Official Kavanaugh hearing thread

NolaAuTiger

6 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Who said I wasn't living with it?  I have previously said that a conservative majority on the SC was cemented the moment this seat came open.  But nowhere does innocent until proven guilty apply in our society except a court of law during a criminal trial.  To say otherwise is simply asserting a false notion.  Just be accurate in what you say.  That's all I'm asking.

That is strictly your opinion. I respect it but I think you are just throwing around Dem talking points we have heard ad nauseam. For me it is a core principle I have been taught since childhood. I don't appreciate your personal assertion  that it is a false notion. In any event, my last post in this thread. The vote is history and I have started a post confirmation thread. Carry on.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Proud Tiger said:

That is strictly your opinion. I respect it but I think you are just throwing around Dem talking points we have heard ad nauseam. For me it is a core principle I have been taught since childhood. I don't appreciate your personal assertion  that it is a false notion. In any event, my last post in this thread. The vote is history and I have started a post confirmation thread. Carry on.

It's not a "Dem talking point".  I'm actually talking about our laws, as they are written.  People get hired/fired all the time for accusations or for things that would never hold up in a court.

Here's my key question/example and feel free to answer or not answer.  If innocent until proven guilty applies everywhere, then why do teams suspend or cut players all of the time for crimes they are only accused of in actual courts?

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

And no one here is saying they do.  But you still have not addressed why 1 man, 1 vote is inherently a less fair system than the one we have.  Again I ask and would love for you to actually freaking answer, why is it ok for my vote to count for less than others, especially when I pay taxes just like everyone else?

Because we are a democratic republic not a democracy alone.

Because our founding fathers chose this process for the same reasons Nola has stated numerous times, to make it fair in all corners of our country and not by local mob rule. 

Because we are Americans. 

It is just how it is. You were born into this sysyem. Only when certain people are elected or in this case a certain judge is approved, people have a problem with it.  America is the best country in the world, could be worse if you were born elsewhere. Geeze people!

God Bless America, or do you have a problem with that too???

3 minutes ago, jw 4 au said:

Because we are a democratic republic not a democracy alone.

Because our founding fathers chose this process for the same reasons Nola has stated numerous times, to make it fair in all corners of our country and not by local mob rule. 

Because we are Americans. 

It is just how it is. You were born into this sysyem. Only when certain people are elected or in this case a certain judge is approved, people have a problem with it.  America is the best country in the world, could be worse if you were born elsewhere. Geeze people!

God Bless America, or do you have a problem with that too???

You should really go back to how this debate started.  My issue is not about who got elected.  It never has been.  It's about 1 man, 1 vote and that meaning something.  Our country has changed laws throughout it's history to keep with the times as we have a better understanding of concepts.  The founding fathers were not perfect, and in this instance, I believe they screwed up.

Your argument as stated here boils down to "appealing to tradition".  That's fallacious reasoning.

Archived