Chuma Okeke draft discussion

1 hour ago, DAG said:

As a life long Spurs fan, POP is still coaching at a high level. Also, no disrespect but I can tell you right now, I do not necessarily want Chuma on the squad. Great height, great length, but he is kind of a tweener in terms of the forward position. He also is inconsistent on the offensive end, which scares me in the motion offense that we run.  The Spurs need a legit scorer or a true big man. Remember, our starting pg got hurt in preseason, so Derrick white, who is a combo guard, has been handling the ball for the most part. Once Dejounte gets back, he will be running the point. Hopefully, Derrick goes to the two until Lonnie comes in his own and DeMar can be our wing. I actually prefer Cam Johnson then go for a big.

IF he comes back that inconsistency label would be shattered because next year the whole offense would run through him and he would be the focal point. I can see him being SEC player of the year next season and be a lottery pick.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder what Bruce's advice will be to him.

What kind of track record has Coach Pearl had in these situations?  I know every player is unique, but you get my point.

18 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

IF he comes back that inconsistency label would be shattered because next year the whole offense would run through him and he would be the focal point. I can see him being SEC player of the year next season and be a lottery pick.

That's literally a dream. Every year you may have 2/3 lottery picks come from returning players....I think even thinking the offense will be ran through him is a dream.

19 hours ago, DAG said:

As a life long Spurs fan, POP is still coaching at a high level. Also, no disrespect but I can tell you right now, I do not necessarily want Chuma on the squad. Great height, great length, but he is kind of a tweener in terms of the forward position. He also is inconsistent on the offensive end, which scares me in the motion offense that we run.  The Spurs need a legit scorer or a true big man. Remember, our starting pg got hurt in preseason, so Derrick white, who is a combo guard, has been handling the ball for the most part. Once Dejounte gets back, he will be running the point. Hopefully, Derrick goes to the two until Lonnie comes in his own and DeMar can be our wing. I actually prefer Cam Johnson then go for a big.

Same thing they said about Leonard when he came out. But I don't think people understand how important it is being able to do what he can do on defense

Just now, cole256 said:

That's literally a dream. Every year you may have 2/3 lottery picks come from returning players....I think even thinking the offense will be ran through him is a dream.

Why would the offense not be run through him? Bruce will make some tweaks and have Harper be more of a true point guard which he absolutely can do and has shown from time to time. Chuma would be a easy case as to see why he would be a lottery pick as a returning player. He averaged 11 ppg this season. If he comes back that will bump up to 15 or 16. Either he goes and is a late first which is great or he comes back and becomes a lottery pick. EVEN BETTER!!! WAR DAMN CHUMA!!!! Either way dude is about to get paiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid. 

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Why would the offense not be run through him? Bruce will make some tweaks and have Harper be more of a true point guard which he absolutely can do and has shown from time to time. Chuma would be a easy case as to see why he would be a lottery pick as a returning player. He averaged 11 ppg this season. If he comes back that will bump up to 15 or 16. Either he goes and is a late first which is great or he comes back and becomes a lottery pick. EVEN BETTER!!! WAR DAMN CHUMA!!!! Either way dude is about to get paiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid. 

If he goes late first it was a wasted year. I think about would the offense be ran through him because it wasn't this year. Why next? 

And as car as discussing the lottery look at the history. It's geared for the NBA talent that's playing their first year, whatever international players that show potential. Then the players that disappointed a little but still showed potential. For chumma to be a lottery pick he'd have to average close to 20 and 8 rebounds. I don't see him playing his way into the lottery. Also when you look at lottery picks THEN it will be questions about his scoring because you use lottery picks on players that can carry a team. I don't see him being that type of guy. But he can play a role on a championship team easy

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

If he goes late first it was a wasted year. I think about would the offense be ran through him because it wasn't this year. Why next? 

And as car as discussing the lottery look at the history. It's geared for the NBA talent that's playing their first year, whatever international players that show potential. Then the players that disappointed a little but still showed potential. For chumma to be a lottery pick he'd have to average close to 20 and 8 rebounds. I don't see him playing his way into the lottery. Also when you look at lottery picks THEN it will be questions about his scoring because you use lottery picks on players that can carry a team. I don't see him being that type of guy. But he can play a role on a championship team easy

So you think he should not come out then if you think him going late first this season is a wasted year? Lol you really really want him to go late first to go to a good team. I really really want him to go to a bad team where he has a better chance to start right away. 

33 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Same thing they said about Leonard when he came out. But I don't think people understand how important it is being able to do what he can do on defense

Kawhi Leonard was averaging doubles doubles out of high school and was a very good defender in college. He was considered a borderline lottery pick and a high risk/high reward player when the spurs traded beloved George hill for him. Spurs will have a couple of picks in the first round. I would be extremely surprised if okeke goes before their first potential pick and I wouldn’t be near as in shock if he is available in the late round.

Now , there are quite a bit of athletic forwards who come in to the league with questionable jump shots. Many of them do NOT develop into kawhi Leonard. Let’s just throw that out there lol. Okeke could be a great play but as a spurs fan I don’t think we need to reach for him. If he is there late? Sure pick him up but for our first pick I would rather have the guy from UNC. 

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Kawhi Leonard was averaging doubles doubles out of high school and was a very good defender in college. He was considered a borderline lottery pick and a high risk/high reward player when the spurs traded beloved George hill for him. Spurs will have a couple of picks in the first round. I would be extremely surprised if okeke goes before their first potential pick and I wouldn’t be near as in shock if he is available in the late round.

Now , there are quite a bit of athletic forwards who come in to the league with questionable jump shots. Many of them do NOT develop into kawhi Leonard. Let’s just throw that out there lol. Okeke could be a great play but as a spurs fan I don’t think we need to reach for him. If he is there late? Sure pick him up but for our first pick I would rather have the guy from UNC. 

Okeke was doing that in high school and is known as an excellent defender as well. As far as his offense he was known as a questionable shooter. And didn't play the competition that Okeke has to. Okeke is actually alot better from the 3. You are right there are athletic forwards. I don't think too many with his size speed and length though. But you're right about there are more that doesn't end up like Leonard than does.  But we'll see. Nobody is drafting him thinking offense anyway. Spurs need another defender preferable someone that can literally play 4 positions, and is a good rebounder. A guy like that is harder to find than a guy that just shoot 3 's in a corner. It's really not Okeke shot that's questioned it's will he take a bunch of shots. 

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Okeke was doing that in high school and is known as an excellent defender as well. As far as his offense he was known as a questionable shooter. And didn't play the competition that Okeke has to. Okeke is actually alot better from the 3. You are right there are athletic forwards. I don't think too many with his size speed and length though. But you're right about there are more that doesn't end up like Leonard than does.  But we'll see. Nobody is drafting him thinking offense anyway. Spurs need another defender preferable someone that can literally play 4 positions, and is a good rebounder. A guy like that is harder to find than a guy that just shoot 3 's in a corner. It's really not Okeke shot that's questioned it's will he take a bunch of shots. 

He is by far better at 3s then Leonard was out of college. I wouldn't be opposed to him would be better words. But I also am not the front office GM for the spurs, who knows a hell of a lot more than me.

40 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

So you think he should not come out then if you think him going late first this season is a wasted year? Lol you really really want him to go late first to go to a good team. I really really want him to go to a bad team where he has a better chance to start right away. 

You said Nets and that's about as much competition that you're going to find. But I don't see many people go and become good because there wasn't competition. I've seen it happen more like the other way. Chumma doesn't have enough coaching and isn't going to get enough in one year to think he's going to walk on a bad team and do well enough to shine. If the team suck his numbers will suck as well

And no since teams lookat your upside he should come out this year. Next year they will say he's a junior though

19 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You said Nets and that's about as much competition that you're going to find. But I don't see many people go and become good because there wasn't competition. I've seen it happen more like the other way. Chumma doesn't have enough coaching and isn't going to get enough in one year to think he's going to walk on a bad team and do well enough to shine. If the team suck his numbers will suck as well

And no since teams lookat your upside he should come out this year. Next year they will say he's a junior though

I said Nets because that is where he was projected to go on the last mock from nbadraft.net. I defended them and their culture when you said you would be disappointed if he went there. 

19 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I said Nets because that is where he was projected to go on the last mock from nbadraft.net. I defended them and their culture when you said you would be disappointed if he went there. 

I understand that. I had just posted the site a couple of days before that and it said spurs. I don't know the players contract situations so maybe some are leaving but you have to agree with all the names even you yourself mentioned it's not a bad team where you can play alot scenario

23 minutes ago, bigbird said:

That'll make a few a little upset

Just switch it to you saying it. I stole your stuff anyway 😎

12 hours ago, akillshot said:

https://cbbtoday.com/nba-draft/auburn-combo-forward-chuma-okeke/amp/

Looks like the author has been reading many of Cole's posts on Chuma 

Thanks for sharing! Thats a great find and great article on our boy. I'm not sure why any one would be mad about that article. I think everyone wants and hopes to see chuma playing for many years in the NBA draft. I think at this point Chuma only stays if he wants to stay. 

On 3/20/2019 at 9:12 PM, GwillMac6 said:

I can see him being SEC player of the year next season and be a lottery pick.

I agree!   He outplayed the 2 time SEC player of the year twice this year!  

Well, time to bring this thread back up.

With an assumed ACL type injury, this could actually work to the teams favor. 

He would likely need to work his way back in for another year?

And, maybe, play strong for a year after that to rebuild his post-op resume?

Would never have wished it on him.

Thoughts?

6 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Thoughts?

I understand what you're getting at, but no it doesn't work in the teams favor. We are about to play the biggest game in program history and we need him to be at our best. As for the future, Drs are so good at repairing knee injuries now that I doubt this injury would make him stay in school. What ever the injury is, get it treated, get back in shape and be ready for draft workouts. 

War Damn Chuma. 

9 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Thoughts?

Too early to think about that. Just wish the best for him. 

7 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Thoughts?

I think you're right, but I certainly can't feel much joy from it.

But if it's the sort of injury I suspect - one that will require a good bit of rehab time - I would imagine that coming back would be the best thing for him and his future. 

(But I know squat about the NBA and their willingness to hire someone in Okeke's situation.)

Archived