people feel like a QB change is the fix

Dual-Threat Rigby

15 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Honestly, I haven't actually seen anybody calling for the backup QB aside from those who simply feel Gus/Chip is running the wrong Offense for the QB he's using.  Otherwise, I think we mostly just want Stids to find his groove.  ...or Gus to admit he needs a running QB and take back over to go full Wing-T again...but that's not a viable option for this year as MW has blown his chances to impress.

Referring to Kam, I honestly (JMHO) feel he was a more viable option last year as a backup than he has been this year as a starter.  I'm sorry but I think he WAS quicker and more dynamic last year and, at least for the SECCG, he would have been a much better option than broken KJ.  This year, I do feel the extra weight may have hurt.  He seems slower and less shifty to my eyes.  Thus why Boobee & Worm have passed him (though Worm, not officially, I guess).

Yeah I agree, he seems slower this season. I don't know if it's the additional weight, or if it's him trying to do the KJ patience thing. I mean his best run vs Washington was on a 4th down I believe, and he just burst through the line for like a 15 yard run. Every time he hesitates behind the line, he just isn't at his best. 

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, keesler said:

Dang Mikey, surely you would agree that this year's "system" needed to change from last year's? 

People aren't whining about this year's system. They are whining about how this overall "system" is unfair to QB and WR recruits and I suppose fans who love the air raid offenses.

The offense should be tweaked annually to adjust for personnel changes and that's likely what is going on now. There's nothing wrong with "The System" that holds virtually every offensive record in AU football history.

Whine about slow adjustments, that's reasonable. To whine about the most successful system in our history is a little crazy.

48 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The offense should be tweaked annually to adjust for personnel changes and that's likely what is going on now.

Any chance we could get that done in the spring and fall training camp vs. during the season?

We don’t need a QB change, just adjust the freaking offense to fit the personnel, which is something I thought Gus was known for! My goodness the man made a decent offense with Chris Todd! Surely he can do it with JS! 

7 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Any chance we could get that done in the spring and fall training camp vs. during the season?

Evidently not.

I said all off-season that we should expect this offense to start off in good shape with a returning stud at QB and a returning, successful OC who had already made it past his probationary period with Gus. Not to mention a wildly talented WR corps. I was wrong.

Year 6. No excuses. Gus needs to excuse himself from the offense. This is ridiculous. 

48 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Evidently not.

I said all off-season that we should expect this offense to start off in good shape with a returning stud at QB and a returning, successful OC who had already made it past his probationary period with Gus. Not to mention a wildly talented WR corps. I was wrong.

Year 6. No excuses. Gus needs to excuse himself from the offense. This is ridiculous. 

Nah man, Gus LITERALLY wrote a book on offense! Lol...meanwhile some dude I can’t even tell you his name is helping bama run a devastating offense across the state. I don’t understand man I just don’t understand.

19 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

I don’t understand man I just don’t understand.

Personnel man, personnel. Look at their O-line compared to ours.

4 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Agreed but who is responsible for making sure we have a competent offensive line?

Ultimately, the head coach. Maybe this new outfit will improve as the season progresses, maybe not. It's too early to tell about that but we had a good OL last year from which the key parts graduated. Rebuilding an O-line takes time.

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:03 PM, AUsince72 said:

True enough.

But he certainly didn't quit riding him AFTER he was broke either.  He had at least a Mustang, if not Corvette, in the garage for the SECCG but chose to keep driving his Ferrari on flat tires instead.

Well put sir?

9 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

We don’t need a QB change, just adjust the freaking offense to fit the personnel, which is something I thought Gus was known for! My goodness the man made a decent offense with Chris Todd! Surely he can do it with JS! 

He had a Tubbs o-line with C Todd not the joke line there now.

12 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

By the way if you are going to judge the backup QB it should be by his total body of work instead of one bad play where he came into a game for his first play on his own 1 yard line and pulled a rookie mistake. If you look back at his time last year he was efficient. Here is the real truth JS won’t improve until you set him instead of start him. Then andonly then will he face his problems and correct them. He has the ability if he can just overcome his self. Also on the subject if we have no Backup QB whose problem is that? Pretty sure that falls on the coaches.

We are judging MW by the whole body of work. He had some nice runs last year. But since it’s been real bad. In the spring game his throws were way off. And I don’t think he’s made a good decision with the ball in any play he’s ran this year. Replacing stid for mw is crazy talk

1 hour ago, OnthePlains said:

Agreed but who is responsible for making sure we have a competent offensive line?

Also, our offensive line is a reason for us to not be as good as last year. It is not an excuse for us to be *bad*.

In year 6, you should be RELOADING the offensive line, not REBUILDING it.  But, hopefully they will improve quickly.  Does Trox or Ashley or Brodarrius or any new guy play this week?  If they're saying injuries are nagging some of the starters, get someone healthy in there.

47 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

This OL play is a freaking joke and a liability...

This is very accurate and extreme position. Not a good combination. 

On September 22, 2018 at 11:32 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Now obviously, we're mostly in unison than the OL just isnt good. That goes without saying. But the secondary issue for alot of people, something that's rising to succeed even the Gus playcalling is Jarrett's impotence with noticing receivers deep. I'll preface it with this, I have called for the backup QB often in years since Nick. 2015 was a wash whoever was back there, but 2016, I felt that between KP and Kerryon, plus the speed sweep, using JF3 in spurts to boost the run game would've helped Auburn. In 2017, I felt that using Willis in the red zone would've helped our issues down there more than forcing KJ, who was often running hurt in that area, or letting JS run around aimlessly, refusing to take a shot.

But in 2018, I don't think the alternatives remedy the problems. Here's why:

1. The lack of a QB running presence: Would this open the game up for the RBs a little more,  maybe make it easier for the OLine? Yeah, on paper. BUT, you have to have that throwing threat. We'd need either Gatewood to show he's improved in that regard or hope that Willis has revitalized his ability to read the game. He seems neutered in that regard (more because of Gus than himself, but I digress). Plus the OL hasnt shown the ability to hold up on the edge and the interior isnt going to be good this year. If they just stack the box, the RO is going to be food against UA or UGA.

2. The deep ball disappearing: Has Stidham been horrendous throwing deep? Yes. Has Auburn tried to remedy it with a few different looks? Yes. Has it worked? Well... I think Stidham has been completely demoralized mentally by the pressure in his face combined with having to think over everything deep. He just second and third guesses his passes so much that we dont even get to see the WRs shine when they are working to get open. Now sometimes, they dont work for him after things break down, thats a fact. But between the ASU game,  couple times in the LSU game and today, we have to blame him at least more than the receivers, maybe not as much as the OLine though. Its another fact: when Stidham has a clear pocket and a clear mind, hes as dangerous as anybody. When he doesn't, he's one of the worst field generals in the SEC. But who are you replacing him with? Willis isnt allowed to run the passing game, Gatewood has a cannon but who knows how accurate he is, and Sandberg..If someone can give me like 2 reasons why Sandberg is a better passing option than Stidham, im willing to listen. 

3. Gus: I think its a disservice to yourself to think Gus is going to adjust to the offense to the backups, he doesn't even adjust it to the guy starting right now. It took him a year and a half to get the offense THIS developed to work around Jarrett. When Sean got hurt and JF3 had to come in, the only experience he had throwing was screens and like one slant. Guess what he ran against Vandy? When Jeremy came in against Bama the previous year, Gus tried to basically run the same offense as Sean, but what strengths JJ had wasn't found in developing plays. He worked best with quick short throws (not screens) and had a strong arm. Didnt like getting hit which made him pretty useless running sometimes, but we're not here to rag on JJ. the point is, Gus is going to run generally the same offense that he runs for the starter as for whoever else.

This is a really long read, but its my personal opinion on why I dont think changing the QB would fix this sinking ship unless wholesale changes were made along with it.  

Agree. Stuck with him for 7 more which shows the incompetence of the former AD. And it's basically guaranteed. We finally have an Elite D and our O is pedestrian and pathetic. Yes I'm bitching. I love AU and we are stuck in this relationship w a high school coach who is awful at developing talented QB's. Bo Nix will solve nothing. He is 6 ft and will be playing under a coach that is clueless.  We are wasting the years we have Steele as our DC which is an absolute shame. Stidham is not going to make it in the pros. Mark my word. 

1 hour ago, Tigger1985 said:

LSU figured out how to blitz us and now everyone knows also. Southern Miss did the same right up the middle

If it’s not up the middle just overload the edges and force Stidham to run into a sack because stepping up certainly isn’t an option lol

Yeah I've changed my mind on this. We needed him to show the intangibles of a team leader tonight. Guts, and fire. This guy doesn't have it.

His main concern is not winning as an Auburn Tiger right now. Need to go with someone who is, and is willing to lay it on the line. 

Archived