Is Chip actually running HIS O?

GwillMac6

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Yeah that's one of the questions that needs to be asked. I don't see him as a complacent person. He has a history of a strong work ethic and complacency would run counter to that. My thought is Gus = Gollum and his offense = the ring. He's not going to let go of that thing until it ruins him. 

my-precious2.jpg

He was a defensive coordinator when he started coaching high school football. When he started as a head coach he went and borrowed offensive concepts from coaches all over Arkansas to develop his own formula. He's ridden that offensive formula all the way to where he is now. Unlike most head coaches, he doesn't come from a coaching tree. He doesn't know anything other than what got him here. Therefore, he doesn't trust any other mode of thinking. It kind of makes sense. The second he lets go of his offense, what else does he have to offer? What is his value, if not in his offensive "genius"? 

Nailed it

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Nothing happen to that guy. He is the same guy. The issue is people caught on to his kinks. It was innovative and new for a time, especially when you had the right personell for it, but once people started figuring it out, he never evolved like the DCs did. He is the t pain of college football. Auto tune was nice and catchy when he first started really using it, but when everyone else started using it and mastering it in different ways, he fell off. Couldn’t find ways to reinvent himself. Tis is the same with Gus.

Fantastic analogy in regards to autotune.

--

I'm ready to rip the band-aid off. Any future success will not be sustainable by this guy because any bucking of the trend no matter how successful is only temporary. He is a painfully slow learner. We literally don't gameplan for teams. We just do what we always do. If it works, great. If not? Keep doing it until it does. Or until the clock expires.

3 hours ago, AuMarine said:

I am just an old leatherneck..

we called y'all something else but i got along great with the marines i met and partied with. good people.....

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Nailed it

Fantastic analogy in regards to autotune.

--

I'm ready to rip the band-aid off. Any future success will not be sustainable by this guy because any bucking of the trend no matter how successful is only temporary. He is a painfully slow learner. We literally don't gameplan for teams. We just do what we always do. If it works, great. If not? Keep doing it until it does. Or until the clock expires.

Yep.  Gus does not adjust plays, scheme or play calling to take advantage of a defense's weakness.  He is going to run his offense no matter what the defense is doing.  I often wonder if he knows how to grade a film and scout defense's. 

26 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Yep.  Gus does not adjust plays, scheme or play calling to take advantage of a defense's weakness.  He is going to run his offense no matter what the defense is doing.  I often wonder if he knows how to grade a film and scout defense's. 

I have stopped wondering

23 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

I was able to get some still shots of practice and here it is...now, I think its obvious in this first photo that is Gus’s hand on the left all up in the gameplanning...

9154D9DD-A71F-4AD7-B941-6C8FE1B432AA.jpeg

This brings back childhood memories of one of the best football toys a young kid could ever want!  I loved when they locked arms did a dosey do dance until you killed the power and unhooked them!

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

we called y'all something else but i got along great with the marines i met and partied with. good people.....

I have heard them all.. we always had a great relationship with the navy since y’all took us everywhere we needed to be... we were all working together for the same cause.  

4 hours ago, boomstick said:

Seems to be a lot of frustrated players on offense similar to Asa. 

I was upset he decided to bounce that run outside when we only needed @ 24 inches for a first down. I would have chewed that rear end for not putting his shoulder down and running up his tackles butt. So if he wants to be frustrated he should start with himself.

Regardless of who’s running what, Chip is obviously in over his head. How did these people beat Alabama and Georgia last year? I just don’t get it, I just don’t get it?

16 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Regardless of who’s running what, Chip is obviously in over his head. How did these people beat Alabama and Georgia last year? I just don’t get it, I just don’t get it?

Living proof of the saying, "Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then." B)

1 minute ago, milehighfan said:

Living proof of the saying, "Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then." B)

Maybe so; that makes as much sense as anything we’ve seen on the field this year.

22 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Maybe so; that makes as much sense as anything we’ve seen on the field this year.

But both teams ??? This is s head scratcher 

11 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Open question to the board: Does anybody even get mad anymore? I don't. I mean, I'm generally angry about the situation. But when I watched the game the other night, it wasn't really anger so much as sad resignation. I actually did that sad, "are you kidding me" laugh a couple times. 

Honestly, since I just took the its a game attitude (I'm destroying Auburn football I know) I have enjoyed college football as a whole much much more.

I still do the are you kidding me or the instant c'mon man reactions of course. Like the overthrown wideouts or that Sweat kid just abusing out line.

This has been especially true since I have left Alabama. Those guys really did ruin the fun of college football for me just having to deal with their fans and out-talenting everyone. I don't even watch SEC games anymore outside of Auburn anymore.

I now go to Texas games and watch parties for Big 12 schools of friends. I have alot of fun with college football now.

Do I want to see us get our crap together, absolutely, but if we blow it to Tenn next weekend I'm not gonna let it mess up the ACL Metallica tickets the girlfriend got us or the Baylor/UT tickets we have also.

7 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I now go to Texas games and watch parties for Big 12 schools of friends. I have alot of fun with college football now.

I say this in fun, and don't take it the wrong way, but you would be (are?) the perfect Texas fan.:bow:

4 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

I say this in fun, and don't take it the wrong way, but you would be (are?) the perfect Texas fan.:bow:

I'm a damn awesome die hard Cub's fan also according to the neighbor I had in Chicago also lol. I don't like the Cubs either...Rangers(well trained for disappointment lol) and Braves.

Course it was my loving sister that went to Ok State after a close loss to OU that yelled "You may of won the game but we are going to win the party cause you're too pissed about us being close to have any fun, enjoy your night and your ride home bitches!" lol. Then we hit Joe's and had fun while the OU fans complained.

9 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

In general, I find Big 12 and Pac-12 football to be more entertaining than SEC football, so I completely understand that.  Bedlam is almost always a fun game to watch.

give me the marines and seals and i would won the world! if you are still serving be careful out there.

Just looked at the stat lines from the game

Boobee had 8 carries for 88yds 11yds/carry

Schwartz 1 carry 17 yards

Traditional Gus wouldn’t let a RB averaging 11 yards a carry only get 8 touches.  Same with the jet sweep.  

Stidham had 38 attempts.  Traditional Gus doesn’t throw almost 40 times.

Bring Back the Run

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

Traditional Gus wouldn’t let a RB averaging 11 yards a carry only get 8 touches.  Same with the jet sweep.  

Bring Back the Run

Plus, doesn't the "fumble" remove the run yardage he made on that run? Could be wrong but if true, that was a 40 yd run or so, wasn't it?

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

Plus, doesn't the "fumble" remove the run yardage he made on that run? Could be wrong but if true, that was a 40 yd run or so, wasn't it?

I think you're right on both counts. 

@GwillMac6, Unequivocally no. Anyone who says otherwise isn't paying attention. 

I was one of the ones who blamed Lashlee. 

Then my eyes were opened. 

After Chip was brought in and the offense looked the exact same... After we are still running up to the LOS and quick snapping it followed by a run up the gut... After the Coxcat... It became crystal clear that Gus is still in complete control of the offense. Chip may well be calling the plays, but he is calling from a list of about 8 plays that Gus pre-approves before the game. 

All anyone needs to do is watch his offenses from his time as Southern Miss OC. Then one should watch his offenses from Arizona State. Those offenses resemble each other. 

This offense looks like it could still be Lashlee at OC. 

Gus needs to let his OC hire his own coaches and run their own offense. Until he does, this is what we will have. This is just like Tony Franklin vs the BBQ gang. Franklin wasn't allowed to hire HIS own coaches. Franklin wasn't allowed to run HIS offense. It was a disaster! Chip wasn't allowed to hire HIS coaches, and Chip isn't allowed to run HIS offense. And this offense has had the same results as the Tony Franklin experiment. 

On 10/7/2018 at 6:50 PM, gr82b4au said:

I am fascinated by this thread. People can say whatever they want because they really don’t know.

The offense stinks and Chip Lindsey is the coordinator. He is doing a terrible job. But Gus is at fault because he hired him... And it was probably the only person he could get to work for him on offense.

It's pretty clear to anyone that can go back and watch film from his prior stops. If Chip is running his own offense, he decided to best to not run his offense that got him hired by his 2 previous schools. And there isn't much chance of that happening. 

On 10/7/2018 at 7:04 PM, keesler said:

Yep the offense is stinks, but right now I’m more concerned with how bad the defense executed last night.  There seemed to be zero adjustments made to stop Fitz running rough shod all night long, poor tackling, bad angles, just a really bad game plan defensively.

The defense can only do so much when the offense gets less than 80 yards before halftime, or less than 20 minutes time of possession for the entire game. 

On 10/7/2018 at 7:09 PM, AuCivilEng1 said:

I think Chip is running his offense. We just don’t have the players to run it. Piss poor blocking from the line, and from the receivers, a shaky QB, and 3 or 4 young and average running backs. About the only above average players on the offense are the receivers and Chandler Cox. No way Gus took control of the offense. The guy is stubborn, but I don’t believe he’s that stubborn after all that crap with Rhett and how bad the offense ha been for the past few weeks. 

He isn't. Like I've been saying in other comments, watch some games of his Southern Miss team. Then watch somw of his Arizona State team. Then watch any game post Washington this season. 

The answer will be CLEAR. 

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

It's pretty clear to anyone that can go back and watch film from his prior stops. If Chip is running his own offense, he decided to best to not run his offense that got him hired by his 2 previous schools. And there isn't much chance of that happening. 

The defense can only do so much when the offense gets less than 80 yards before halftime, or less than 20 minutes time of possession for the entire game. 

He isn't. Like I've been saying in other comments, watch some games of his Southern Miss team. Then watch somw of his Arizona State team. Then watch any game post Washington this season. 

The answer will be CLEAR. 

VERY TRUE. And I have been saying over a year now... Gus refuses to let go of the Offense. Chip is allowed to "suggest" plays.  Last Saturday was one the WORST Offensive games I have ever witnessed.. something has got to change! ASAP!! 

17 hours ago, AU-24 said:

2 reasons. 

1. Gus was coaching for his job and he knew it. 

2. KJ

3 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Bring Back the Run

Funny thing with games, when the offense can't maintain any semblance of time of possession in a game, and the other team is up, passing is your ONLY option. You can't be running the ball when you are down and over half the 3rd QTR is over before you even get the ball back. 

Archived