Hardest job in America

bigbird

15 minutes ago, keesler said:

Most times it's a crap shoot, and Auburn isn't willing to take a risk by replacing a good coach like Gus.  At the same time, the fan base (at least myself) are tired of the status quo with Gus averaging 3-4 losses a year while he too often puts a product on the field that looks unprepared and ill equipped in a few games every dang year.

I feel like some fans are ok with lowering expectations because we are currently where we've always been historically.  That way of thinking is sometimes used as a crutch by fans and they seem ok with those lowered expectations while they make excuses for the team not excelling.

There's always a risk when a program has a turnover, but history has also shown that new AU coaches do pretty good in their first couple of years on the job, they just have a hard time sustaining that level of success.

Just to be fair, Gus is averaging 4.5 losses a year, so he's closer to 5 loses a year. He's had more than 4 loses 4 out of his 6 years.

He's got to be better....

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Just to be fair, Gus is averaging 4.5 losses a year, so he's closer to 5 loses a year. He's had more than 4 loses 4 out of his 6 years.

He's got to be better....

I get the whole "The schedule is ridiculous" argument, but at some point you gotta win some football games. Heck we haven't had a season with fewer than four losses since his first. 

Gus was a typical JJ hire at that time.  Until he went after and got Myers, all his hires were meh.  After that he got Pearl and Thompson which were big time gets.  If JJ could go back I bet he would have went hard after Petersen and Patterson and Stoopes.  He just had no confidence in hiring coaches, just kissing butts for donations.

2 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Gus was a typical JJ hire at that time.  Until he went after and got Myers, all his hires were meh.  After that he got Pearl and Thompson which were big time gets.  If JJ could go back I bet he would have went hard after Petersen and Patterson and Stoopes.  He just had no confidence in hiring coaches, just kissing butts for donations.

No doubt JJ may have chosen to pursue the 3 you mentioned above if he had it to do all over again. 

BUT Jay Jacobs also hired Gene Chizik who brought home AU's first NC in +50 yrs.  Plus he hired Gus who has won 1 SECC and took AU to another NC (in his first year), plus Myers, plus Thompson, plus Pearl. 

So while JJ had his faults, he also did some very good things for AU Athletics.  The last 2 yrs of his term showed piss poor handling of the softball fiasco, and the Sunny Galloway ("You won't get a dime from Auburn Brotha") lawsuit along with the Persons 6 indictments (not AU's fault)  all but crippled everything JJ had accomplished in his past.

I don't know about you guys, but I am just ready for this season to start so we can get some new topics in here that haven't been discussed 100 times already.

11 minutes ago, keesler said:

No doubt JJ may have chosen to pursue the 3 you mentioned above if he had it to do all over again. 

BUT Jay Jacobs also hired Gene Chizik who brought home AU's first NC in +50 yrs.  Plus he hired Gus who has won 1 SECC and took AU to another NC (in his first year), plus Myers, plus Thompson, plus Pearl. 

So while JJ had his faults, he also did some very good things for AU Athletics.  The last 2 yrs of his term showed piss poor handling of the softball fiasco, and the Sunny Galloway ("You won't get a dime from Auburn Brotha") lawsuit along with the Persons 6 indictments (not AU's fault)  all but crippled everything JJ had accomplished in his past.

Let's not get carried away.  It was boosters who brought Myers and Bruce to Jacobs on silver platters. 

4 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Let's not get carried away.  It was boosters who brought Myers and Bruce to Jacobs on silver platters. 

You have to be fair.  Fault JJ for his failures, but also credit the man for his successes here at Auburn.

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

You have to be fair.  Fault JJ for his failures, but also credit the man for his successes here at Auburn.

There's nothing unfair about stating facts. 

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

I don't know about that.....back in 2012, KS would have been a worse choice IMO....no HC experience should have been an issue for example...JMO but no reason that he should have been considered as  the top candidate.   It was not even established that he ran the defense at bama….everyone figured it was Saban's defense and offense.     Likely as was suggested, many at AU knew who they wanted and the committee verified it for them and gave it some credibility.  Folks might not like the outcome but anyone who thinks something better might have resulted with a longer search are just guessing....considering how many were hired in 2012.

Just take a look at this list of coaches hired the same year as Gus.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/grading-college-footballs-head-coach-hires-2013\   

I think most would have described him as a hot-shot up and coming coordinator with deep SEC roots who gained experience under one of the best coaches in the business.  From rumors at the time, he was Dye's choice and a lot of people were behind the hire.  Now, there were also a lot of people that hated him b/c of the programs he's been associated with.  I'm not saying it was clear-cut who should have been hired at the time...but I can see where Smart might have figured out real quick that he was brought in to the interview room to lose.

6 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

There's nothing unfair about stating facts. 

Okay so who specifically placed those names on silver platters?  Were you in the meeting?  What information is out there that stated that as an outright fact?

11 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I'm only joking.................. but are these the same Boosters that were trying to get Bob Stoops to jump up on that silver platter only 6 months ago?

:drippingsarcasm7pa:

33 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I think most would have described him as a hot-shot up and coming coordinator with deep SEC roots who gained experience under one of the best coaches in the business.  From rumors at the time, he was Dye's choice and a lot of people were behind the hire.  Now, there were also a lot of people that hated him b/c of the programs he's been associated with.  I'm not saying it was clear-cut who should have been hired at the time...but I can see where Smart might have figured out real quick that he was brought in to the interview room to lose.

"Most"...which most?    three years experience doing what?  And maybe he was brought into the room to satisfy someone...Dye perhaps? who liked him....but without broad backing.   Just my recollection and opinion but if he had been hired by AU back then, the fan base would not have been happy....and he would probably be gone by now.   He can't beat Sabin now....and dang sure would not have been able to beat him back then. :dunno:

There are lots of ways to revise history if you are inclined to do that.  

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

"Most"...which most?    three years experience doing what?  And maybe he was brought into the room to satisfy someone...Dye perhaps? who liked him....but without broad backing.   Just my recollection and opinion but if he had been hired by AU back then, the fan base would not have been happy....and he would probably be gone by now.   He can't beat Sabin now....and dang sure would not have been able to beat him back then. :dunno:

There are lots of ways to revise history if you are inclined to do that.  

Simmer down big boy...find where I've re-written history.  He was a realistic-looking candidate at that time and one that many could pinpoint as having a bright future.  

There are certainly more challenges to the Auburn job than the uga job and I'm not sure he would have been successful at AU...but it wouldn't be because our fanbase wouldn't have embraced him...they would have, like all good fans.

1 hour ago, keesler said:

Agree, my point is that both Chizik and Gus were meh hirers for the fan base.  He didn’t get his swag until after that. They may have helped him get it though.

4 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Simmer down big boy...find where I've re-written history.  He was a realistic-looking candidate at that time and one that many could pinpoint as having a bright future.  

There are certainly more challenges to the Auburn job than the uga job and I'm not sure he would have been successful at AU...but it wouldn't be because our fanbase wouldn't have embraced him...they would have, like all good fans.

That's your opinion.....and like that girl who turned you down for the prom, she seems to get better looking every year...:)

But I do agree that the UGa job has far fewer challenges...beginning with the fact that their in state rival is barely competitive in recruiting. 

From what I remember:

Kirby wanted some information regarding NCAA allegations if I remember correctly and wanted to see everything in his interview. 

JJ said we can't tell you that because you're a rival coach and if we end up not hiring you we would be sabotaging ourselves. Kirby then walked.

Also, Kirby and Gus at the time were similar hires. Unproven with no HC experience/1 year at a G5 school. It just so happened in the handful of years Kirby remained an assistant while Gus was learning to be a HC Kirby surpassed Gus in learning how to actually be a HC. Which comes back to the Gus' pathetic coaching tree -- which is no fault of his own, but something he has to fight through and has certainly struggled with.

17 minutes ago, Tiger said:

From what I remember:

Kirby wanted some information regarding NCAA allegations if I remember correctly and wanted to see everything in his interview. 

JJ said we can't tell you that because you're a rival coach and if we end up hiring you we would be sabotaging ourselves. Kirby then walked.

What HC candidate wouldn't want to know if they were walking into a program with potential NCAA issues?

9 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

What HC candidate wouldn't want to know if they were walking into a program with potential NCAA issues?

Oops, just edited my post. I meant to say if we "didn't" end up hiring him.

You're right. Not saying he was wrong as both sides had reason to be cautious about giving/getting sensitive information like that. Unless Kirby was the true favorite of all candidates I could see why we didn't give him that info considering the damage that could be done on the recruiting trail. And of course on his side of things why the hell would he accept a job without knowing he was walking into a bad situation? 

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

From what I remember:

JJ said we can't tell you that because you're a rival coach and if we end up not hiring you we would be sabotaging ourselves. Kirby then walked.

Also, Kirby and Gus at the time were similar hires. Unproven with no HC experience/1 year at a G5 school. It just so happened in the handful of years Kirby remained an assistant while Gus was learning to be a HC Kirby surpassed Gus in learning how to actually be a HC. Which comes back to the Gus' pathetic coaching tree -- which is no fault of his own, but something he has to fight through and has certainly struggled with.

Disagree across the board...primarily on the relevant experience issue. ..which KS had very little in 2012...but I agree that he learned a lot in the five years he stayed at bama and by the time Uga got him he was more prepared.....but I am still not sold on him.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Disagree across the board...primarily on the relevant experience issue. ..which KS had very little in 2012...but I agree that he learned a lot in the five years he stayed at bama and by the time Uga got him he was more prepared.....but I am still not sold on him.

Gus had a whopping 10 more months of HC experience and a world's less worth of experience in college than Kirby at that time. Nothing to disagree with on that. It's fact. 

If you're not sold on Kirby this far into his tenure while he's been handing us Ls all but once in that time frame (on the field and in living rooms) and yet you're sold on Gus whom you defend like family then we just aren't going to agree on much.

Kirby arrived at UGA far more prepared to be a HC than Gus is today. There are reasons for that, some outside of Gus' control, but that doesn't change the validity of it. 

Kirby's floor has been 8 wins. 

Gus' sweet spot is 8 wins.

Edit: not saying Kirby had some wealth of experience as HC. But the difference in experience between him and Gus at the time was pretty stark when you look at job history. One was HC for 1 season at a G5 school another has been working for big time programs for years. Kirby had been at 4 major programs as an assistant and the NFL by the time Gus made the transition from HS to college. 

7 hours ago, auburnphan said:

it is not fair to call jj's raising money kissing butt. i am willing to bet he changed a lot of lives for the better doing what he did. and to be fair when gus was given the head coaching job most folks were ecstatic we got him at the time. your anger should be towards those that gave gus the big money with a huge buyout or we probably have a different head coach today.

13 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

it is not fair to call jj's raising money kissing butt. i am willing to bet he changed a lot of lives for the better doing what he did. and to be fair when gus was given the head coaching job most folks were ecstatic we got him at the time. your anger should be towards those that gave gus the big money with a huge buyout or we probably have a different head coach today.

I've said time and again that it's much or more Jacobs' and Leath's fault as it is Gus' fault that he is still here marching towards 8-5 once again. 

36 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Gus had a whopping 10 more months of HC experience and a world's less worth of experience in college than Kirby at that time. Nothing to disagree with on that. It's fact. 

If you're not sold on Kirby this far into his tenure while he's been handing us Ls all but once in that time frame (on the field and in living rooms) and yet you're sold on Gus whom you defend like family then we just aren't going to agree on much.

Kirby arrived at UGA far more prepared to be a HC than Gus is today. There are reasons for that, some outside of Gus' control, but that doesn't change the validity of it. 

Kirby's floor has been 8 wins. 

Gus' sweet spot is 8 wins.

Edit: not saying Kirby had some wealth of experience as HC. But the difference in experience between him and Gus at the time was pretty stark when you look at job history. One was HC for 1 season at a G5 school another has been working for big time programs for years. Kirby had been at 4 major programs as an assistant and the NFL by the time Gus made the transition from HS to college. 

Gus and Kirby are apples to oranges coaches without even getting to experience. Gus is tied to an offensive philosophy, has written a book on his offense, and his seat gets warm every time his offense is unsuccessful. Kirby is tied to defense and is more comfortable with the CEO role. His seat is relatively safe  if the offense doesn’t perform well. 

41 minutes ago, Tiger said:

But the difference in experience between him and Gus at the time was pretty stark when you look at job history. One was HC for 1 season at a G5 school another has been working for big time programs for years

So Gus only worked at Tulsa and Arkansas state and didn’t work at Auburn or Arkansas as an assistant?

16 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

So Gus only worked at Tulsa and Arkansas state and didn’t work at Auburn or Arkansas as an assistant?

kTJ6XR9.png

mPiTOPJ.png

7 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I've said time and again that it's much or more Jacobs' and Leath's fault as it is Gus' fault that he is still here marching towards 8-5 once again. 

i blame leath. jj made what was a reasonable hire back then and folks were excited. it is almost like the 2013 game for the natty shook him or something to get so close and lose with just a few seconds on the clock. i think he lost his way and struggled. personally i will never diss gus because he helped us get one natty and came real close on another. but leath is the cat that messed things up. anyway i want to see the gus that whip the crackers out of bama and ga. it is in him somewhere. i also realize no one is willing to wait forever for him to get it together. most coaches now would use auburn like boom to tread water until something better came along. at least i know gus loves auburn and we would be better off if he would just get it together. but i also understand people will only wait so long.

Archived