people feel like a QB change is the fix

Dual-Threat Rigby

JMO but it's  not just Gus....every offense is better with a true DT quarterback.   Look what happened at bama when they got Tua on the field...because Hurts was mostly one dimensional.

AND….one thing that might be hurting passing offense the necessity to keep so many guys available to block since the OL is having so much trouble. not many receivers though JS usually goes to whoever has been identified as #1 and rarely is able to go beyond that no matter how much time he has. 

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, AuMarine said:

I heard tonight from the announcers on how accurate stidham is and how he can “spin it”. They also commented on he is not in the right system.. dang it doesn’t get any easier than the throw to Slayton who was 5 yards behind the DB.. he has consistently overthrown receivers all year. Something is amiss with him and it’s not just the OL. 

He is pressured so much that it is in his head to look for the rush and to hurry the deep throws.  The timing is off and it is not all his fault.  

1 minute ago, around4ever said:

He is pressured so much that it is in his head to look for the rush and to hurry the deep throws.  The timing is off and it is not all his fault.  

Almost all QBs are pressured....and their job is to learn to deal with it.  For example, that kid from Arky stood tall and took the hits in order to get his passes off and was under far more real duress than JS who often seems to anticipate the rush before it actually arrives. .   

6 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Just interested to hear how Gus' coaching is at fault for Jarrett missing easy go routes. I bet Gus tells JS in practice "Overthrow em, Jarrett".

Easy?  It's not that easy, especially when your head is on a swivel.  Stidham has so much pressure from the defense that he rushes throws causing timing to be off. 

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Almost all QBs are pressured....and their job is to learn to deal with it.  For example, that kid from Arky stood tall and took the hits in order to get his passes off and was under far more real duress than JS who often seems to anticipate the rush before it actually arrives. .   

This is true.   But do we blame him for being skittish or do we blame lack of QB coaching.  It seems to be a trait of several of our recent QBs.  Are they being coached to get out of the pocket when they feel pressure?

4 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Easy?  It's not that easy, especially when your head is on a swivel.  Stidham has so much pressure from the defense that he rushes throws causing timing to be off. 

Looks like he lacks confidence in both the OL and the play selections.

3 minutes ago, around4ever said:

This is true.   But do we blame him for being skittish or do we blame lack of QB coaching.  It seems to be a trait of several of our recent QBs.  Are they being coached to get out of the pocket when they feel pressure?

That could be and of course it worked for Nick and Cam...but I doubt the current coaches are happy to see him break from cover under a rush because he has been rarely able to find a receiver while on the run....even on roll out passes he quickly makes the "run" decision before doing much a survey of possible receivers other than the guy right in front of him. 

Got an idea why don’t we throw money at Dan Enos and get freaking legit OC QB coach. Gus could give the reigns to him for real and just say hey we are a run team other than that do you your thing.

7 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Just interested to hear how Gus' coaching is at fault for Jarrett missing easy go routes. I bet Gus tells JS in practice "Overthrow em, Jarrett".

I have long suspected that was the case.

50 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That could be and of course it worked for Nick and Cam...but I doubt the current coaches are happy to see him break from cover under a rush because he has been rarely able to find a receiver while on the run....even on roll out passes he quickly makes the "run" decision before doing much a survey of possible receivers other than the guy right in front of him. 

I think a lot of that goes back to routes. Our receivers rarely look like they are running to open space off the line. It almost looks like they are running instead right to where defenders are. And defenses know it. I dont understand it. 

10 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I think a lot of that goes back to routes. Our receivers rarely look like they are running to open space off the line. It almost looks like they are running instead right to where defenders are. And defenses know it. I dont understand it. 

Does look that way....coaches seem to prefer spot passes to help JS with accuracy perhaps.....but a good percent of throws and completions are made where the receiver has spotted up...so if JS is even the slightest bit late with a throw the defender has time to respond.   

We are not making very good use of our speed WRs , mostly because at the moment JS has not been able to reliably hit receivers on the move. 

i am giving stid a pass on a few more games. he has the tools to be great. we beat two number one teams handily back to back which i am pretty sure average qb's probably could not do. and i admire stid for running and getting what he could and taking those shots he took. we are quick to criticize but he played hard. other than the o line needing some work i think the thoughts of lsu were still lingering.i saw several times on d when we did not tackle as cleanly as we normally do in the open field. there are tons of things to consider and throwing the team under the bus right now is not one of them for me. we have guys leaving and player only meetings. maybe with all the distractions we played better than we think we did if that makes any sense.

33 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

It almost looks like they are running instead right to where defenders are.

That tells us the defense knows our routes as well as we do, maybe better.  

Honestly , JS should be able to avoid the pressure or at least take on the pressure that Arkansas was giving. A couple of times it was just bad reads. I am sorry..Alabama pressured Kellen Mond all day yesterday. He did have an ill advised throw early on but he did a much better job handling the pressure in my eyes. I saw him step up and go through progression and make throws in tight windows..some throws his receivers just dropped. Other times he just took off. It is what it is.

I watched some of Stidham's old Baylor games yesterday. One common theme is that after the ball was snapped, it'd be out of his hands in less than two seconds. They ran lots of fades, seams, curls, etc. This offense is play action, hold the ball for 5 seconds, and run for your life.

I truly believe Stidham has the arm talent to carry a team. We do best when we're in 4 and 5 WR sets. Anyone blaming Stidham can take two seats. He's missed on some throws but we all know that if he played for Bama, UGA, or Ohio State, he'd be a first round draft pick and a Heisman contender. If Gus can't win with Stidham because Stidham isn't "good enough," I'm not buying it.

I usually stay positive on here and just enjoy the season but I am forced to address a reality. You want to know why Stidham ends up scrambling a lot ? Well here is an example. One of our OTs, after making initial contact with a DE,  received a one hand push on the side of the helmet. I mean it pushed our OT back 3 yards and he completely turned his back to the DE. 

That was on just one play and there were several more along the line. You just can't run a consistent offense with an OL performing like that. Unless we solve some serious issues on the OL, our QB's performance as well our RBs and WRs are really going to suffer. If this is the best the OL can do after 4 games into the season and a complete Fall camp, the reality is we have some serous problems. 

A QB change can be beneficial if there is a viable option. We have none. Not one position on offense is playing to their potential. If some major improvements aren't made offensively there are some ugly losses coming. Last night was unwatchable.

Mods, please delete this thread! Please!

This is moronically ridiculous! There is no way in heaven or hades or Jordan Hare, that Stidham is going to be replaced by any other QB on the roster. This can only hurt recruiting and player morale for those who read these ridiculous threads!

Again, please remove this!

Who in their right mind thinks a QB change is needed? Stid isn't blocking, he's absorbing the hits from the guys in front of him NOT blocking.

9 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

I usually stay positive on here and just enjoy the season but I am forced to address a reality. You want to know why Stidham ends up scrambling a lot ? Well here is an example. One of our OTs, after making initial contact with a DE,  received a one hand push on the side of the helmet. I mean it pushed our OT back 3 yards and he completely turned his back to the DE. 

That was on just one play and there were several more along the line. You just can't run a consistent offense with an OL performing like that. Unless we solve some serious issues on the OL, our QB's performance as well our RBs and WRs are really going to suffer. If this is the best the OL can do after 4 games into the season and a complete Fall camp, the reality is we have some serous problems. 

Yep I saw that too and that’s when I came to realize this isn’t a talent issue. It is deeper than that and the only way to get out of it is just to try to mask it.

2 minutes ago, selias said:

Who in their right mind thinks a QB change is needed? Stid isn't blocking, he's absorbing the hits from the guys in front of him NOT blocking.

Your key words: “right mind”

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yep I saw that too and that’s when I came to realize this isn’t a talent issue. It is deeper than that and the only way to get out of it is just to try to mask it.

It's scary. Not only on pass pro but our OL is stalemated on runs between the tackles more often than we have seen the last few years. Our options on offense are getting limited more and more. As you say try to mask it as much as they can. 

We lost three or four from our OLine last year.  They were experienced and supposed to be very good.   The OLine struggled in most games last year.  This OLine is young an inexperienced.  They will struggle in most games.  I still maintain that it's not talent, it's scheme and design.  I hoped that Grimes could fix the problems in scheme and design, and he may if Gus allows him to tweak it.  Gus is not known for letting his coaches tweak his offense though. 

The backup QB is always the most popular player on the team (according to fandom).  Folks, Stidham has the tools, he just doesn't have the shop finished yet. Once the OL meshes (hopefully), I suspect Stidham's performances will be directly proportional.

Archived