Know your opponent

bigbird

https://247sports.com/college/washington/Article/Washington-Huskies-Spring-Football-Position-Preview-Defensive-Line--116632915/Amp/

Final Thoughts

You can't replace Vita Vea. Duh. Instead, the Huskies will have to fill in his production by committee. Spring will give some players that were just outside of the rotation last year the opportunity to work towards developing a role heading into the 2018 season.

Upperclassmen like Jason Scrempos, Shane Bowman, and Jared Pulu can fight to get ahead on Washington's seating chart heading into the fall. John Clark and Jarryn Bush both didn't get the chance to play in games last year, and can use spring to show what they can do and make a case for a role in the upcoming season.

Towards the top of the depth chart, Washington has a handful of known quantities. Greg Gaines is Washington's nose. There's no doubt about that. Jaylen Johnsonwill get to show what he can do as a featured defensive lineman for the Huskies; however, Levi Onwuzurike won't make securing a starting spot easy for Johnson as he builds on his freshman season.

The Huskies have the depth to play six or seven players on their defensive line. Spring will be the beginning of organizing the seating chart before this year's talented recruiting class roles in.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://247sports.com/college/washington/Article/Washington-Huskies-Spring-Position-Preview-Linebackers-116664336/Amp/

Final Thoughts

When you think about it, it's pretty incredible that Washington lost four senior linebackers to graduation, but return nearly two-thirds of their total tackles and three-quarters of their tackles for loss and sacks. That speaks to the quality of the depth and the coaches' willingness to put depth players in higher-leverage situations. That's how they learn and grow.

Those numbers would imply that more seniors would be coming down the pike this coming season, but that's not the case. Only two scholarship players will exhaust their eligibility after the 2018 season, Tevis Bartlettand Ben Burr-Kirven. But those players bring a lot of productivity and will certainly be missed.

Since this is their last spring, they need to maximize it. And by doing so, they won't just be setting themselves up for a great final campaign, but they'll be making the guys around them better for years to come. That's what seniors have to do as key cogs of a Pete Kwiatkowski and Jimmy Lake-designed defense.

Others, like DJ Beavers, Benning Potoa'e, Ryan Bowman and Brandon Wellingtonsimply need to refine their craft this spring and store their wrath for later in the year. They are going to need to unleash it this fall.

But this spring is huge for the younger players and the upperclassmen whose time has come to impose themselves on a crowded depth chart. Kyler Manu, that means you. No time like the present.

And for the talented sophomore and redshirt freshman classes, there's plenty of players that need to start the work of creating separation for the fall. The fact that Lake is taking over the DC job in name won't matter at all to Kwiatkowski as he figures out which outside linebackers are ready to take that next step up. Amandre Williams, Myles Rice, Camilo Eifler, Joe Tryon, Ariel Ngata - it's a crowded room and someone needs to emerge. If Coach K has his way, April should be a Dawg-eat-Dawg kind of month. The competition for those spots should be fierce, and it needs to be if Washington plans on hitting the ground running this fall in Atlanta.

https://247sports.com/college/washington/Article/Washington-Huskies-Spring-Position-Preview-Defensive-Backs-116692854/Amp/

Final Thoughts

With Lake's added duties as the defensive coordinator, Harris was brought in to handle the day-to-day functions in the secondary, but make no mistake, Lake will be heavily involved with coaching this unit until the time comes for him to leave Montlake for a head coaching gig.

The Huskies are talented and deep at corner and while safety might seem a bit on the thin side, we could see at least one player -- cough -- Austin Joyner -- cough -- make the move.

No matter what happens, the competition level in the secondary is outstanding and it will only get better when the Huskies welcome highly-touted players like Kyler Gordon and Julius Irvin and one of the most underrated prospects in the country, Dominique Hampton, to the fold this summer.

There's a ways to go, but this could be yet another special year in the Husky deep patrol and this spring will give the coaches a great sense on what they have to work with.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

https://247sports.com/college/washington/Article/Washington-Huskies-Spring-Football-Position-Preview-Defensive-Line--116632915/Amp/

Final Thoughts

You can't replace Vita Vea. Duh. Instead, the Huskies will have to fill in his production by committee. Spring will give some players that were just outside of the rotation last year the opportunity to work towards developing a role heading into the 2018 season.

Upperclassmen like Jason Scrempos, Shane Bowman, and Jared Pulu can fight to get ahead on Washington's seating chart heading into the fall. John Clark and Jarryn Bush both didn't get the chance to play in games last year, and can use spring to show what they can do and make a case for a role in the upcoming season.

Towards the top of the depth chart, Washington has a handful of known quantities. Greg Gaines is Washington's nose. There's no doubt about that. Jaylen Johnsonwill get to show what he can do as a featured defensive lineman for the Huskies; however, Levi Onwuzurike won't make securing a starting spot easy for Johnson as he builds on his freshman season.

The Huskies have the depth to play six or seven players on their defensive line. Spring will be the beginning of organizing the seating chart before this year's talented recruiting class roles in.

Bird, how do you think AU matches up on O-line here? This is my biggest concern by far. Thanks

@bigbird if you don’t mind giving your thoughts on all of the position group match-ups for their defense vs. our offense.  Thank you!

41 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

@bigbird if you don’t mind giving your thoughts on all of the position group match-ups for their defense vs. our offense.  Thank you!

I haven't seen enough of them to give an informed opinion really.  I do think their secondary is better than our receivers, so we will need to be able to out scheme them.  Their 2-4-5 defense that they like will take away our screen game so we will need to adjust to that.  

I think they will be weakest up the middle so I would expect us to attack that area in the run game.

31 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I haven't seen enough of them to give an informed opinion really.  I do think their secondary is better than our receivers, so we will need to be able to out scheme them.  Their 2-4-5 defense that they like will take away our screen game so we will need to adjust to that.  

I think they will be weakest up the middle so I would expect us to attack that area in the run game.

Suppose to have arguably the best secondary in the nation. I am pretty sure I saw one of their players as a preseason all American . That is one of their strong suits.

40 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Be a good early test for Kim at center. I feel good about guard position, unsure elsewhere.

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

Suppose to have arguably the best secondary in the nation. I am pretty sure I saw one of their players as a preseason all American . That is one of their strong suits.

Not only are they uber-talented, their scheme consistently puts them in position to be successful and it allows them to stress the O from multiple positions and angles.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Not only are they uber-talented, their scheme consistently puts them in position to be successful and it allows them to stress the O from multiple positions and angles.

We better be ready, and we better be ready to adapt on the fly 

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

We're going to have to win in the trenches and force them to bring an extra guy in the box to stop the run.  Should get them out of scheme some and play man-to-man on the receivers later.  Fortunately I think we can run successfully on UW.

Would also behoove us to use Davis in some drag routes to get him matched up with LBs.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

So you’re saying run up the middle on first down to open up the outside on 2nd and 3rd. ?

21 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

So you’re saying run up the middle on first down to open up the outside on 2nd and 3rd. ?

They'll never see it coming.

16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

What will?

Reading in the Sunday Paper about how Auburn kicked UDub's arse up and down the field.  ?

2 hours ago, alexava said:

This thread doesn’t help my confidence....

Well brace yourself because we will be facing two or three more teams this year with a lot more talent than UW.

48 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well brace yourself because we will be facing two or three more teams this year with a lot more talent than UW.

Guess that is true....considering that bama and Uga are rated even higher based on recruiting / talent.    Udub might be the third or 4th best team we play....but as has been discussed at length, we have had some difficulty getting started with our season though they are probably not in Clemson's class.  

Archived