Chuma Okeke draft discussion

I will say, we had this discussion a few weeks ago. Cole predicted first round. I thought he needed 3-5 strong games in the post season to get there ( in my novice opinion). I was convinced last night in the first half that Chuma was done with college after this run. I just hope he’s not set back from what he’s earned. I don’t expect to see him back in this tournament. I would love to see him back next year but that’s not what all these prayers from our fan base are asking for. 

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This situation is exactly why I was adamant he should come out now. The way he's playing? This is how good he is and just because untrained people doubted his ability best believe nba people saw it.....this fake have to prove yourself by being a 20 plus scorer is make believe, I don't even know where it came from. Unfortunately now if there is a check against him now it will be this knee injury.....But it's not over for him

21 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

He’s a clear NBA talent, but if he has significant rehab, does a team draft him this year? If he has to rehab, is he better positioned by returning?

If it's an acl/mcl it would be best to go through that with a NBA team but will somebody roll the dice on him is the question really

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

If it's an acl/mcl it would be best to go through that with a NBA team but will somebody roll the dice on him is the question really

With just 2 rounds, do they risk it?

2 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

No idea. But I’d guess he’d be rehabbing well into next season. Another year of classes toward a degree and a chance to play the later part of the season as a chance to show you recovery. I don’t really know. 

48 minutes ago, cole256 said:

This situation is exactly why I was adamant he should come out now. The way he's playing? This is how good he is and just because untrained people doubted his ability best believe nba people saw it.....this fake have to prove yourself by being a 20 plus scorer is make believe, I don't even know where it came from. Unfortunately now if there is a check against him now it will be this knee injury.....But it's not over for him

Yeah, it’s sad that this might have taken away his chance to get a first round shot this year! I think you may be right about rehabilitation would be better by an NBA program, but do you think it hurts his draft status dramatically enough to keep him here another year Cole? How far would he drop?

i don't care if he never takes another shot for AU, i just want that knee to be fixed so he can do what he loves and get paid.....he is a huge reason for AU  having a serious basketball program and seems like a great kid

18 minutes ago, toddc said:

Yeah, it’s sad that this might have taken away his chance to get a first round shot this year! I think you may be right about rehabilitation would be better by an NBA program, but do you think it hurts his draft status dramatically enough to keep him here another year Cole? How far would he drop?

I was estimating him being low first round so I don't know for sure of course but if he dropped I would think to 2nd round but once again that's just my opinion

Has any other tournament-caliber program suffered even one serious injury like this down the stretch, over the past two years? It's unbelievable that we've had it happen two years in a row, to critical starters. 

39 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

If they liked him enough. With a low pick he would be a guy that actually makes sense to risk. But at the same time when you use a first round pick you'd like for them to show promise the same year you draft......so I don't know. If somebody did risk it I would think it would have to be a team that's already good

1 minute ago, Sani-Freeze said:

Has any other tournament-caliber program suffered even one serious injury like this down the stretch, over the past two years? It's unbelievable that we've had it happen two years in a row, to critical starters. 

I don't know about down the stretch but vandy and Oregon suffered injuries to their most talented guys this year. I mean program changing talents. 

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

If they liked him enough. With a low pick he would be a guy that actually makes sense to risk. But at the same time when you use a first round pick you'd like for them to show promise the same year you draft......so I don't know. If somebody did risk it I would think it would have to be a team that's already good

Is he better off coming back to work toward a 1st round pick?

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I don't know about down the stretch but vandy and Oregon suffered injuries to their most talented guys this year. I mean program changing talents. 

True. I just can't shake that old indian burial ground feeling, even at arguably the highest point in our program's history. Really bummed for Chuma.  

6 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Is he better off coming back to work toward a 1st round pick?

I don't think so because you know you can come back but it really take that year after you come back when you're REALLY back. But I just think the quicker he can get started the better.....But having some type of guarantee is optimal

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I don't think so because you know you can come back but it really take that year after you come back when you're REALLY back. But I just think the quicker he can get started the better.....But having some type of guarantee is optimal

Chuma was definitely the best player on the court last night. He has that talent and the scouts see it. I agree he would be better off with an NBA team and depending on the severity of his injury, that will determine where he lands in the draft.

i have been sitting here all day waiting on a report from him....i've been all over every AU message board that i belong to, and a couple that i don't....the only info i found was on the bogga getta that was locked and the headed said "ESPN reports no damage"....now, take that with a grain or a box of salt, i don't know......thats all of the info i could find and i don't even know if it even pertains to chuma

15 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

i have been sitting here all day waiting on a report from him....i've been all over every AU message board that i belong to, and a couple that i don't....the only info i found was on the bogga getta that was locked and the headed said "ESPN reports no damage"....now, take that with a grain or a box of salt, i don't know......thats all of the info i could find and i don't even know if it even pertains to chuma

The x rays they did at the arena last night showed no bone damage. Won’t know anything about his acl or other ligaments until they discuss his mri though

The guarantee is the thing that makes this a little dubious to me. First round guys are assured a two year deal. Most second round guys get two year guaranteed deals these days anyway, but the teams don’t have to give them that. If I’m Chuma, I think I’d want some guarantee that the team is committed to me for 2 years, so that a setback won’t get him cut. 

Before the injury, it seemed a no-brainer that he should go (any personal reasons for returning notwithstanding). Now, it’s a little less clear to me. If he’s still a projected first rounder, he should go. If he falls to the second, I think he’ll need to be really careful with the terms of his deal.

Didn’t they pass a rule that says if you don’t get drafted, you can return to school?   If so and I were giving him advice , I would say return and be a sure fire 1st round next year.   AU has the best doctor out there and a rehab center second to none.   He would be back playing, depending on severity of course, by January 2020 ready to go.   Carry the team into ncaa tournament and set the stage for high 1st round pick 

49 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

I likey.

CBP can play the “our best player wont play “ game UK played against UH

Everyone saying nba rehab would be better than Dr. Andrews overseeing his rehab?  Y’all gotta explain that to me.

not sure the rules but the ncaa would benefit college b-ball game if these kids could go through the draft (obviously would need to have rules regarding agents, benefits and advance money) then come back to college if they choose.

i think they should set up this possibility for football as well.  Provide some safety nets for these kids.

15 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Everyone saying nba rehab would be better than Dr. Andrews overseeing his rehab?  Y’all gotta explain that to me.

not sure the rules but the ncaa would benefit college b-ball game if these kids could go through the draft (obviously would need to have rules regarding agents, benefits and advance money) then come back to college if they choose.

i think they should set up this possibility for football as well.  Provide some safety nets for these kids.

NBA rehab > college rehab because he will be a millionaire while rehabbing rather than be a college student while rehabbing. 

I just feel sick for him. His life was going to be changed in 3 months and this happens to him. I'm still stunned by it to be honest

17 hours ago, AUGoo said:

I likey.

CBP can play the “our best player wont play “ game UK played against UH

apparently, that post was concerning the x-ray that showed no bone damage....it was a locked thread and behind a paywall,too.....everybody knew that there was going to be damage of some kind

15 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

There is no explaining it because it's wrong. If successful rehab is the objective, he's better off with Dr. Andrews at Auburn.

If the objective is having plenty of cash while going through rehab, then that's a different story.

Archived