Auburn People Deserve Better...

ellitor

Here's a copy of the email I sent to Leath this morning.  As soon as he sees it I'm SURE changes will be made (yes, I'm being sarcastic!).  If nothing else it made me feel better!

Dr. Leath,

Let me start off by saying I am not a big time booster or some "big wig," but I am an Auburn graduate (class of 1987), and have been an AU fan all my life.  My father (Class of 1949) grew up in Auburn and spent his adult life in Mobile where I was raised. I'm a "cradle" Auburn fan and  love Auburn University.
Auburn University is NOT all about Auburn football, but football is a powerful marketing tool and exposes Auburn to national recognition.  Something you don't seem to understand.
I am amazed at the complete lack of competency you have shown in the last 12 months.  To offer Gus that kind of contract, especially with that kind of buyout, was down right stupid.  It shows that you either didn't understand how coaches contracts work, or you were highly influenced by the BOT, and probably one BOT member in particular.
Secondly, the way you have handled the situation the past week or so is, quite frankly, unacceptable.  All you had to do was make a statement and let the Auburn folks know what the hell was going on.  Instead you scurried out of town and left Harbert in charge and shut out our Athletic Director.  That shows me you don't have the guts to handle the position you are in nor stand behind difficult decisions that have to be made.  
I will continue to love and support Auburn University, but I will not support the bumbling incompetent "leadership" (and I use that term loosely) that is currently in place and supposedly making decisions based on what is best for the University, the Alumni, and general supporters of the University.

3 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Auburn is an extension of the world we live in. A wealthy hand full are deciding what's best for everyone. 

It’s the “Golden Rule”. Those that have the gold, makes the rules.  Been that way for a long time, a person has to understand that in dealing people with money.

14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

You're an outlier often which is cool. If you are originally from Canada as your avi name suggests then that explains it. lol

Bingo, eh?

2 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Just cause you have $$$ does not mean you know wth you are doing as it relates to athletics. Sometimes you need to tell money people to go you know where....yes your cash is appreciated but please let me do my job without your input or idle threats. Gus is still here because someone with some money wants him to be here.

The "idle threats" some use to pull the puppet strings is the most irritating part of all of this. And the fact that they use their money to gain an retain power & influence even when it damages the Auburn brand is alarming when we see how they choose to manipulate people and wield their power.   

I truly appreciate Phillip Marshall for calling it out, for naming names and bringing the unfiltered truth.  PM didn't try to sugar coat the chain of events that Raymond Harbert & Steven Leath used to manipulate the football coaches, Allen Greene, the entire fan base as well as their fellow BOT members & other major financial donors of AU Athletics.

19 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

I'll be the heretic and suggest this well written piece is premature. (Then again I thought Chizik deserved another season and we should have done whatever it took to hold onto Eddie Gran, so what do I know).😉

Very, very curious what these last few seasons would have looked like with Eddie Gran on staff. 

32 minutes ago, auelvis87 said:

Here's a copy of the email I sent to Leath this morning.  As soon as he sees it I'm SURE changes will be made (yes, I'm being sarcastic!).  If nothing else it made me feel better!

Dr. Leath,

Let me start off by saying I am not a big time booster or some "big wig," but I am an Auburn graduate (class of 1987), and have been an AU fan all my life.  My father (Class of 1949) grew up in Auburn and spent his adult life in Mobile where I was raised. I'm a "cradle" Auburn fan and  love Auburn University.
Auburn University is NOT all about Auburn football, but football is a powerful marketing tool and exposes Auburn to national recognition.  Something you don't seem to understand.
I am amazed at the complete lack of competency you have shown in the last 12 months.  To offer Gus that kind of contract, especially with that kind of buyout, was down right stupid.  It shows that you either didn't understand how coaches contracts work, or you were highly influenced by the BOT, and probably one BOT member in particular.
Secondly, the way you have handled the situation the past week or so is, quite frankly, unacceptable.  All you had to do was make a statement and let the Auburn folks know what the hell was going on.  Instead you scurried out of town and left Harbert in charge and shut out our Athletic Director.  That shows me you don't have the guts to handle the position you are in nor stand behind difficult decisions that have to be made.  
I will continue to love and support Auburn University, but I will not support the bumbling incompetent "leadership" (and I use that term loosely) that is currently in place and supposedly making decisions based on what is best for the University, the Alumni, and general supporters of the University.

here ! here!....my good brother!!!! you be mad when you writ dat, tweren'tcha?....damn good job!

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

The bolded part at the bottom is one of the things that pisses me off most.

How Greene was treated in this pisses me off a bunch too

45 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Auburn is an extension of the world we live in. A wealthy hand full are deciding what's best for everyone. 

#beenthatwayforalloftime

I’m not talking about wins and losses, winning championships or not. Those things are always going to come and go. I’m not even talking about whether Gus Malzahn should be the head coach or not. What Auburn people deserve is to know that the people who make decisions for the place they love so much are making them with the best interests of the university and those who love it at heart." 

In my opinion THAT was the most important paragraph in the article by PM. It focuses on the real problem and not the side issues the PTB use to keep the focus away from them. The same PTB that approves these contracts has also failed to upgrade the stadium in 30 years, failed to build a football only complex and failed to give AU coaches (past, present or future) all the tools they need to compete. The focus needs to remain on these people and should stay there.

3 hours ago, auburnphan said:

How Greene was treated in this pisses me off a bunch too

Yup! Why hire an AD in the first place if he is not allowed to do his flippin job, including cleaning up your own damn messes?

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yup! Why hire an AD in the first place if he is not allowed to do his flippin job, including cleaning up your own damn messes?

Apparently he’s basically nothing more than a ceremonial figurehead when money is involved. I guess his bachelor degree in finance at Notre Dame and his nice resume at Buffalo doesn’t speak for much.

11 hours ago, doverstutts said:

ellitor, i sat down at the latter part of last week and i wrote every single BOT member.....i spent all afternoon typing a form letter, that was respectful,understanding of their position and very much to the point....there was some variation in each such as "Q's" was different than sarah newtons, etc....i explained fan apathy and asked them to guage the "average joe" fanbase, the folks that are the "butts in the seats" type, to get a feel for the sentiment and outlook on the football program and the confidence in those that are responsible for overseeing AU.....i have had exactly one reply.....at this point, blaming coach clouseau is misplacing the blame....after this past week, he is no longer responsible  for the failures of the football program and the finger  has to point  to a higher level

Doverstutts, wow and kudos for making the time to let your voice be heard where it should be. That was a monumental effort. It matters more than you know in the grand scheme of things. As AUTIGEREMT said in another thread, the key is to keep the heat and pressure up and on, exposing the darkness where the light of truth need to dawn. Good job, and thank you. 

You may not like what I do but here goes, I am solicited each year by AU to provide scholarship money.  There were years that I gave and then we had issues with JJ so each time I was called, I stated that I would no longer be giving until JJ was gone from the University.  I had some interesting conversations with the callers and most agreed with my reasoning. (Leadership that keeps incompetent people in high positions when scandals are not addressed, ticketing etc shows no leadership).  I also asked them to put notes in their file about my statements of why I wasn't giving.  Now forward to the beginning of this year, and I get a call post JJ departure.  I laughed and talked about Leath doing something like he did with Gus' contract and again talked about leadership & stewardship of the university that I love.  So until he is gone, and this mess stops, I will not donate to the university.  I do work with my local group to raise scholarship money for local Florida students as I think that is important.  We should not accept incompetence at the helm.  Not in sports and not leading academics.  If we do we hurt our brand and do harm to our students and our great University.

Archived