Hardest job in America

bigbird

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

I don't know about Jeff, but I will wade in if that is alright.  I do think Gus is overly criticized.  I also think many on here are fair in their criticism because they look at things in a neutral light.  Examples of those posters would be DAG, Bird, and you.  So those posts carry more weight because you are also not afraid to complement when earned.  There are others on here that have no other purpose than to vent and bash on here.  I am even okay with that which is why I have not posted on the football side much lately, but what frustrates me is when those people on here do not give credit when due and downplay it.  I raised this question to a poster on this thread just yesterday with Jay Jacobs and his involvement with hiring Pearl and Thompson.  They would not give him credit saying those two coaches were given to Jacobs and he did not deserve the credit.  When I asked for reasoning behind this, their response was this was a fact.  When I probed further on how this was a fact I received no explanation.  It has to get tiring after a while to go on every thread and find a way to make it about Gus.  I would not be surprised when I make my annual hype video thread next week someone will try to complain that there is no point in watching the videos because Gus is still the head coach (I will police this and make a rule not to allow this like I normally do to combat that).

To your second question I believe Gus does have what it takes to bring us what we desire.  He has done this before.  Sometimes fans can be short-minded on accomplishments in general for all sports, inside or outside of Auburn, college or pros.  One thing I have noticed is once Gus finally realizes a decision is the correct one, he will adapt to it.  A key example was when he let Steele have full control of his defense.  Apparently Gus is now letting Grimes do his thing in recruiting.  This season will be the catalyst however for Malzahn.  This offense will be solely his to run, and he will either succeed his way or go down down swinging his way.  That is why I am just ready for the season to start so these questions can be answered on the field.

And for the record I do understand why this topic has been discussed to oblivion.  You have been on here a while to know at this time of the year there isn't much to talk about so divisive topics like this are brought up.  At the beginning of the year last year another topic was Carlton Davis sitting out the bowl game.  It happens, so no hard feelings, but it does get tiresome.  I hope that makes sense, and with all the respect in the world.

me.gif

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Good post. Thanks for replying. I can understand your viewpoint and can see how posts with the intent to bash just to bash can get tiresome. The JJ/Pearl/Thompson thing for example. That is annoying and gives us that aren't happy with Gus (or xAD JJ) but without the trolling and use data and trends to formulate and articulate our opinions a bad name (to some) by association.  For those that have been on here long enough, we can decipher the noise and see that you aren't being painted with the same brush.  McLoofus is another person I would group with you as well.  Can't believe I forgot about him.

You bring up good points about trusting Gus to get back to his old self. I respect your opinion as we've seen him do it before. To me, however, I've just been "burned" enough. It was hard for me to let go of my hope for Gus and those good times but eventually I cracked during LSU 2017, got back on board during Amen Corner, and then off again for the last time after making the remedial mistake of not trying to change the gameplan from a few weeks prior. That plus him showing, yet again, that he did not develop proper RB depth by giving guys reps in games. But that's been discussed non-stop so I'll stop there. Which comes back to your point about the off-season not giving us much to talk about other than the previous year which we did not do so well, and the Purdue game helped a little bit for the first few months of the off-season but not a whole lot. I really think the quality and mood of the board would improve if our record does (duhhh). I can understand how it gets tiresome just as our coach being perennially on the hot seat is tiresome.  Those are good points as well which is why I can understand the frustration and have not jumped in unless a comment was egregious.  

Also, hey if he does manage to turn it around and learn from mistakes and find a way to bring some sustained success (which to be frank doesn't look too promising considering how our OL will look like next year), I'll be the first to say he's the man and we should keep him just like I did during 2017 when Arky came calling. But he reverted back to his old self of being predictable etc so now here we are. And the talking points won't change until we see some game action unfortunately...it's going to be a long road to late August.  I do believe we will see the fun offense from yesteryear this season.  And this weekend we are hosting 5 elite offensive linemen, at least one of which WDE said we are in a very good position with.  Should be an interesting weekend!

Can't wait to see your hype video!  I almost posted it today but I have to sort through more videos!  I have a specific ranking style before they can be posted on the forum.  They have to pass certain criteria such as: Is the video just a slideshow of photos?  Unless it is a montage of many different seasons, do they highlight players that have graduated?  I don't want to be reminded that I will never seem them play under Jordan-Hare's lights again.  What song is playing in the background?  Do the big hits and catches line up with the drops in the songs?  Since I am a connoisseur in hype videos, I have a very fine pallet.  And Auburn set the bar pretty high last year with the "Tick Tock" video.  Lucky with that video you can rewatch it because it does not display a certain vintage, or season like the tunnel video does.

giphy.gif

27 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

me.gif

giphy (1).gif

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Image result for fight gif

Just be forewarned, I'm fast like a Cheetah.

2x06-The-Fight-Animated-gif-the-office-8680324-325-188.gif

On 5/22/2019 at 8:02 AM, GwillMac6 said:

Thank you for always managing to want to cap the ceiling of our program and limit what we can accomplish. We are the biggest sleeping giant in the sport and there is no ceiling with the right coach. 

Hmmm. Please elaborate.

21 minutes ago, TheBeachTigger said:

Hmmm. Please elaborate.

Look at the other teams on this list. Almost all of them performed much better than us last year. If we're not the biggest sleeping giant, we're close.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2018/2/8/16990550/college-football-recruiting-rankings-2018-class

11 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I don't know about Jeff, but I will wade in if that is alright.  I do think Gus is overly criticized.  I also think many on here are fair in their criticism because they look at things in a neutral light.  Examples of those posters would be DAG, Bird, and you.  So those posts carry more weight because you are also not afraid to complement when earned.  There are others on here that have no other purpose than to vent and bash on here.  I am even okay with that which is why I have not posted on the football side much lately, but what frustrates me is when those people on here do not give credit when due and downplay it.  I raised this question to a poster on this thread just yesterday with Jay Jacobs and his involvement with hiring Pearl and Thompson.  They would not give him credit saying those two coaches were given to Jacobs and he did not deserve the credit.  When I asked for reasoning behind this, their response was this was a fact.  When I probed further on how this was a fact I received no explanation.  It has to get tiring after a while to go on every thread and find a way to make it about Gus.  I would not be surprised when I make my annual hype video thread next week someone will try to complain that there is no point in watching the videos because Gus is still the head coach (I will police this and make a rule not to allow this like I normally do to combat that).

To your second question I believe Gus does have what it takes to bring us what we desire.  He has done this before.  Sometimes fans can be short-minded on accomplishments in general for all sports, inside or outside of Auburn, college or pros.  One thing I have noticed is once Gus finally realizes a decision is the correct one, he will adapt to it.  A key example was when he let Steele have full control of his defense.  Apparently Gus is now letting Grimes do his thing in recruiting.  This season will be the catalyst however for Malzahn.  This offense will be solely his to run, and he will either succeed his way or go down down swinging his way.  That is why I am just ready for the season to start so these questions can be answered on the field.

And for the record I do understand why this topic has been discussed to oblivion.  You have been on here a while to know at this time of the year there isn't much to talk about so divisive topics like this are brought up.  At the beginning of the year last year another topic was Carlton Davis sitting out the bowl game.  It happens, so no hard feelings, but it does get tiresome.  I hope that makes sense, and with all the respect in the world.

giphy.gif

14 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Yet there are “Gus makes me miserable and if he wins next season I’m going to be even more miserable ” fans and they try to suck the positivity out of every thread possible. 

So yeah that gets old. 

i have literally NEVER heard or seen a SINGLE person say that. 

I have seen Gus could win 12 this year and unless he keeps up some consistency when he eventually bombs in 2020 he needs to be fired. 

I have seen (and said) that im apathetic about Auburn football lately. 

I have seen if Gus wins less than 9 this season he should be fired. 

I have seen people say no matter how well he does this year they want him gone.

I have said i expect us to start 2-4 and Gus to be fired after ANOTHER loss to LSU. 

Yet...I have literally NEVER seen ANYONE say they are miserable just because Gus is the coach.... And ive CERTAINLY NEVER seen anyone say that even if he wins it would make them more miserable. NOT ONCE.

I would have to request you link to ANYONE saying what you claimed... Otherwise the constant BS of Gus defenders making stuff up and exaggerating claims gets JUST AS OLD as the people who complain about the complaints. At least (most of) our complaining is based on fact and not made up claims, exaggerations, and flat out lies.

3 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

We have a fan claiming Gus ruined football for him. (Bless his  pretty pink heart)  And more fans that said they’d be mad if Gus did well this year because that would mean Gus would stay longer. You literally just defended a fan that begged if we lose to Oregon it would be in blowout fashion. I think you have seen it and know exactly what I’m talking about. 

And I’m not doing your homework for you. 

4 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I have seen Gus could win 12 this year and unless he keeps up some consistency when he eventually bombs in 2020 he needs to be fired. 

I have seen (and said) that im apathetic about Auburn football lately. 

I have seen if Gus wins less than 9 this season he should be fired. 

I have seen people say no matter how well he does this year they want him gone.

I have said i expect us to start 2-4 and Gus to be fired after ANOTHER loss to LSU. 

Yet...I have literally NEVER seen ANYONE say they are miserable just because Gus is the coach.... And ive CERTAINLY NEVER seen anyone say that even if he wins it would make them more miserable. NOT ONCE.

I would have to request you link to ANYONE saying what you claimed... Otherwise the constant BS of Gus defenders making stuff up and exaggerating claims gets JUST AS OLD as the people who complain about the complaints. At least (most of) our complaining is based on fact and not made up claims, exaggerations, and flat out lies.

There are fans who might not be as dramatic as this but who have stated that it could end up  hurting us in the long run, if Gus is here longer. That is why some fans were hoping we loss certain games last year in his firing. Not going to sit here and look for the past post (Starting CRNA school today, Yay!) but it was a huge thread and argument about it last season. 

5 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Just to tack on to what DAG said, there was a poster who did say that.  It was in a conversation with me about it about two months ago on the football forum side.  I don't want to mention names though. It started/revolved around saying Gus was one of the hated coaches in Auburn's history if that jogs your memory of the thread.  I am not sure if that thread is still up though.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

(Starting CRNA school today, Yay!) 

Good luck! 

tenor.gif

2 hours ago, DAG said:

22 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Good luck! 

tenor.gif

Beat me to it. 

Do the damn thing, DAG!

2 hours ago, DAG said:

That would put me to sleep.😔

On 5/30/2019 at 8:42 AM, keesler said:

50, you are one of the most positive posters on this board.  kudos!

Gus has known his tendencies for years.  It feels like Gus is constantly twisting and turning this team upside down forcing him to tell us all that he'll "turning this thing around."  He has acknowledged his deficiencies many times in the past few years, he has assured the fan base that things will improve. 

The fact of the matter has been that he is either so daft that he doesn't know how to change or else he's too stubborn to do so.  I'm going with the latter.

I agree 100% with you that we may as well hold on and get through at least 1-2 more seasons, at least until some of this exorbitant buyout dwindles down to an acceptable level.

Year     Salary        Buyout

2019     $6.8mm     $26.6 mm

2020      6.9mm       21.5mm

2021     7mm             16.2mm

2022     7.1mm          10.8mm

2023     7.2mm          5.5mm

My gosh that;s a lot of money!

Which one of these is" acceptable"?  Hard to imagine that even $5,500,000 is acceptable.

This is the bash JJ part we should be talking about.

3 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

My gosh that;s a lot of money!

Which one of these is" acceptable"?  Hard to imagine that even $5,500,000 is acceptable.

This is the bash JJ part we should be talking about.

You have to weight it against lost revenue from continuing to lose 5 games a year.

1 minute ago, dyehardfanAU said:

You have to weight it against lost revenue from continuing to lose 5 games a year.

I thought we were setting records with sports revenue!

3 hours ago, toddc said:

yeah...curious isn't it..?    must be very disappointing to the "bashers' out there....:dunno:

4 hours ago, toddc said:

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

yeah...curious isn't it..?    must be very disappointing to the "bashers' out there....:dunno:

So we've got plenty of cash for the buyout.  Cool.

15 hours ago, toddc said:

11 hours ago, AU64 said:

Jeez, 64. I thought you were a manly budget wiz?

Football revenue did in fact go up $2.2 million... for fiscal year 2017-2018. So the numbers you guys are gloating about were based off the same thing Gus's terrible contract was- 2 games in 2017- and only go through September 2018, before this last miserable football season even really began. Also, while revenue was up, profit was down. Way down. Guess what the #1 contributing factor was?

Auburn reported an operating excess of $7.8 million. It marks the fourth straight year the athletic department has been profitable after two years in the red, but also the least amount of profit during that stretch — the university made $9.2 million in 2014-15, $15.2 million in 2015-16 and $14.6 million in 2016-17.

That decrease in profit comes from an increase in total department expenses, which rose from $132.8 million during the 2016-17 fiscal year to $139.7 million in 2017-18.

The areas Auburn saw the biggest increase in spending were coaching salaries ($23.6 million to $26.2 million), support staff compensation ($25.3 million to $26.7 million) and team travel ($5.6 million to $7.3 million) — the football team made three of the farthest possible SEC road trips to Missouri, Arkansas and Texas A&M, and the men's basketball team played in the NCAA Tournament in San Diego, California.

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/auburn/2019/02/05/auburn-university-athletic-department-record-revenue-decrease-profit-2017-18-ncaa-finances-report/2777036002/

Let's see what the numbers are this September before we do any more gloating about what a windfall Gus is. And if you're going to talk about "sports" revenue, be sure to keep an eye on the men's basketball numbers. 

On 5/31/2019 at 5:42 AM, DAG said:

There are fans who might not be as dramatic as this but who have stated that it could end up  hurting us in the long run, if Gus is here longer. That is why some fans were hoping we loss certain games last year in his firing. Not going to sit here and look for the past post (Starting CRNA school today, Yay!) but it was a huge thread and argument about it last season. 

I can see it hurting Auburn in the long run.  Suppose he wins 10 this year saves his job and for the next 4 to 5 years he has 6 to 7 wins a year.  Then with heat on he wins 9 games saves his job and then reverts back to norm.  I dont think that can continue.

1 minute ago, Carnell said:

I can see it hurting Auburn in the long run.  Suppose he wins 10 this year saves his job and for the next 4 to 5 years he has 6 to 7 wins a year.  Then with heat on he wins 9 games saves his job and then reverts back to norm.  I dont think that can continue.

If he wins 10 this year and 6-7 in 2020 he's gone after 2020.

3 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

If he wins 10 this year and 6-7 in 2020 he's gone after 2020.

I agree. Would be much easier to fire him then and nobody could say we didn’t give Gus every chance to turn it around. Following the new contract (supported by two people, albeit) with firing the next season is when things look bad...

Apparently this author has never talked to an Auburn football fan.  That is the hardest voluntary job in America, hands down.

Archived