Chuma Okeke draft discussion

The guards and the treys are just such a big part of this offense that even if BP promised the wings and bigs they'd work the ball within the arc more, the guards are taught to do different things. I think Jared is coming back next year and I doubt hes just gonna become a different style of player 4 years in 

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

The guards and the treys are just such a big part of this offense that even if BP promised the wings and bigs they'd work the ball within the arc more, the guards are taught to do different things. I think Jared is coming back next year and I doubt hes just gonna become a different style of player 4 years in 

I think Bruce just needs more athletic plus offensively accomplished bigs like he had at Tennessee like he had with the big forward he had. He gets one of those & they will get the ball more.

25 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I think Bruce just needs more athletic plus offensively accomplished bigs like he had at Tennessee like he had with the big forward he had. He gets one of those & they will get the ball more.

It's a little of both, we could stand to have more assertive players but our guards are horrible with creating shots for themselves and others.

9 minutes ago, cole256 said:

our guards are horrible with creating shots for themselves and others.

Also when our bigs are in good position in the post they don't pass the ball as often as they should IMO.

14 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It's a little of both, we could stand to have more assertive players but our guards are horrible with creating shots for themselves and others.

I think that will improve with the following recruiting classes.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Also when our bigs are in good position in the post they don't pass the ball as often as they should IMO.

It's the weirdest thing. Our big could have his man perfectly sealed off and we still won't throw it in there. Very frustrating to watch

19 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Harper isn't horrible at either. He creates his own shot often (end of Bama Game) and he is near the top of the league in assists. 

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I agree we need to improve in this area, but it is a skill that hey haven't been asked to use the last few seasons.

5 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

I agree we need to improve in this area, but it is a skill that hey haven't been asked to use the last few seasons.

From my own personal experience the times I've played basketball it's more of a mind set than a skill. When a big has the post sealed it's easy to get the ball inside barring tough on ball pressure which most teams don't relentlessly do.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

From my own personal experience the times I've played basketball it's more of a mind set than a skill. When a big has the post sealed it's easy to get the ball inside barring tough on ball pressure which most teams don't relentlessly do.

I really think the fact our guards are tiny hurts us in this regard some

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Honestly it's both. I've seen our guards stare at the post a few times this year, but be hesitant on whether to lob it in, bounce it in, or what. Brown most of all would benefit from throwing entry passes as he could re-spot and find himself open for better shots. 

23 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

Honestly it's both. I've seen our guards stare at the post a few times this year, but be hesitant on whether to lob it in, bounce it in, or what. Brown most of all would benefit from throwing entry passes as he could re-spot and find himself open for better shots. 

Basketball 101

Mikal Bridges was a junior and went top 10 I think Chuma can work his way up to that if he stays another year IMO. And that will be a big difference in pay for him if he were to come out now. Buddy Hield was a senior and was either 5th or 6th pick I think. So it's certainly possible. And with the way the potential roster could look next year, in our system, Chuma will get tons of opportunity next year to put together an 18/8/4 type of season.

Or he can end the season super hot and go flying up draft boards. He's been balling hard lately. All it takes is a 2 game dominant stretch from him in the NCAAs for him to make a significant move upward on mock drafts and on NBA scouting reports.

On 3/2/2019 at 9:56 AM, Gene Loblaw said:

Is it even a foregone conclusion that he's leaving? I've seen him pop up on a few mock drafts but he's definitely on not a sure fire bona fide 1st round pick yet. Definitely has the potential though to put nba teams on notice if he has a huge month

I'm not an NBA analyst by any means, but I don't think he's ready for the NBA.  He had a good 2nd half of the season, but was inconsistent during the first half.  I think he'll be back at AU next year.

2 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

Harper isn't horrible at either. He creates his own shot often (end of Bama Game) and he is near the top of the league in assists. 

He isnt at setting up and running the offense. Sometimes he does nice worth assists and those times are usually when Brown is on. If making one pass was regarded as being a good facilitator then I'd feel different. He doesn't hold everybody accountable, you rarely see him directing the offense.

And when I say guards I'm talking about the group as a whole and yes they are horrible at it as a group. There shouldn't be a game where Harper only has two assists; he literally plays just about the entire game. 

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

The Texas a&m game was frustrating to watch because AW played great that game. He was really banging their big guy and was changing shots, rebounding great, and he would have his man sealed off and they wouldn't throw the ball in the post. You have to reward your big man

13 minutes ago, cole256 said:

The Texas a&m game was frustrating to watch because AW played great that game. He was really banging their big guy and was changing shots, rebounding great, and he would have his man sealed off and they wouldn't throw the ball in the post. You have to reward your big man

We also need another forward to recognize when Wiley does get the ball in the post and crash the opposite side of the rim. We don’t get enough second chances. 

8 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

Not relying just on stats, Jared does do a poor job of feeding the bigs. I dont know his usage rate but with the amount of time he holds the ball and how virtually everyone either shoots or passes it up, he's fairly bound to get ASTs in this system 

5 hours ago, alexava said:

We also need another forward to recognize when Wiley does get the ball in the post and crash the opposite side of the rim. We don’t get enough second chances. 

Anfernee and Horace play off instinct alot of times when it comes to rebounders. I dont think the stats display them as being good rebounders in that regard, but they also arent skilled rebounders. 

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

You have to reward your big man 

Yup! I was a guard that believed in feeding them the ball often...

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c7f29c1784a4e5832

5 hours ago, alexava said:

We don’t get enough second chances. 

Stats would disagree. We are 2nd in the SEC in Offensive Rebounds per game, 4th in the SEC ORPG %, plus 28th & 36th in both categories respectively. It's D Rebounding where we have struggled greatly.

35 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Not relying just on stats, Jared does do a poor job of feeding the bigs. I dont know his usage rate but with the amount of time he holds the ball and how virtually everyone either shoots or passes it up, he's fairly bound to get ASTs in this system 

Yeah. Most of his assists seem to be for 3s or alley oops.

34 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Anfernee and Horace play off instinct alot of times when it comes to rebounders. I dont think the stats display them as being good rebounders in that regard, but they also arent skilled rebounders. 

I probably don’t watch enough to give strong opinions on our players or team. But sometimes I watch and just scratch my head. We really miss Murray from last year. I think Dunbar might be our most skilled rebounder. On offense we take shots and have nobody in position to rebound as everyone is on the perimeter. On defense we don’t box out and hold position. Especially our smaller guys. It’s really an instinct like pocket awareness for a qb. I’m not sure you can teach it. But when a guard finds himself near the basket on defense and a shot goes up...get in somebody’s way. If you stand there looking up ( only looking up) waiting on the bounce, you’re going to get out jumped. Block someone out and give your bigger guys a better chance.  I think we play harder than we play smart. 

I always thought Rodman was a great rebounder because he could see the ball so well leaving the shooters hands and positioned himself off that read. He was strong too but getting in the correct position and having leverage adds strength. 

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Stats would disagree. We are 2nd in the SEC in Offensive Rebounds per game, 4th in the SEC ORPG %, plus 28th & 36th in both categories respectively. It's D Rebounding where we have struggled greatly.

I think that’s probably because we jack so many threes and get long rebounds. 

1 minute ago, alexava said:

I think that’s probably because we jack so many threes and get long rebounds. 

It helps but 4th in the league & 36th in the nation in ORG % speaks to us being a good O rebounding team.

23 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It helps but 4th in the league & 36th in the nation in ORG % speaks to us being a good O rebounding team.

And missing so many layups.

Archived