First and goal from the 3 yard line

gr82b4au

Just now, OnthePlains said:

How do you feel about your offense’s execution?  ....

I’m all for it

Funny, I've been thinking of that very quote since the first quarter Sat. night.

What I find surprising is that many Auburn fans are surprised that Gus's offense is struggling again. It's been that way more often than not since Nick Marshall, and Trey Mason graduated. Unless he has a very talented tailback to make chicken salad out of chicken st#*, it's always going to struggle. 

Just now, Eagle-1 said:

What I find surprising is that many Auburn fans are surprised that Gus's offense is struggling again. It's been that way more often than not since Nick Marshall, and Trey Mason graduated. Unless he has a very talented tailback to make chicken salad out of chicken st#*, it's always going to struggle. 

And he is not willing to change...smh...

5 minutes ago, Apraser99 said:

I don't post much but I have been saying a long time. We are paying a high school coach 7 million dollars a year....just let that sink in!

Amazing huh? Actually Gus has recruited pretty well, and seems to be a good man. He needs to hire an offensive coordinator who can put a legitimate passing game on the field, and get him an offensive line coach who can recruit. While he's at it, hire a WR coach who has actually played in a sophisticated passing offense. I perceive that Lindsey is not real happy working for Gus, and don't expect him here next year. Gus will have an opportunity to fix it, but question is will he? I have my doubts.

6 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Most of the problems being discussed on every thread since Arky come down to: O- line, O- line, O– line.

I agree the OL is terrible, but many teams that struggle to run the ball still manage to put up lots of points, especially against teams as bad as Arkansas. North Texas had over 400 yards of offense on Arkansas. No one is going to convince me that North Texas has more talent on the offensive line than Auburn.

Have Chandler Cox to line up under center and plow his way through. Or.....have him to line up under center and run a naked bootleg. Remember the fridge from Clemson years before some of you were born or still in pampers, was a monster who could line up under center and dare any defensive lineman to stop him or tackle him. Ashley would be the perfect player for this job. 

Put him under center and let him bull his way for the short yardage to score. No one will see this coming unless we have spies reading our posts!

53 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Anything like we're talking about would require Gus to think out of the box. Ain't happening. Don't you guys know there is nothing wrong with the scheme? It's just the execution.

This comes to mind with Gus's thinking outside the box on short yardage situations.

original.gif

4 hours ago, oracle79 said:

That's what you get with an O-line that can't change the line of scrimmage. This ain't your father's Auburn team.

Which is causing the choice of plays available to us to become more and more limited. That in turn is making it easier on defenses.

I'd like to see the play Cam & Lutz ran against Alabama.  Sort of a fake-run-right, throwback left to the tight end.  Misdirection.

3 hours ago, 1auburn1 said:

Doubtful

IDK if this team really works on the red zone at all. Sean was a precision short-intermed passer in the red zone but he looked SHOCKED once it came down time to score here. As did every other skill position player. Stidham has (or at least had before this recent stretch) comparable vision in that range to Sean with more velocity and has been just as confuddled. I know they SAY they work down here in practice but the only successful passing play (FROM THE QB) I remember us running down here and working in recent memory was that Canella TD. I dont think we've just lined up and called a normal play, no gimmicks or nothing, and it worked other than that.

16 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

I agree the OL is terrible, but many teams that struggle to run the ball still manage to put up lots of points, especially against teams as bad as Arkansas. North Texas had over 400 yards of offense on Arkansas. No one is going to convince me that North Texas has more talent on the offensive line than Auburn.

I hope IronMan doesn’t mind, I copied and pasted the following from him in reference to our O-line play.

“Which is causing the choice of plays available to us to become more and more limited. That in turn is making it easier for our opponents D” 

Again, I hope IronMan doesn’t mind, I just didn’t want to take credit for what he posted. 

If we have attempted more than 5 passes since 2014 in which the ball traveled over the goal line our RZ offense would be much harder to defend. Of course Arky stuffed that 4th and 1. They literally watched us run the same BS in the same exact friggin situation 7 days prior.

Sometimes we do cool stuff like run the same play for Shivers 2 weeks in a row, then for the 3rd game we fake that same exact play for a successful gain. And sometimes we do the dumbest stuff like what we're talking about here. I get it that Gus runs plays to set up others, but at this point in his tenure it seems like the balance between these "setup plays" and the counter to them is hindering us more than helping us because our OL is so subpar that we simply cannot afford to waste any downs.

27 minutes ago, Tiger said:

If we have attempted more than 5 passes since 2014 in which the ball traveled over the goal line our RZ offense would be much harder to defend. Of course Arky stuffed that 4th and 1. They literally watched us run the same BS in the same exact friggin situation 7 days prior.

Sometimes we do cool stuff like run the same play for Shivers 2 weeks in a row, then for the 3rd game we fake that same exact play for a successful gain. And sometimes we do the dumbest stuff like what we're talking about here. I get it that Gus runs plays to set up others, but at this point in his tenure it seems like the balance between these "setup plays" and the counter to them is hindering us more than helping us because our OL is so subpar that we simply cannot afford to waste any downs.

It only works when we have an OL so powerful and playmakers so dynamic that they’re able to get yardage off those set-up plays...like the 1st down dives.

The cat is out of the bag. Everybody can defend our pathetic playbook.  When we get momentum we immediately revert back to what was failing earlier. Running up the gut or off tackle, out of the shotgun, directly into a stacked box is beyond stupid.  YOU CANNOT FIX STUPID. 

Fire the O-line.  there is NO  way that Ashley and Trox and Brahms and others could possibly fold faster then the current starters.  AT WORST they could be equally as bad  defenders are in our backfield the second the the ball is snapped

4 hours ago, AU-24 said:

I hope IronMan doesn’t mind, I copied and pasted the following from him in reference to our O-line play.

“Which is causing the choice of plays available to us to become more and more limited. That in turn is making it easier for our opponents D” 

Again, I hope IronMan doesn’t mind, I just didn’t want to take credit for what he posted. 

LOL, I don't mind. But yeah, an inability to run block between the tackles not only limits available plays but also the threat to the defense of a play call going there. Not good.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure our offense under Gus has always stalled in the red zone. Cam was just big enough to bully his way in regardless of the call. I seem to recall even Nick Marshall’s time struggling in the red zone. Again this boils down to not throwing the ball in that area. 

Me thinks Cam was calling a decent amount of audibles while he was here...

I would sell out on the run in the red zone against us.

21 hours ago, KolchakAU85 said:

I'd like to see the play Cam & Lutz ran against Alabama.  Sort of a fake-run-right, throwback left to the tight end.  Misdirection.

We were discussing that type play earlier.

Bootlegs with pass options (especially toss backs like that one) are almost unstoppable.

6 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

This worked once....

Image result for bo jackson over the top gif

Nobody lines up to run that type play any more.  Sad...

First of all get out of the shotgun.  Get the QB under center with the FB and RB in the I.  Put Brown, Davidson or Coe in at FB to blow a hole right up the middle and let Boobie run the ball down their throats.  Quit trying to be cute and MAN UP!  

Archived