people feel like a QB change is the fix

Dual-Threat Rigby

1 minute ago, johnnyAU said:

There's no reaching. Gus is responsible for recruiting the OL that Grimes inherited, and the hiring of Grimes. He's also responsible for the offensive direction, even if he doesn't call every single play now, and he's ultimately responsible for Stidham's development, or lack thereof.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Did you complain this much last year heading into UGA and the Iron Bowl? Or did you put it on pause until we lost to UGA in the SECCG and Peach Bowl when we had a less than 100% KJ?

We won 2 big games last  year. We lost a big, but very winnable game against Clemson, because the offense wasn't prepared. He coached himself out of last year's and this year's LSU games. We didn't lose to UGA and UCF because KJ wasn't healthy. You are kidding yourself. We got our butts handed to us. 

41 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Now obviously, we're mostly in unison than the OL just isnt good. That goes without saying. But the secondary issue for alot of people, something that's rising to succeed even the Gus playcalling is Jarrett's impotence with noticing receivers deep. I'll preface it with this, I have called for the backup QB often in years since Nick. 2015 was a wash whoever was back there, but 2016, I felt that between KP and Kerryon, plus the speed sweep, using JF3 in spurts to boost the run game would've helped Auburn. In 2017, I felt that using Willis in the red zone would've helped our issues down there more than forcing KJ, who was often running hurt in that area, or letting JS run around aimlessly, refusing to take a shot.

But in 2018, I don't think the alternatives remedy the problems. Here's why:

1. The lack of a QB running presence: Would this open the game up for the RBs a little more,  maybe make it easier for the OLine? Yeah, on paper. BUT, you have to have that throwing threat. We'd need either Gatewood to show he's improved in that regard or hope that Willis has revitalized his ability to read the game. He seems neutered in that regard (more because of Gus than himself, but I digress). Plus the OL hasnt shown the ability to hold up on the edge and the interior isnt going to be good this year. If they just stack the box, the RO is going to be food against UA or UGA.

2. The deep ball disappearing: Has Stidham been horrendous throwing deep? Yes. Has Auburn tried to remedy it with a few different looks? Yes. Has it worked? Well... I think Stidham has been completely demoralized mentally by the pressure in his face combined with having to think over everything deep. He just second and third guesses his passes so much that we dont even get to see the WRs shine when they are working to get open. Now sometimes, they dont work for him after things break down, thats a fact. But between the ASU game,  couple times in the LSU game and today, we have to blame him at least more than the receivers, maybe not as much as the OLine though. Its another fact: when Stidham has a clear pocket and a clear mind, hes as dangerous as anybody. When he doesn't, he's one of the worst field generals in the SEC. But who are you replacing him with? Willis isnt allowed to run the passing game, Gatewood has a cannon but who knows how accurate he is, and Sandberg..If someone can give me like 2 reasons why Sandberg is a better passing option than Stidham, im willing to listen. 

3. Gus: I think its a disservice to yourself to think Gus is going to adjust to the offense to the backups, he doesn't even adjust it to the guy starting right now. It took him a year and a half to get the offense THIS developed to work around Jarrett. When Sean got hurt and JF3 had to come in, the only experience he had throwing was screens and like one slant. Guess what he ran against Vandy? When Jeremy came in against Bama the previous year, Gus tried to basically run the same offense as Sean, but what strengths JJ had wasn't found in developing plays. He worked best with quick short throws (not screens) and had a strong arm. Didnt like getting hit which made him pretty useless running sometimes, but we're not here to rag on JJ. the point is, Gus is going to run generally the same offense that he runs for the starter as for whoever else.

This is a really long read, but its my personal opinion on why I dont think changing the QB would fix this sinking ship unless wholesale changes were made along with it.  

Great post DTR

9 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

We won 2 big games last  year. We lost a big, but very winnable game against Clemson, because the offense wasn't prepared. He coached himself out of last year's and this year's LSU games. We didn't lose to UGA and UCF because KJ wasn't healthy. You are kidding yourself. We got our butts handed to us. 

So you aren’t giving Gus credit for beating UGA and bama, handily, but are for sure ready to pile on him after a loss of any sort?

I'm not sure why our OLine is in the shape it is in.  They were highly recruited.  I don't think Hand was good at all.  I know Geimes is better than what we are seeing.  Maybe the blocking schemes in Gus's playbook aren't flexible enough for different defenses.  Maybe the DCs around the league have seen it enough to know how to confuse the linemen.  It seems that everybody is loading the box against us and that affects the timing of pass plays and the effectiveness o the run game.  Your move Gus. 

I agree that changing QBs would only make us worse. I don't think it's even a rational thought to think Willis could lead us farther than JS.

The OL can still gel. Brahms did well tonight I thought, and it wasn't until Dunn came in midseason last year that the OL clicked. 

I think the biggest thing is fixing Stidham. I've been adamant that he has maybe the worst pocket presence I have ever seen. He HAS to correct this and stop bailing or we have no shot.

Stidham just doesn't seem right so far this year. Just an uncomfortable, awkward football player. Not having fun. Not playing with confidence. 

24 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Well I would assume the offensive line coaching falls on Grimes. But I suppose we could blame Gus for hiring him, if that’s what you’re reaching for. 

Not sure where Gus comes into play when Stidham is overthrowing wide open receivers downfield by 10 yards, or making improper reads. 

How about Gus does  not  know how to  coach quarterbacks.

2 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Well, we could argue that. But the point that I’ve been trying to make is that Gus isn’t the *only* issue that’s causing these offensive problems. 

But yes, we can bitch and moan about him until the cows come home. In the end, he’s not going somewhere for quite some time, so get comfortable or stop watching until he’s gone—basketball starts soon(ish). 

I heard tonight from the announcers on how accurate stidham is and how he can “spin it”. They also commented on he is not in the right system.. dang it doesn’t get any easier than the throw to Slayton who was 5 yards behind the DB.. he has consistently overthrown receivers all year. Something is amiss with him and it’s not just the OL. 

11 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

I heard tonight from the announcers on how accurate stidham is and how he can “spin it”. They also commented on he is not in the right system.. dang it doesn’t get any easier than the throw to Slayton who was 5 yards behind the DB.. he has consistently overthrown receivers all year. Something is amiss with him and it’s not just the OL. 

Completely overthrew Schwartz too, who even though he was mugged(missed PI—imagine that), could have caught the ball if it was on target. 

He could be inside his head overthinking things. 

2 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

Just interested to hear how Gus' coaching is at fault for Jarrett missing easy go routes. I bet Gus tells JS in practice "Overthrow em, Jarrett".

34 minutes ago, Jfsmoncrief said:

Actually Ryan Davis is our best player 

Depends on if you are talking college player or pro potential. Better in college is Davis, but Stidham far surpasses Davis in potential at the next level.

No way do you make a change at QB, Stidham is not the major issue. Right now we don't have a stud RB (#28 is the closest) that can carry a game against a top opponent. A major reason for that is we have an average OL that can't seem to consistently open holes between the tackles. The RBs are getting stacked up in there which is reducing our play selection in the running game and making it easier on defenses. The OL's pass protection seems to be up and down from one play to the next. Based on some of the things I saw on the replay, it would be fair to say, we have some serious issues on the OL at more than one position.

None of this helps Stidham in the passing game or in his ability to find secondary receivers. Because of that many of Stidham's plays are ending up in a scramble. However when that does happen he usually finds a safe sideline receiver or he throws it away, both good decisions. That was the 4th game and the OL has GOT to get going because right now the offense isn't able to get into rhythm consistently. If the OL doesn't get better soon, we won't have a RB or a QB perform as well as they should and it won't even be close. 

3 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

It will probably be Fromm. Unfortunately

Fromm really is one injury away from being forced out tbh. even though Smart usually is as lenient as his father, err teacher, Saban in giving the starter every chance ahead of a more talented incumbent, Justin is just an incredible talent and would make them even more diverse. They'd honestly truly be the Bama of the East, and man, the media would be COMPLETELY unbearable then. 

3 hours ago, AuMarine said:

if you watched any josh allen or josh rosen game, its pretty much the same thing. Im glad it'll get us our first round QB in a while, but usually the media picks a handful of guys early on and those guys are teflon don regardless of how overrated they are. It does hurt having to put an AUB QB in that bracket, but if we were just discussing college production, Stidham wouldnt even be a top 15 QB prospect 

51 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

if you watched any josh allen or josh rosen game, its pretty much the same thing. Im glad it'll get us our first round QB in a while, but usually the media picks a handful of guys early on and those guys are teflon don regardless of how overrated they are. It does hurt having to put an AUB QB in that bracket, but if we were just discussing college production, Stidham wouldnt even be a top 15 QB prospect 

no way is he a first round QB right now. 

2 hours ago, ChrisH said:

Like I said, its an anointing you get from the league, not college production. He hasnt been any worse than Allen last year and was universally known as a top 4 prospect coming in. It doesnt matter how you do, pundits and NFL scouts are not going to admit they're wrong after giving you that status. I personally think you'll see some combo of Haskins, Grier, Stidham, Lock and Herbert as the top 5 off the board, thats 3 guys who produced well and have the tools, one guy who played for a lesser talented team but showed flashes, and one guy thats thought to have all the talent but played underwhelmingly on a good team. 

2 hours ago, ChrisH said:

I thought the same thing about Darnold after he had a less than stellar season and numerous interceptions.

8 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Did you complain this much last year heading into UGA and the Iron Bowl? Or did you put it on pause until we lost to UGA in the SECCG and Peach Bowl when we had a less than 100% KJ?

Just wondering who rode Kerryon til he broke last year? And who recruits these OL that can't block? Or who recruits thes QBS that don't fit the coaches offensive scheme?

Stidham would throw for 4,000 yard and 30 TDS in Bama or Ole Miss’s offenses. 75% of the passes those teams throws, the receiver is wide open. 75% of the passes thrown in our offense, the receivers are covered up, or double teamed. Kevin Steele is a professional lifetime college and NFL coach and his schemes and adjustments reflect it. Gus and Chip are long time high school coaches and their scheme and adjustments reflect it. But we are stuck with them. They better figure it out quickly. 

I'm all for changing our style of QB's. I don't completely blame Stidham though. He's not comfortable in the "pocket" and is running for his life. Gus either needs: Cam Newton (never gonna happen again), or an option QB that can outrun everyone and hit open receivers deep. 

When we decide to go to a true dual threat QB, we will lose a game or so early, (like we probably should have in 2013), but will be rolling by the end of the season (also 2013). Then you keep the guy 3 seasons because he doesn't throw well enough to go to the NFL. I'm all for it. 

9 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

Why? So he can be sacked multiple times/game and throw 2 dozen screen passes?

A lot of those screen passes are Jarrett’s read of the defense. Most of those last night were RPOs that the numbers game dictated screen pass

Archived