people feel like a QB change is the fix

Dual-Threat Rigby

11 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

You are correct, but that was a point of emphasis by Gus and Lashlee to counter what we've all been saying here, that they can't develop a QB.  But, once again it was Gus forcing a square peg into a round hole.  He proved his point that Marshal could improve his passing but in doing so the offensive production declined (that is from memory and not looking it up again, so if I'm wrong you can prove it), and of course the the TEAM's success declined substantially and I for one feel it is because Gus didn't do what Nick Marshal did best (blah, blah Prosch, Robinson, Mason...I know...lol).  But we could have been better than 8 and 5 utilizing Nick's strengths instead of showing he could improve his passing.

How is it you spend so much time in my head? :cheers:

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

How is it you spend so much time in my head? :cheers:

We've all been doing this for 6 years at least.  I think I could come close to regurgitating every pro/con Gus argument on this board and attributing the arguments to the appropriate posters.  Ain't no one changing anyone's mind here, but none of us are giving up our opinions until we see something change on the field.  It is fun to discuss ad nauseam though, as long as we don't take ourselves too seriously.:yes:

19 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

True enough.

But he certainly didn't quit riding him AFTER he was broke either.  He had at least a Mustang, if not Corvette, in the garage for the SECCG but chose to keep driving his Ferrari on flat tires instead.

And a part of that was Kerryon wanting to play to try and help the team as well. It was not like Gus snuck him outta the hospital in the middle of the night. 

7 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

And a part of that was Kerryon wanting to play to try and help the team as well. It was not like Gus snuck him outta the hospital in the middle of the night. 

True, that was Sean White in the Georgia game.:D

25 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

And like Sean White playing hurt the previous season, I commend KJ's desire and commitment to his teammates.  And I understand their competitive spirit.  But the coaches (all in charge) need to make the best decisions for the team and if they (Gus/Lindsey/Horton) didn't know how limited he was before the game, it certainly didn't take long to figure it out during...yet they continued on, basically removing the running game as a legit threat.  thUga's defense certainly figured it out...

Sometimes ya' gotta hide his helmet!

I really do think that 2016 team was vicious enough defensively and decent enough offensively to have made a little noise against Bama with a functioning QB. Even a read option game between JF3 and KP/KJ would've been interesting. a shame 

A: I haven't read this entire thread.

B : If Stidham were "in the wrong system" he wouldn't have had the successful numbers he put up last year.

C : What "people" feel like a QB change is needed? Considering Stidham's capabilities and our lack of a qualified backup, that's crazy.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

B : If Stidham were "in the wrong system" he wouldn't have had the successful numbers he put up last year.

Not to belabor this much longer, but that's still the problem.  We are still running last year's offense without last year's players - primarily O-line and RB's.  We could run the ball last year which opens the passing game for Gus.  This year we can't run the ball, but we aren't doing anything different to compensate, and it has affected the passing game under Gus' system.  But, groundhog day.;)

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

C : What "people" feel like a QB change is needed? Considering Stidham's capabilities and our lack of a qualified backup, that's crazy.

Dang Mikey, surely you would agree that this year's "system" needed to change from last year's? 

Two major dynamics of last year's system changed (oline/RB), while two other dynamics of last years's system remained (OC/QB) but you can't leave everything the same as the previous year thinking both dynamics will just cancel each other out and the offense will produce the successful numbers it did last year. 

SOMEBODY on the staff should have the sense to recognize the deficiencies in the pre-season and act accordingly to rectify those deficiencies or at minimum emphasize the positives (passing game/seasoned QB/top shelf WR's)to hide the negatives (green oline/RBs) until certain areas get up to speed, and experienced enough to execute at a higher level.

Regarding the "people" feeling like a QB change is needed, crazy talk indeed - nothing more/nothing less.  

30 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Are you suggesting that Gus is incapable of changing?

The way it read, is that the poster was calling for Gus’ head. I was stating that he’s not going anywhere for the foreseeable future. 

12 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

The way it read, is that the poster was calling for Gus’ head. I was stating that he’s not going anywhere for the foreseeable future. 

That's probably true. 

But the question of whether or not he can change - adapt when necessary.

If all the ingredients are there, he is a good coach.  But if some of the ingredients are missing or deficient, can he improvise a work-around.

Of course there is the larger question of him recruiting the necessary ingredients in the first place.

IMO, these are legitimate questions when we are talking about a 49 million dollar coach.

I'm sure the thread has shifted from the original question but I want to chime in on the statement in the title.

There is not a better quarterback option on the roster at Auburn. Stidham is an amazing quarterback who has just been off due to playcalling, blocking, not finding a rhythm, and an admittedly weaker running game.

We should attempt to throw the heck out of the ball this game.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

I'm sure the thread has shifted from the original question but I want to chime in on the statement in the title.

There is not a better quarterback option on the roster at Auburn. Stidham is an amazing quarterback who has just been off due to playcalling, blocking, not finding a rhythm, and an admittedly weaker running game.

Threads do tend to become like a word association game from time to time. I am 100%, completely on board, in alignment with and completely agree on throwing the ball all over the field Saturday. 

6 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Threads do tend to become like a word association game from time to time. I am 100%, completely on board, in alignment with and completely agree on throwing the ball all over the field Saturday. 

I don't care if we only win by 7 if it means we attempted 15+ passes that go further than the line of scrimmage.

Stidham needs to build up his confidence and build up Gus' trust in him

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

And still not know if we have a running game or not? So, set up the run with the pass in this game? 

Even if Gus went 5 wide and let Stidham fling it all over the field there is still the issue of defenses rushing 4 and blowing up the offensive line.  That McElroy post was pretty telling that Stidham is not making his progressions and checking down to his safety valve.  If Stidham is panicking and not making his reads then it’s going to a bunch of quick 3&outs trying to set up that run game.

I don’t think JS’s problem is from coaches nor his capabilities. I think his problem is between his ears and until he realizes it the problem won’t go away. I think he let the idea he sold get a little more input into the offense blossomed into him believing that he should call all the shots. He’s not accepting any of the blame. It is unfortunate to watch him regress . It will definitely affect his future in the NFL. But I see a lot of Guys like him do well in selling life insurance or such after finishing college.

By the way if you are going to judge the backup QB it should be by his total body of work instead of one bad play where he came into a game for his first play on his own 1 yard line and pulled a rookie mistake. If you look back at his time last year he was efficient. Here is the real truth JS won’t improve until you set him instead of start him. Then andonly then will he face his problems and correct them. He has the ability if he can just overcome his self. Also on the subject if we have no Backup QB whose problem is that? Pretty sure that falls on the coaches.

23 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

True enough.

But he certainly didn't quit riding him AFTER he was broke either.  He had at least a Mustang, if not Corvette, in the garage for the SECCG but chose to keep driving his Ferrari on flat tires instead.

I agree he didn't quit riding him after he broke, and I agree with the flat tire Ferrari analogy. 

However I don't agree we had a Mustang nor a Corvette in the garage. If Kam Martin was that, he wouldn't of had the job taken from him by Boobie. There is a reason Whitlow is the leading rusher. And it isn't because KMart is injured or anything... I love KMart. He is an Auburn man and he is a great change of pace back, but he isn't built to be RB1, last year especially. 

And it simply amazes me that people are calling for the backup QB. Goes to show the old saying the backup QB is the most popular player on the team. Like someone else said, if that were to happen, hope you guys are ready to start wearing bags over your heads at games... 

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

I was thinking the same thing, Mikey. As bad as Stidham has been up to this point in the season, do you think it would obviously be better with the backup?

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I agree he didn't quit riding him after he broke, and I agree with the flat tire Ferrari analogy. 

However I don't agree we had a Mustang nor a Corvette in the garage. If Kam Martin was that, he wouldn't of had the job taken from him by Boobie. There is a reason Whitlow is the leading rusher. And it isn't because KMart is injured or anything... I love KMart. He is an Auburn man and he is a great change of pace back, but he isn't built to be RB1, last year especially. 

And it simply amazes me that people are calling for the backup QB. Goes to show the old saying the backup QB is the most popular player on the team. Like someone else said, if that were to happen, hope you guys are ready to start wearing bags over your heads at games... 

Honestly, I haven't actually seen anybody calling for the backup QB aside from those who simply feel Gus/Chip is running the wrong Offense for the QB he's using.  Otherwise, I think we mostly just want Stids to find his groove.  ...or Gus to admit he needs a running QB and take back over to go full Wing-T again...but that's not a viable option for this year as MW has blown his chances to impress.

Referring to Kam, I honestly (JMHO) feel he was a more viable option last year as a backup than he has been this year as a starter.  I'm sorry but I think he WAS quicker and more dynamic last year and, at least for the SECCG, he would have been a much better option than broken KJ.  This year, I do feel the extra weight may have hurt.  He seems slower and less shifty to my eyes.  Thus why Boobee & Worm have passed him (though Worm, not officially, I guess).

Archived