people feel like a QB change is the fix

Dual-Threat Rigby

This is highly unlikely, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense (main reason it's unlikely). Let Chip call plays to Stidham's strengths, like the rest of the college football world does with their talent (mind blown). 

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Gus didn't take out Sean White when he couldn't even throw the ball 10 yards...what makes people think he's going to take out JS? It's not happening. We have to roll with what we have. 

5 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

This is highly unlikely, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense (main reason it's unlikely). Let Chip call plays to Stidham's strengths, like the rest of the college football world does with their talent (mind blown). 

Seems like Chip has morphed into Rhett 2.0 though. He's calling the plays. I do think that he's trying to have a "happy balance" of not doing away with many of the plays Gus utilizes. That's pretty evident. That was my fear with Chip that he isn't the aggressive or more rather being firm when needed. Nothing is going to change if we keep getting OC's that will not even dare to give Gus any type of push back on the offense. 

1 hour ago, WarEagle1983 said:

If Gus didn't take out Sean White when he couldn't even throw the ball 10 yards...what makes people think he's going to take out JS? It's not happening. We have to roll with what we have. 

But, But...SW didn’t tell Gus he was hurt, not his fault. Of course you know if we just executed the game plan better we would have won, oh and the defense should have stopped them. :drippingsarcasm7pa:

Gus could have played one or both of the backups last Saturday just to give a struggling JS a different prespective. Hope to see the backups this weekend. 

besides the oline needing to gel i am beginning to think stid might be hurt or dinged up. it is possible he has hurt his shoulder he just had repaired and that or another "wound" messing with his accuracy  those long balls are his forte so to speak and when he has time and is still missing receivers what else could it be? he has taken some hard shots to include knocking his helmet off and at least one hard shot on his repaired shoulder.. gus is certainly not going to mention it so folks can t off on stid more than they already do. that or he jinxed himself getting engages.................lol.

15 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Seems like Chip has morphed into Rhett 2.0 though. He's calling the plays. I do think that he's trying to have a "happy balance" of not doing away with many of the plays Gus utilizes. That's pretty evident. That was my fear with Chip that he isn't the aggressive or more rather being firm when needed. Nothing is going to change if we keep getting OC's that will not even dare to give Gus any type of push back on the offense. 

Chip is Rhett. He calls his own plays, it's just off of a sheet that the HC gave him...

I hope the people that want a QB change are ready to wear the paper bags during the games. The team will implode much more significantly than last week. 

no disrespect to any posters what so ever as everyone is entitled to their own opinions  but with that said, you are totally out of touch with reality if you think even for a remote second that we could have or need a qb change. 

is he performing to our expectations:no

is the OL performing to our expectations:no

is anybody on the offense really perfoming at our expectations or even at a level that we can compete for a championship:no

but, the problem is deeper and more complex than anything revolving around our QB.   In the words of Princess Leia " Obi-wan your our only hope"

well Jarrett may be our only hope. we certainly dont bench him.

29 minutes ago, lutzcammed said:

no disrespect to any posters what so ever as everyone is entitled to their own opinions  but with that said, you are totally out of touch with reality if you think even for a remote second that we could have or need a qb change. 

is he performing to our expectations:no

is the OL performing to our expectations:no

is anybody on the offense really perfoming at our expectations or even at a level that we can compete for a championship:no

but, the problem is deeper and more complex than anything revolving around our QB.   In the words of Princess Leia " Obi-wan your our only hope"

well Jarrett may be our only hope. we certainly dont bench him.

You're not wrong but just one small correction.

"Yes" to Ryan Davis

I finished re-watching the arky game last night and Stidham has gotten worse this year. There were several plays missed first downs and touchdowns due to poor throws. My biggest gripe with stidham is that once he tucks it he no longer looks downfield. I think the OL is taking way too much blame for our offensive woes this season. They are not great and blow plays from time to time. But i also saw a lot of poor plays by our skill players. 

With that said no way we can bench stidham. We simply don't have anyone better behind him. I agree that its hard to blame Gus with the QB flat out misses a throw. But its becoming way to common for QBs to look decent to good when they get hear to only look worse the longer they stay at AU. Until i see a QB improve from season 1 to season 2 at AU then i have to assume Gus is doing something to screw up these guys heads. BTW....Gus still hasn't recruited a QB out of highschool that was successful in college. 

14 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

You're not wrong but just one small correction.

"Yes" to Ryan Davis

He has been electric on Special Teams thats for sure.  Him and Stidham are way off this year on their screens though.  I think hes dropped at least one a game and majority of the time hes either having to wait for or go back and get the ball which takes away his great ability of getting up field. 

1 minute ago, atl-tiger said:

He has been electric on Special Teams thats for sure.  Him and Stidham are way off this year on their screens though.  I think hes dropped at least one a game and majority of the time hes either having to wait for or go back and get the ball which takes away his great ability of getting up field. 

True, but when gets the ball he's been the one guy making chicken salad.....youknowutImean?

34 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I finished re-watching the arky game last night and Stidham has gotten worse this year. There were several plays missed first downs and touchdowns due to poor throws. My biggest gripe with stidham is that once he tucks it he no longer looks downfield. I think the OL is taking way too much blame for our offensive woes this season. They are not great and blow plays from time to time. But i also saw a lot of poor plays by our skill players. 

With that said no way we can bench stidham. We simply don't have anyone better behind him. I agree that its hard to blame Gus with the QB flat out misses a throw. But its becoming way to common for QBs to look decent to good when they get hear to only look worse the longer they stay at AU. Until i see a QB improve from season 1 to season 2 at AU then i have to assume Gus is doing something to screw up these guys heads. BTW....Gus still hasn't recruited a QB out of highschool that was successful in college. 

Not jumping in to defend Gus, I'm not in that camp. 

However that being said, Nick Marshall improved his passing stats in year 2. 

Year 2 he threw more passes, for more completions, for more yards, for more TDs, and a higher passing rating. That is the very definition of improving from one year to the next.

Most people think Marshall regressed in year 2 because he didn't run as much, but as a passer, he was better in year 2.

Screenshot_2018-09-27-14-07-31.png

29 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

True, but when gets the ball he's been the one guy making chicken salad.....youknowutImean?

Davis is a star. We'll talk about him for a long time. 

Will someone please tell me what happened to that wide open, attacking offense we saw early in the Wash game?  If was a pleasure to watch.  I have to conclude something isn’t right and might be conflicts between Gus and Chip and maybe even Stid. 

The lack of offense is bewildering and not even close to being representative of the talent.  If a major turnaround doesn’t happen I can see the season spiraling out of control. 

19 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Will someone please tell me what happened to that wide open, attacking offense we saw early in the Wash game?  If was a pleasure to watch.  I have to conclude something isn’t right and might be conflicts between Gus and Chip and maybe even Stid. 

The lack of offense is bewildering and not even close to being representative of the talent.  If a major turnaround doesn’t happen I can see the season spiraling out of control. 

Do you feel that Arkansas was the only game where that Washington offense was not evident? (I’m puzzled as well)

10 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Chip is Rhett. He calls his own plays, it's just off of a sheet that the HC gave him...

Well….there are lots of options of plays to call....it's typically about when to call them.....and of course about the execution by the players involved.   JMO but all plays look good if they team carries out assignments...... though this past Saturday,  way to many passes were not even catchable by the receivers....short , medium or long... 

2 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

Do you feel that Arkansas was the only game where that Washington offense was not evident? (I’m puzzled as well)

Also disappeared in the LSU game, after we got up by 11 points. 

7 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

However that being said, Nick Marshall improved his passing stats in year 2.

You are correct, but that was a point of emphasis by Gus and Lashlee to counter what we've all been saying here, that they can't develop a QB.  But, once again it was Gus forcing a square peg into a round hole.  He proved his point that Marshal could improve his passing but in doing so the offensive production declined (that is from memory and not looking it up again, so if I'm wrong you can prove it), and of course the the TEAM's success declined substantially and I for one feel it is because Gus didn't do what Nick Marshal did best (blah, blah Prosch, Robinson, Mason...I know...lol).  But we could have been better than 8 and 5 utilizing Nick's strengths instead of showing he could improve his passing. (Edit: and improve by a minuscule amount, and go to the NFL/CFL as a defensive back)

On 9/23/2018 at 7:40 AM, jluvah said:

Just wondering who rode Kerryon til he broke last year? And who recruits these OL that can't block? Or who recruits thes QBS that don't fit the coaches offensive scheme?

Kerryon hurt himself reaching for the goal line on an effort play. I don’t think Gus rode him til he broke. 

2 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Kerryon hurt himself reaching for the goal line on an effort play. I don’t think Gus rode him til he broke. 

True enough.

But he certainly didn't quit riding him AFTER he was broke either.  He had at least a Mustang, if not Corvette, in the garage for the SECCG but chose to keep driving his Ferrari on flat tires instead.

Archived