NCAA tourney thread

gravejd

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

anybody else getting nervous beside me?......i used to get keyed up for football like this ( pre-malzahn) but an apathetic type malaise has set in concerning that, but basketball is another thing all together....i woke up a little before 2 am friday morning and was not able to go back to sleep because i was replaying the NMSU game over in my head....after that game on thursday, i was actually shaking for a long time.....

today is a BIG game!.....its big for the program, for BP and for us fans....if we can pull this off ona national stage, we become a legitimate basketball power....not like kentucky or duke or UNC, but a program that has to be placed into any national conversation....i have to say that watching BP build the program wa both fun and frustrating, but right now its not fun....i'm all about winning and i hate to lose,even at my age......losing so much in football has conditioned me to accept the fact that we are only going to be an "above average" program, but basketball has excited me in that it offers a good chance of being a championship program....its not based so much on physical ability as it is on being skilled in different areas.....a 5'10, 170 lb player is not going to run over a DT, but a 5'10 PG can sink a 22' jumpshot or steal an inbounds pass for a layup....i now embrace AU basketball so much that i didn't even realize that spring training had started

28 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Waters took 3 maybe 4 steps on that layup

KY is one of the blue bloods.  They can get away with things other teams can't.  That is what scares me about playing Kansas, another of the blue bloods. 

Wofford has gone ice cold from the field.   KY extending the lead. 

1 hour ago, doverstutts said:

anybody else getting nervous beside me?......i used to get keyed up for football like this ( pre-malzahn) but an apathetic type malaise has set in concerning that, but basketball is another thing all together....i woke up a little before 2 am friday morning and was not able to go back to sleep because i was replaying the NMSU game over in my head....after that game on thursday, i was actually shaking for a long time.....

today is a BIG game!.....its big for the program, for BP and for us fans....if we can pull this off ona national stage, we become a legitimate basketball power....not like kentucky or duke or UNC, but a program that has to be placed into any national conversation....i have to say that watching BP build the program wa both fun and frustrating, but right now its not fun....i'm all about winning and i hate to lose,even at my age......losing so much in football has conditioned me to accept the fact that we are only going to be an "above average" program, but basketball has excited me in that it offers a good chance of being a championship program....its not based so much on physical ability as it is on being skilled in different areas.....a 5'10, 170 lb player is not going to run over a DT, but a 5'10 PG can sink a 22' jumpshot or steal an inbounds pass for a layup....i now embrace AU basketball so much that i didn't even realize that spring training had started

Who knows when we will be in this position again, enjoy it and War Eagle. 

22 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

Cant believe it, but man these refs are totally pro-wofford. 

Are you watching the same game I am?  

Don't think Ja is going to be enough for Murray State tonight. FSU is just so much better everywhere else. 

These teams depending on one key player just don't have enough firepower to beat the big guys.....depth and talent usually win out.  Felt bad for Wofford's gunner....o for 12 from the field today.....just a couple of his shots going down would have made a big difference.   Same thing with Murray State....Morant is great but can't do it alone and is pressing too much. 

Just now, gr82b4au said:

Sec 2-1 

no upsets so far today. Every top seed has won. 

Yep. All the higher seeds are taking care of business. I'm hoping Kansas will be the exception.

3 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

We’re gonna be making the tourney every year from here on out as long as Bruce is here

A nice sentiment, but next year's team will feature a crop of high school kids. Harper, Brown & Dunbar graduate, Wiley may or may not be back (with all his injuries), McLemore may leave if CBP will not let him play 3. And somebody might decide to pull a Mustapha and transfer due to brain fart. Whatever, there will be a lot of young and inexperienced players.

CBP is a terrific motivator and a good coach, so as far as next year's NCAA prospects, I'd put Auburn in the "maybe hope so" category instead of the "questionable" category.

2 minutes ago, AURex said:

A nice sentiment, but next year's team will feature a crop of high school kids. Harper, Brown & Dunbar graduate, Wiley may or may not be back (with all his injuries), McLemore may leave if CBP will not let him play 3. And somebody might decide to pull a Mustapha and transfer due to brain fart. Whatever, there will be a lot of young and inexperienced players.

CBP is a terrific motivator and a good coach, so as far as next year's NCAA prospects, I'd put Auburn in the "maybe hope so" category instead of the "questionable" category.

Harper is a junior btw. Danjel may be back along with samir, jvon and possibly okeke. Spencer, Brown and Dunbar are the grads. Not saying we should expect the tourney every year, but it might not be a stretch to say we should be making some noise.

26 minutes ago, AURex said:

I'm sorry but if we don't make the tourney next year I would be very, very disappointed. Our recruiting class is #11 in the country so the freshman that we have coming in should be upgrades talent wise. And if Wiley and Purifoy stay and the very outside chance that Okeke comes back ... yeah, we should make the tourney. Also, I haven't heard that McLemore was upset and wanting to leave ... is that something that's been discussed?

Archived