Afternoon Radio Shows

RadioWryn

In the sports genre, three are on in the Auburn market..

"Conference Call" is a show that focuses on SEC sports, and I'm not really sure where they're based out of, but they run shows from various locales, including one last week at Auburn Links. They're part of the D-1 Sports Network, whatever that is.

"The Paul Finebaum Show" is a daily show out of Birmingham hosted by former UT grad Paul Finebaum. I think it goes without mentioning much more.

"Sports Call" is a show based out of Auburn, currently hosted by Bill Cameron, Jasher Cox, Ron Moore, or whoever is sucked in for the day.

--

For me personally, Finebaum, as much as I hate to say it, trumps the other two. Sports Call has been horrible since Andy Burcham left. I find Sports Call, although clean, to be weak with substance.

Conference Call is one I'm still trying to figure out. The hosts tend to be pro-Arkansas and pro-Ole Miss. Callers are taken about every third hour, and we get to listen to how Ed Orgeron is the Savior of Dixie for hours ad nauseum.

Finebaum .. well, at least it doesn't suck as bad as the other two.

Sporting News Radio is really our only choice down here without XM. The line up is a local guy, Phil Paramore, from 7-9. Then comes Max Howell from 9-12 and then they go to a national guy with Sporting News until 2:00 when Finebaum comes on for 5 long, painful hours.

Max Howell is an old guy with a permanent sinus condition that only talks about what's for dinner.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Finebaum, just to listen to his stupid Bama callers and his interviews, which tend to be interesting.

Guest Tigrinum Major
Herb and Ray- WJOX 690 :au:

153267[/snapback]

Surely you jest. Herb is so burned out on drugs that he is usually a day behind in the news and Ray is such a Bama homer from his days as a beat writer, it's ridiculous. At least Ben Cook is no longer there to bore everyone with his Cook's Corner drivel. And, no, I don't like talking about baseball 12 months out of the year.

JOX is ok as a fill-in between Rick and Bubba and Finebaum, but Herb and Ray are horrible.

Finebaum became a Bammer when he fell under Bear's spell as a Post-Herald sports reporter. So his show tends to be a Bama show with obnoxious Bama rednecks (sorry, double negative) calling in, and occasional good guests, though he has too many authors with book about Bama. He knows very very little about Auburn or our history. His format is to provoke people especially Auburn people.

Sorry to hear about the Auburn based show. I would like to hear it but it isn't available in Birmingham.

All that said, it is not football season so I listen to Hanity.

Guest Tigrinum Major
Finebaum became a Bammer when he fell under Bear's spell as a Post-Herald sports reporter.  So his show tends to be a Bama show with obnoxious Bama rednecks (sorry, double negative) calling in, and occasional good guests, though he has too many authors with book about Bama.  He knows very very little about Auburn or our history.  His format is to provoke people especially Auburn people.

Sorry to hear about the Auburn based show.  I would like to hear it but it isn't available in Birmingham.

All that said, it is not football season so I listen to Hanity.

153294[/snapback]

I don't disagree with your analysis of Finebaum. He does have a man crush on Bryant and Joe Willie Namath and Bart Starr.

His callers are hilarious at times. I love a Shane from Center Point on the heels of a Phyllis from Mulga. But Don from Downtown is my all time fav. You just can't make that kind of stuff up.

Like him or not, you have to give PF credit for catering to his target audience, which is primarily Alabama fans. He does have some great guests but I truly don't think the guy could name 10 players for either AU or UA. He just doesn't know a thing about sports. Honestly, listen to the content of his show which offers nothing in the way of meaningful analysis of a team or sport. He doesn't do it because he can't.

He simply picks a hot subject and throws it out there for his audience to debate it. He does it until the topic is beat to death, then he resurrects it and beats it some more. Then he moves on. For instance, how long was Fulmer the topic of his show? How long was Logan Young the hot item? He was the only one talking about Alvin The Racist Holmes until he finally realized it had become a non-issue. Now, he's going to milk the Daniel Moore non story for all it's worth.

Herb does a good interview. :au:

No, I don't jest. But I did stay @ a Holiday Inn Express last night. :roflol::thumbsup::au::big:

I listen to Herb and Ray on Jox basically because I have three options...none good.

1. Herb and Ray

2. Finebaum :puke:

3. WUMP (Huntsville): They constantly have host turnover and always pull new guys straight out of college from up north. I think their morning guy is from Boston, this has been horrible because of the BoSox and Pats recent success. The afternoon guy is from Chicago (I think), but worked in Florida for a while. They all are "AMAZED" at our passion for college football. They do good pro sports coverage, but they are all out of place down here. It seems the main topic on the afternoon show the last few times I listened was the local Arena League Football Team. :blink:

Atlanta

Morning commute: AM790 The Zone "Mayhem in the AM" - they're the only morning show that talks about sports. 680 sux in the morning.

Afternoon commute: AM680 The Fan "Buck & Kincade Show" - SEC sports usually discussed.

The KIMMER...ALLEGEDLY, ALLEGEDLY!!!

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS!!!! :big:

:au::homer:

www.finebaum.com........since i'm in Kentucky, it's really my only chance to hear 'live' bammer fans sound like idiots until i get to go home to Mobile for Christmas. :big:

listening makes me feel great to be an :au: man! WDE!

When I listen in the afternoon, it is to Finebaum, I would almost as soon have a root canal as listen to Herb Winches on WJOX 690. Finebaum has pretty good interviews. During football season, regular interviews with Pat Dye, Gene Stallings, Stan White, Andrew Zow, Jim Donnan & on Fridays before game day, Charlie Trottman. Charlie gives a great analysis of the games and what to expect.

I agree with you on herbie"uat"winches. I wish I could buy him for what he is worth and sell him for what he THINKS he is worth.

What a maroon. <_<

Herb is all about what ever is popular at the time.

I think they keep a front seat open for him on every bandwagon that drives through because everyone knows he's gonna jump on it!!

WDE!!

What really bugs me about Herb is the way it takes him five minutes to ask a question. He will ask and answer the question all in the same rambling five minute monolog with hardly no punctuation. Good Lord Herbie, get it through your thin skull that everyone is not in love with your voice like you are. :(

PF tends to have the best interviews of any show, but if only there were another decent show around. He does, by far, attract the most idiot callers. Shane, Phyllis, I-man, etc... :puke:

I channel surf between Sean Hannity, Thom Abraham (AM 730 WUMP in Huntsville), and PF. Now that the elections are over, I don't listen to Hannity as much and mostly listen to the Thom Abraham show. It is a local show that has a good mixture of local sports (high school sports, indoor football, hockey, etc) along with national sports. He actually talks about bass fishing on his show when a caller brings it up!

Houston has a couple of alternatives...

* AM 610 in the mornings is OK, even though I'm barely in the car for 10 minutes in the morning and absolutely cannot listen at work. The afternoon show used to be pretty good, but I can't listen to Rich and Mark together. Matt Jackson in the evening is a complete waste of bandwidth.

* AM 790 picked up ESPN Radio back in September and Mike & Mike in the morning are pretty good. Charlie Pallilo in the afternoons is the best thing going in Houston...dude knows his stuff and the idiot callers aren't the majority.

Archived