Official Kavanaugh hearing thread

NolaAuTiger

13 minutes ago, AUDub said:

A SCOTUS majority for a generation. Kavanaugh getting shot down actually helped their midterm chances more. 

Gotcha! Thanks for explaining!

I have been trying to ignore politics lately to avoid being angry, but lately it is not working very well. I don't care about Kavanaugh. I DO care when angry women tell me that I should not be allowed to have an opinion if I have not been sexually abused. It may seem crazy, but I think that the EXTREMELY vocal angry women may end up causing more people to vote R than D. It will be interesting either way

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More of Collins speech. I would like to know what she lied about. She stated nothing but facts. It is clearly Ford who is either delusional and used or should be tried for perjury.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/10/05/susan-collins-kavanaugh-speech-senator-blasts-leaker-fords-name-defends-feinstein

25 minutes ago, Grumps said:

I have been trying to ignore politics lately to avoid being angry, but lately it is not working very well. I don't care about Kavanaugh. I DO care when angry women tell me that I should not be allowed to have an opinion if I have not been sexually abused. It may seem crazy, but I think that the EXTREMELY vocal angry women may end up causing more people to vote R than D. It will be interesting either way

Until you’re married to a woman who was molested when she was 9 years old by a family member, and subsequently told she was lying, then maybe you can understand. 

Perhaps I’m reading your post wrong or this is non sequitur; but the way you phrased your post here is pretty bad. 

17 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Until you’re married to a woman who was molested when she was 9 years old by a family member, and subsequently told she was lying, then maybe you can understand. 

Surprising how frequent this is. I too have a family member molested at a young age. Thankfully, her abuser went to jail. The trips to the CHIPS clinic at Children's for colposcopies still sucked ass. No fixing that. Luckily, she's well adjusted and married to a good guy now. 

1 hour ago, AUFAN78 said:

True. Sane people vote as well.

Here's a thought:

What happens if we have another situation like Bush v. Gore in 2020 and this SCOTUS proclaims Trump president with less of the popular vote (as happened then and in 2016).

Do you assume that whoever is in Gore's place this time around will be as accommodating and gracious to that decision?  How do you think the the majority of voters will react?

The combination of our constitutional electoral system + a partisan majority on the SCOTUS is fraught with the possibility of civil unrest.  The polarity in our politics has the potential to ruin us.  And Trump is accentuating the problem.

2 hours ago, around4ever said:

Talk 99.5 in Bham has planned a "Beer for Brett" celebration Monday night at a local establishment.  When the advertising started on the radio this afternoon, the establishment received quite a few phone calls threatening the business and patrons.  The establishment backed down and will not hold the event.  Are there no limits that the left will go to?  

"the left"  :-\

See, you're part of the problem.

3 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

This is where I call BS on Collins.  You either believe Ford here or you don't.  If you believe her, then there's a basic acceptance that Kavanaugh was the perpetrator of Ford's trauma.  If you don't believe her, then fine, but just freaking say it.  As most sexual assault cases do, it comes down to how compelling is the witness.  I think Collins just lied through her teeth here to make herself look like a woman who doesn't want to appear callous.

Of course you think it is BS. All good. 

1 hour ago, Grumps said:

Is that happening on a regular basis? 

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Was it ever introduced as a Senate policy and voted on ?

Huh? Of course not. The senate does not vote on "policies." They vote on "bills." Bills reflect policy, but the latter doesn't necessitate the presence of the former. Tighten up on your fundamental understanding, or lack thereof, of the legislative procedure. Save yourself some trouble and bash Biden. Don't tread water

Do you consider it a weakness or a strength?

What does it matter?

You'll have to explain that.

It seems that you're asking @WDavE for evidence of an absence. For example, that Garland doesn't have a "Ford" or that Garland wasn't a heavy drinker.  

Just now, NolaAuTiger said:

Huh? Of course not. The senate does not vote on "policies." They vote on "bills." Bills reflect policy, but the latter doesn't necessitate the presence of the former. Tighten up on your fundamental understanding, or lack thereof, of the legislative procedure. Save yourself some trouble and bash Biden. Don't tread water

So, it was just a speech.

McConnell reached back and (cherry) picked out a speech and used it to justify his decision as if it were established policy.  Got it.

J/K everyone trying to have a little fun. This will not be over especially if the Dem's take over congress/senate will try and impeach Trump and BK just get ready for the rumble

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

So, it was just a speech.

McConnell reached back and (cherry) picked out a speech and used it to justify his decision as if it were established policy.  Got it.

No he just pointed to it as a friendly reminder to you whiney hypocrites. 

52 minutes ago, homersapien said:

"the left"  :-\

See, you're part of the problem.

As are you and everybody who has a political opinion. 

18 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Of course you think it is BS. All good. 

Dude, I resigned myself to a 5-4 conservative majority the moment this seat opened.  It still doesn't change my mind that Collins was intellectually dishonest in her speech today.

18 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

What does it matter?

What a banal diversion. :no:

Anyway, the question is whether an unlimited capacity to entertain utter stupidity is more of a weakness than a strength. 

I think so, do you? 

If not, why?

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Dude, I resigned myself to a 5-4 conservative majority the moment this seat opened.  It still doesn't change my mind that Collins was intellectually dishonest in her speech today.

Right but we know biases inform our interpretations of her speech. I’m sure you didn’t care for Manchin’s words either.

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Was Feinstein dishonest in stating she didn't know how Dr. Ford's name got leaked?  The letter was sent to her. Why did Dr. Ford trust her after that?  It was all orchestrated by we know who. That's where the FBI should be investigating. 

5 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

No he just pointed to it as a friendly reminder to you whiney hypocrites. 

How very Senate Majority Leader-ish of him.  

He was using it for justification when everyone knew the actual truth.  As if Biden's opinion counted for anything with McConnell. :rolleyes:

And you talk about hypocrites.  :laugh:

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

Nice diversion but a little banal.

But, the question is whether an unlimited capacity to entertain utter stupidity is more of a weakness than a strength. 

I think so, do you?  If not, why?

You toil and labor to pick through every sentence with a comb. It’s kind of embarrassing for you. Do you ever wonder why no one else labors with dissecting minute points to the extent you do?

Good grief dude. Step back and look at how silly this is. Think about the argument you’re trying to construct. I know you want to be a warrior for Titan but geez, ease off the throttle. Your desperation for a “win” only humiliates you. 

5 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:
7 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Right but we know biases inform our interpretations of her speech

Collins speech was great this afternoon and on target bulls-eye. No other way to slice it. 

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

How very Senate Majority Leader-ish of him.  

He was using it for justification when everyone knew the actual truth.  As if Biden's opinion counted for anything with McConnell. :rolleyes:

And you talk about hypocrites.  :laugh:

You’re the one bitching, not me. Should’ve had a majority, but guess what, ya didn’t.

Archived