Know your opponent

bigbird

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

How do you think I will attack our defense?

I sure hope you don't, but I imagine it would be of the "pecking" variety of attacks. Hopefully you've been trimming your beak. 

Perhaps a swoop and grab? 

2vI1.gif

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

I sure hope you don't, but I imagine it would be of the "pecking" variety of attacks. Hopefully you've been trimming your beak. 

2vI1.gif

Dang autocorrect...

Nice one, B

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

@MylesJBryant 

How do you think I will attack our defense?

How do you think UW will defend our offense?

Hell, if I had to scheme for Auburn’s defense, I would spend a good amount of time planning around mitigating pass rush. I would minimize the amount of long developing plays and take calculated shots. By that I mean use screens, quick outs and slants to condition the defense to keep collapsing on my plays. If I could establish a pattern of safeties rolling down and or one on one coverage, I would trust my Senior QB to give my Wrs a chance at some 50-50 balls.

If I was scheming for Washington’s defense (as Auburn), I would want to learn as fast as possible how my new OL was going to handle their defense. Their alignment is interesting and almost invited you to run against it. I will take my lumps though as I want to establish my run game. If I can establish a run game, I work most of my passing off play action. Once the defense begins to bring extra bodies in run blitz, I would start throwing bubble and tunnel screens to create some mismatches on the outside. It will be tempting to take the top off the coverage, but if they are letting me run for 4-5yds a pop, I’m gonna eat it up. 

Im not sure why, but I have this feeling that we are gonna be able to run on them, especially early on. Maybe it’s just the select games I’ve watched, but they don’t like to load the box much. It’s almost like they sit just outside of it to trap you into a bad play. In a way it’s similar to what I saw last year with UGA. They were only putting 6 guys maybe 7 in the box against UF and UF was just gashing them with the run game inside. Obviously UGA would just ride the waves until UF got in the red zone and it would stall out. UGA did the same thing against us, but once UGA brought extra help, we countered it with well timed screens and misdirection. I’m getting that same vibe from Washington. Again, I have no clue why.

12 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

Im not sure why, but I have this feeling that we are gonna be able to run on them

I'll tell you exactly why. They gave up 247 rushing yards to Oregon (ranked 13th in the country at 251 ypg), 195 to Stanford (25th/202.4) and 203 to Penn State (56th/170.2). In other words, they allow teams to do what they do on the ground. 

We ran for 218 ypg last season. We had 2 top 5, 4 top 10 and 5 top 15 defenses on our schedule. 

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

@MylesJBryant 

How do you think UW will attack our defense?

How do you think UW will defend our offense?

BigWhiskey is pretty dialed in.

We will not stack the box. Especially since you have an inexperienced Oline and RB. Look out for 5 or 6 DBs on the field. They will shut down quick passes outside and dare you to run up the middle. Lake Kawasaki has no problem letting you get an easy 3 yards a play. Stopping explosive plays is no1 priority. But on obvious run plays they will bring in the beef to match.

Offense will give you a bit of everything. Most of you are focused on the passing and hit that spot on. What your missing is how much we will use TEs and that we are not a pass first offense. Some drives we will go 2-3 tight ends on the field at a time. UW wont be afraid to try power runnung on you. Contrary to popular belief, we do have a full back. Watch out for the direct snaps to Gaskin he has 100% first down conversion and 10+ ypc on these the last two years.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I'll tell you exactly why. They gave up 247 rushing yards to Oregon (ranked 13th in the country at 251 ypg), 195 to Stanford (25th/202.4) and 203 to Penn State (56th/170.2). In other words, they allow teams to do what they do on the ground. 

We ran for 218 ypg last season. We had 2 top 5, 4 top 10 and 5 top 15 defenses on our schedule. 

Oregon had 55 rushes and 13 passes. They scored 3 points. If racking up running yards is your goal you'll do great. But if you want to win the game it's not gonna work that way.

You do not have a running back on your team like Saquon or Love or an experienced oline to match.

6 minutes ago, MylesJBryant said:

You do not have a running back on your team like Saquon or Love or an experienced oline to match.

True. Biggest two question marks on the team. 

Watch out for No. 23 Ryan Davis, though. 

Anyone else feel like Davis is poised to have a monster year? I feel like he is going to pick up right where he left off. He's got to be one of the most talented returning players in the SEC that no one seems to be talking about at all.

I'm predicting a 10 catch 100+ yard performance on Saturday. 

For reference:

Hell of a highlight reel. 

Edit: While I'm still gushing about Ryan Davis...This guy plays with 100% intensity on every single play. The other thing I love about him, is he is a one-step, get up the field kind of guy who fights for every yard after the catch. He's fighting to get into the end-zone every time he touches the ball. I hope @djg0017 doesn't mind, but if he'll allow it I'd love to adopt #23 as my "step" man-crush. 

27 minutes ago, MylesJBryant said:

We will not stack the box. Especially since you have an inexperienced Oline and RB. Look out for 5 or 6 DBs on the field. They will shut down quick passes outside and dare you to run up the middle. Lake Kawasaki has no problem letting you get an easy 3 yards a play. Stopping explosive plays is no1 priority. But on obvious run plays they will bring in the beef to match.

Offense will give you a bit of everything. Most of you are focused on the passing and hit that spot on. What your missing is how much we will use TEs and that we are not a pass first offense. Some drives we will go 2-3 tight ends on the field at a time. UW wont be afraid to try power runnung on you. Contrary to popular belief, we do have a full back. Watch out for the direct snaps to Gaskin he has 100% first down conversion and 10+ ypc on these the last two years.

If you think you are going to stop our running without stacking the box and utilizing 5-6 DBs to allow us free reign up the middle , you are going to be in for a rude awakening.

Just now, AU Is Gold said:

Biggest thing that worries me about Washington, they don't turn the ball over. 

That won't matter if they have to keep punting!

3 and out for Washington all game please!!!

I wish it were that easy...turnovers could be huge in this game.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

If you think you are going to stop our running without stacking the box and utilizing 5-6 DBs to allow us free reign up the middle , you are going to be in for a rude awakening.

No way Washington plays 6 DBs. Offensive line and RB are inexperienced, but not in a way where we play like Washington St. throwing 60 times a game.

5 minutes ago, AU Is Gold said:

No way Washington plays 6 DBs. Offensive line and RB are inexperienced, but not in a way where we play like Washington St. throwing 60 times a game.

It will be Missouri all over again in 2013 when they ran that 3-2-6 defense and we galloped all up and down the field on them. Btw , statistically that Missouri defense was pretty good. I trust our inexperienced RBs to deliver 

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

It will be Missouri all over again in 2013 when they ran that 3-2-6 defense and we galloped all up and down the field on them. Btw , statistically that Missouri defense was pretty good. I trust our inexperienced RBs to deliver 

I was thinking the EXACT same thing. Only difference is they weren't standing up any ends, which Washington likes to do. Missouri, for reasons that no one will ever be able to explain was playing a strict 3-3-5 for most of that 2nd half. And then we ran through it like butter. 

7 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I was thinking the EXACT same thing. Only difference is they weren't standing up any ends, which Washington likes to do. Missouri, for reasons that no one will ever be able to explain was playing a strict 3-3-5 for most of that 2nd half. And then we ran through it like butter. 

Very weird 

5 hours ago, Barnacle said:

2vI1.gif

dunna be messin with the bird lad. they make those "fear the beak" t shirts for a reason...............lol

If we were playing 6 of auburn's DBs you would be running all day on us. But we aren't. I assume you are familiar with Derwin James at FSU and how good he one is run support?

Well we got 5 Derwin James' on our Team. Taylor Rapp, JoJo McIntosh, Austin Joyner, Elijah Molden, Myles Bryant. These arent your soft Auburn DBs. They go after the running back and take them down. Now if you had a guy like Scarborough you corncerns about DB size would be valid and you could laugh at me all you want, but you dont. So be warned. Expect all of these guys to Play near the line at some point taking roles that normal go to line backers and DEs.  Especially watch for myles bryant who will use his speed and DB instincts to blow up all your screen passes while also standing up stout in the run game our coaches rave about this kid and how special he is despite not being the nfl scouts darling.

31 minutes ago, MylesJBryant said:

If we were playing 6 of auburn's DBs you would be running all day on us. But we aren't. I assume you are familiar with Derwin James at FSU and how good he one is run support?

Well we got 5 Derwin James' on our Team. Taylor Rapp, JoJo McIntosh, Austin Joyner, Elijah Molden, Myles Bryant. These arent your soft Auburn DBs. They go after the running back and take them down. Now if you had a guy like Scarborough you corncerns about DB size would be valid and you could laugh at me all you want, but you dont. So be warned. Expect all of these guys to Play near the line at some point taking roles that normal go to line backers and DEs.  Especially watch for myles bryant who will use his speed and DB instincts to blow up all your screen passes while also standing up stout in the run game our coaches rave about this kid and how special he is despite not being the nfl scouts darling.

While you are name dropping, our DBs are actually documented in run support against the Bo Scarborough of the world. 

Go to 5:30

1 on 1. We don’t just talk about it. How did y’all do against him?

Y'all typically are in a 2-4-5 defense, but when matched up against bigger run heavy teams you bring another DT and basically run a 3-3-5.  Both are extremely vulnerable to our run scheme.

2 hours ago, MylesJBryant said:

SOS 2017
AU - 1st
UW - 76th

y'all only played 2 teams inside the top 40 of the FEI. Those 2 teams are also your lone loses, Stanford and Penn State.

Stanford had 406 Total Yards, 211 Passing, 195 Rushing.

Penn State had 545 Total Yards, 342 Passing, 203 Rushing. i just read the best team you beat was washington state ranked at 50.

I came here to tell you about your opponent and learn about Auburn. Not sure why so many of you are trying to correct me about my own team who you have clearly never watched.

If you want to tell me our defense is bad or we wont be running 5-6 DBs go for it, we will. This is the only response you'll get from me. If you got a hidden gem at RB would or other playmakers that will exploit our weaknesses would love to hear about it.

I am feeling pretty good about this game now as it seems the only way most of you think you win this is based on convincing yourselves that washington is not a good team.

18 hours ago, MylesJBryant said:

I came here to tell you about your opponent and learn about Auburn. Not sure why so many of you are trying to correct me about my own team who you have clearly never watched.

If you want to tell me our defense is bad or we wont be running 5-6 DBs go for it. This is the only response you'll get from me. If you got a hidden gem at RB would love to hear about it.

I am feeling pretty good about this game now as it seems the only way most of you think you win this is based on convincing yourselves that washington is not a good team.

Nobody said Washington wasn’t good but you aren’t going to come around here and act like y’all have something we never seen before . You guys got a great secondary . Cool . We face good to great secondary players every year. We see speed every year. We face pretty dang good RBs every year. It is going to be a hard fought game , but don’t come around here and act like y’all have something that we at Auburn have never experienced before. Some of the guys that you are dismissive towards played against 3 out of 4 playoff teams last year . What are we even talking about here ?

Archived