them, they will eat you alive and open up the passing game. Browning is a 4th year starter and mobile enough to buy time, but not much of a threat to run.

5. Their star kick/punt returner is gone. Their FG kicker sux. (I hope he has not been replaced!)

After watching the Washington games from last year, I think Auburn can compete with this team. Unfortunately, CGM is not good early in the season and Auburn is not good in that stadium. We gotta knock off points for that.

Toss up.

With them not having Pettis this year, commit to stopping gaskins and Coleman at all costs and let the chips fall where they may. 

Another thing I read about them was they play much better at home than on the road, but the same could be said for Auburn.  I would feel better about that fact if we had not had the last two losses where we are playing (just call me captain obvious).

Here is a really good game-week interview with UW Coach Chris Petersen. I like his level-headed thoughts about this game. What he doesn't say, but knows, is that UW has much less to lose in this game. They have a much easier schedule going forward. So even if they lose against Auburn, they still have a much easier road to their conference championship and a top bowl, if not the playoff. Auburn has much more to lose. As difficult as Auburn's schedule is, the game is more critical as far as the season is concerned.

I like Petersen's comments about playing against Auburn and the perceptions/feelings abut playing one of the better SEC teams.

A comment by a reader about the article -- " No worries coach - UW will man-handle AUB - - their pretty boy qb Stidem will be easy prey for your stout defense. UW 28 - AU 7" Petersen would probably punch the guy out for making such a stupid remark!

Here is the interview. It's a good read. It tells me a lot about our opponent.

13 hours ago, Sani-Freeze said:

Is sana -flush still open? That’s what we called it, endearingly of course, back 1982! Loved that hole in the wall little place. Also loved “soap and suds laundry “ too, wash clothes and drink beer and play Tron...

Archived