Finebaum Knows Bo

quietfan

http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregister/pf...29732956640.xml

In the history of this state, there has never been a more natural and well-chiseled athlete than Jackson.

I realize some public opinion polls disagree with me -- particularly, the Mobile Register poll last year that had Joe Namath as the best football player ever in Alabama. Namath was a wonderful athlete, but he was no Bo Jackson.

Sometimes, it's foolish to make broad statements, but I'm going to do it anyway. There will never be another player that equals him, nor do I think anyone will even come close. Jackson was simply that good.

Jackson, who is now 42, was so good that the late Dick Schaap, who hosted ESPN's "The Sports Reporters" and who chronicled athletes for 50 years in books and articles, said: "Bo Jackson is the best athlete I've ever seen."

Boomer Esiason, the former NFL quarterback, said of Jackson: "Very possibly, you're looking at the finest athlete this country has seen in the last 50 years."

Sparky Anderson, the legendary Hall of Fame manager, once said; "Bo Jackson's the best athlete I've ever seen in a baseball uniform."

Now, in addition to his Heisman Trophy, his awards as MVP of the Major League Baseball All-Star game and All-Pro status in the NFL, he also has an apology from a newspaper to put in his trophy case.

It might not be the biggest award Jackson's ever won. But it might be the most surprising.

Thanks for posting this article Quiet. Bo Jackson is also one heck of a human. :au:

Joe Namath as the best football player ever in Alabama? omg...Bo Jackson or Namath? Hmm...that's a tough one. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

A good football player would never be caught in panty hose......or drunk and trying to kiss a TV commentator on the sideline.

Thanks for posting this article Quiet. Bo Jackson is also one heck of a human. :au:

155352[/snapback]

You're welcome--hope you did the link and read the whole article and not just the excerpt I quoted. It goes into more detail about Bo's humantarian efforts.

Bo was the last player I've seen that actually gave you the feeling that something special could happen EVERY TIME he touched the ball. When he took a toss sweep and turned it up, you just held your breath because if he broke the first line of defense he was as good as gone.

On a side note, he handled the steroid accusation like no one else has to this day. They published the story...he sued immediately...they retracted.

I haven't heard of McGuire, Palmeiro, Sosa, Bonds, Schilling etc. doing a thing yet. Bo knew he was clean and EARNED the right to be called great. He slapped them right in the mouth and they retracted the story and apologized. The rest of em' have only whined like babies.

what was the moBILE register thinking!

i'm not even sure joe willie is the best at his position....has the register forgotten about walter lewis? :D

but given the quantity of quality players that have come through the state, i'm not even sure i'd have namath in the top 10 when you consider all positions.

bart starr...stabler... john hannah?

nevermind auburn's heisman winners or even some of the other dominating running backs we had in the 80s... tracy rocker?

ok...i'll stop. let me once again mark the moBILE register off my list of worthy rags.

In my 60 years, I have NEVER seen an athlete like BO Jackson! I'm talking about pure God given talent, speed, moves, strength, quickness, toughness, determination and character. IF one like him comes this way again, it will be years down the road. And just think, he was and is OURS! :cheer::au:

Archived