Official Kavanaugh hearing thread

NolaAuTiger

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

Not following the logic there.

I sounds like you believe citizens in cities don't have equal rights to citizens living outside cities. 

Not at all what I'm saying.  The people in Alabama have different needs and beliefs than the people of New York. The system allows for equal representation. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, TitanTiger said:

Then you want to do away with the US Senate?

No, I think that's a seperate issue because we do have the HoR.  I get where you're going, but when it comes to a presidential/VP election, the conversation shifts.  It's the only time the nation as a whole votes for one office.  Votes in that case shouldn't be weighted.  Keeping the Senate as is makes sense so that smaller states can still have say.

5 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Not at all what I'm saying.  The people in Alabama have different needs and beliefs than the people of New York. The system allows for equal representation. 

But not equal voting power in a Presidential election.  Equal representation is what the Senate is for.

10 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I believe in the power of 1 person, 1 vote and that they all have equal weight.

What if California's interests as a state runs contrary to Louisiana's interests as a state. Or New York's interests contrary to Alabama's - two very diverse economies. How in the hell is that fair? 

2 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

What if California's interests as a state runs contrary to Louisiana's interests as a state. Or New York's interests contrary to Alabama's - two very diverse economies. How in the hell is that fair? 

How is it fair that a voter in Wyoming has 5x more voting power than I do in Texas during a presidential election?  Think those economies aren't different?  I just ran the math and those are the numbers.  Happy to show my work.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

But not equal voting power.

Right. It's based on population so the more populated states still have more voting power but the lesser populated states still have a say in the election. 

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

But not equal voting power in a Presidential election.  Equal representation is what the Senate is for.

Conversely one could argue that equal voting power is what the House is for.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

How is it fair that a voter in Wyoming has 5x more voting power than I do in Texas?  Think those economies aren't different?  I just ran the math and those are the numbers.  Happy to show my work.

What do you mean that they have more voting power?

What are your thoughts on the long-established, "vote on your feet" notion (is it unduly burdensome)?

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Conversely one could argue that equal voting power is what the House is for.

On bills, sure.  But I'm specifically speaking about the one national office that everyone votes for.  Nothing more.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

On bills, sure.  But I'm specifically speaking about the one national office that everyone votes for.  Nothing more.

There's nothing sent down from God on high about this branch being equal representation and that branch being proportional.  It's neither inherently fair or unfair.  It's just what we decide for it to be.

Just now, NolaAuTiger said:

What do you mean that they have more voting power?

What are your thoughts on the long-established, "vote on your feet" notion (is it unduly burdensome)?

Voting power breaks down like this.

There are just under 580,000 people living in Wyoming.  They have 3 electoral college votes.  So it breaks down to 1 electoral college vote for every 193,000 people.

In Texas, there are 28.3M people and 36 electoral votes.  That breaks down to one electoral vote for every 786,000 people.  

Thus my vote counts for less per electoral vote in Texas than it would if I lived in Wyoming.

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

There's nothing sent down from God on high about this branch being equal representation and that branch being proportional.  It's neither inherently fair or unfair.  It's just what we decide for it to be.

I agree.  It's what a bunch of dudes, who are fallable, agreed to nearly 250 years ago.  I think, based on the country's growth and a greater understanding of the math, that it needs to be revisited.

10 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

So which is she...lying or crazy?

Apparently wrong  memory of who assaulted her since there is no one to prove her story. But she has for sure been raped and used by the Dems.  I  did and still do believe in the long accepted premise of innocent until proven guilty. And both Rachel  and Collins (women) did a great job of showing holes in Ford's story.

Just now, around4ever said:

Yes and a lot richer.  😂

I've seen nothing about her to suggest she got paid or that she's crazy or in the habit of making spurious accusations.

7 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Right. It's based on population so the more populated states still have more voting power but the lesser populated states still have a say in the election. 

Read my other posts here.  It explains my position, with numbers.  I'm not arguing a states issue.  I'm arguing that each person in this country should have the same say when it comes to the only two nationally voted on offices we have (POTUS and VP).

2 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Apparently wrong  memory of who assaulted her since there is no one to prove her story. 

If you could ever just read the damn posts you've missed before responding, that would be really great.

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Read my other posts here.  It explains my position, with numbers.  I'm not arguing a states issue.  I'm arguing that each person in this country should have the same say when it comes to the only two nationally voted on offices we have (POTUS and VP).

Revising the system using your numbers, either Wyoming has no representation or states like Texas, California and New York would have way too much representation. 

Christine Blasey Ford doesn't want Kavanaugh impeached, has no regrets

There was also this tidbit:

Banks also hit out at a Republican talking point following Ford's testimony last week that she wasn't aware there was an offer from committee Republicans to fly to California to interview her in her home state. Banks said Senate Judiciary Chairman Chuck Grassley's statements about the offer during the hearing confused Ford.

"We, as her counsel, informed her of all options made available to us by the committee. We showed her all of the correspondence," Bank said. "And what they were offering was sending staffers to speak to her. Dr. Ford wanted to speak to the committee members herself. And I think what you saw in the hearing was that Dr. Ford got a little confused and thought Sen. Grassley was suggesting that he himself would have come to California, which is not what he offered at all."

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Voting power breaks down like this.

There are just under 580,000 people living in Wyoming.  They have 3 electoral college votes.  So it breaks down to 1 electoral college vote for every 193,000 people.

In Texas, there are 28.3M people and 36 electoral votes.  That breaks down to one electoral vote for every 786,000 people.  

Thus my vote counts for less per electoral vote in Texas than it would if I lived in Wyoming.

Right but the reason this is in place is because if we were to do away with the Electoral College, subsequent POTUS elections will reward candidates and parties who cater to urban voters and it would tilt national policies towards big-city interests. Small town issues and rural values would become obsolete. Direct democracy centralizes power (i.e., government, business, finance, media, etc.) to urban areas to the unjust detriment of the rest of the nation. How is that "better" for the United States? 

Furthermore, citizens have always been permitted to "vote on their feet."

Just now, around4ever said:

Revising the system using your numbers, either Wyoming has no representation or states like Texas, California and New York would have way too much representation. 

No, they wouldn't.  I'm not saying change anything with regards to Capitol Hill (House or Senate).  I'm saying 1 person, 1 vote, same weight for two offices since they're the only two we all vote on (POTUS and VP).  It's about the individual, not the state.

7 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I've seen nothing about her to suggest she got paid or that she's crazy or in the habit of making spurious accusations.

Well over $1M in GoFundMe accounts and no telling how much under the table for ruining her life.  Five minutes into her testimony, I said she is not all there, whether it was crazy or sedatives, I don't know. 

1 minute ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Right but the reason this is in place is because if we were to do away with the Electoral College, subsequent POTUS elections will reward candidates and parties who cater to urban voters and it would tilt national policies towards big-city interests. Small town issues and rural values would become obsolete. Direct democracy centralizes power (i.e., government, business, finance, media, etc.) to urban areas to the unjust detriment of the rest of the nation. How is that "better" for the United States? 

Furthermore, citizens have always been permitted to "vote on their feet."

Not really because the Senate is still in play.  Smaller states will still have substantial power there.  POTUS or VP can't do it all on their own.  

Not sure what you mean by the "vote on their feet" comment.  Need clarification.

1 minute ago, around4ever said:

Well over $1M in GoFundMe accounts and no telling how much under the table for ruining her life.  Five minutes into her testimony, I said she is not all there, whether it was crazy or sedatives, I don't know. 

She had no way of knowing the GoFundMe thing would happen, and there's zero to suggest she got paid under the table.  

The latter suggestion is ridiculous.

Archived