Gus On Playing Fast

aubiefifty

21 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Good article last week suggested missing on Kelly Bryant to give Joey & Nix a year of seasoning may have been the proverbial straw breaking camel's back. Having to pick from a rs & true frosh QB with THIS schedule in a year when something "special" is demanded? Tough row to hoe.

FWIW, I'm not real sure Gus made a huge effort to bring in Bryant. From everything I'm told Gatewood had made the next step and the team was behind him pretty much 100%. No need for Bryant.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

Gus isn't changing.  He has no desire to develop  an intermediate passing game or  utilize the  TE.   Nothing will change and neither will  the results.

You are 100% correct. He will not change. However- As much as it infuriates me in the games, as long as we win I could care less. Results... yearly we probably average an 8-4 team under Gus, yet we are also the only team other than Alabama to play in the sec championship since Gus was hired. Twice. 6 years - 2 seccg appearances. 33% of the time we are the sec west champion. The other 66% belongs to Alabama. Nobody else has made it. 

Yes he drives me crazy with the runs up the middle, yes he loses games he should win, and yes I think he is a better OC than HC - but his results are better than any other coach in this league not named saban. Of course I want consistency (like 10 wins a year), but would I trade the last 6 years with LSU or any other team in the west not named Alabama? No. For a Gus coached team , the “highs” are better than the highs of other good teams in the sec west, and the “lows” are worse than other good teams in the west. That is why most want him gone- the lows. Losing to teams like TN At HOME last year just don’t make sense al all. 

I just hope this team is one of his high moments. (Que the Cheech and Chong references)

22 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

FWIW, I'm not real sure Gus made a huge effort to bring in Bryant. From everything I'm told Gatewood had made the next step and the team was behind him pretty much 100%. No need for Bryant.

Not sure I buy that. He & an assistant coach made a last minute in home visit with KB right before he committed to Mizzou. If we weren't hard after him why go out of the way to make that last minute trip?

26 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I am very confident in what Gus to do with JG. In fact, I am willing to go as far as to say JG will be more impactful at QB than Bryant at the end of next year. I am all for eating the crow if I am wrong.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I am very confident in what Gus to do with JG. In fact, I am willing to go as far as to say JG will be more impactful at QB than Bryant at the end of next year. I am all for eating the crow if I am wrong.

Agree.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not sure I buy that. He & an assistant coach made a last minute in home visit with KB right before he committed to Mizzou. If we weren't hard after him why go out of the way to make that last minute trip?

Good question but I still don't think Gus pushed for Bryant that hard. If he got him, great, if not, great. Did not go the extra miles like he did for Stidham.

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Good question but I still don't think Gus pushed for Bryant that hard. If he got him, great, if not, great. Did not go the extra miles like he did for Stidham.

What do you mean? A late in home visit looks like going the extra mile to me. Genuinely curious.

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Is it possible that we really, seriously wanted him... to come in and compete for the job? I can see a situation where Gus wasn't excited about overall numbers- especially after being caught with his pants down in '15 and '16, and knowing that we would have been screwed in '17 and '18 with an injury to Stidham- but also wasn't ready to promise Bryant the starting job. I'm being exxxxxtra ignorant recruiting noob here. I have no clue. Just talking.

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Is it possible that we really, seriously wanted him... to come in and compete for the job? I can see a situation where Gus wasn't excited about overall numbers- especially after being caught with his pants down in '15 and '16, and knowing that we would have been screwed in '17 and '18 with an injury to Stidham- but also wasn't ready to promise Bryant the starting job. I'm being exxxxxtra ignorant recruiting noob here. I have no clue. Just talking.

Yes that's possible. I wasn't saying KB was being promised the job.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

I am starting to think this is what really swayed things.

14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I know you weren't. I'm just offering a hypothetical that satisfies both your understanding of the situation and WDE's.

That's what I do, E. I build bridges. I connect people.

38 minutes ago, ellitor said:

What do you mean? A late in home visit looks like going the extra mile to me. Genuinely curious.

Just don't think Gus was all in on Bryant. Really glad we didn't get Bryant myself. Think Gatewood is the man to get us over hump. He has won the locker room.

7 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Just don't think Gus was all in on Bryant. Really glad we didn't get Bryant myself. Think Gatewood is the man to get us over hump. He has won the locker room.

A lot of coaches can win with the solid QB play you'll get from Bryant...Gus isn't that kind of coach.  He needs a QB that can do something special for him to build an offense around.

1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

A lot of coaches can win with the solid QB play you'll get from Bryant...Gus isn't that kind of coach.  He needs a QB that can do something special for him to build an offense around.

Meyer and Mullen come to mind. 

And I mentioned it the other day, and some people laughed, but I wasn't really kidding. We already have a Kelly Bryant. He's a 37 year old retired baseball player. 

@WarDamnEagleWDE, I think I can speak for the whole forum on here when I ask this.  Do you think you have the time to create a thread on your thoughts on each position going into the year?  Your candid thoughts?  Ranging from the OL this year to the coaching, to your opinion on who starts key positions, etc.?  What to expect this year being different?  Much like we look to @ellitor on recruiting, people like me look to you and @bigbird on your knowledge inside the program on the ground.  I may be asking too much, but the answer is always "no" if you do not ask.

when defenses figured out how to stop Auburn, which became easier each year, we had no answer.

Everyone knows Auburn's playpage. Gus was at his best when he used all of the weapons, a different play makers touching the ball on each play.

5 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

when defenses figured out how to stop Auburn, which became easier each year, we had no answer.

Everyone knows Auburn's playpage. Gus was at his best when he used all of the weapons, a different play makers touching the ball on each play.

That is from Gus's high school days when he could call the same plays over over however in the SEC DCs change schemes and looks that Gus did not see in high school  and Gus  I am afraid is lost as to trying to solve the schemes.

9 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

If he can manage to run entire series with minimal substitution or play and player specific substitutions then we can be dangerous. As of now, his tendencies and player use is way too predictable for DCs at this level.

19 minutes ago, bigbird said:

If he can manage to run entire series with minimal substitution or play and player specific substitutions then we can be dangerous. As of now, his tendencies and player use is way too predictable for DCs at this level.

This is the key.  If we can get the players on the field to be versatile enough to do their job.  That includes WR that can run crisp routes and can stay in to block.  RBs that can block, see the hole and go out for pass.  This can make a team dangerous.  

21 minutes ago, bigbird said:

100%! I’m fine with the sinplicity of the offense, but the rotating of personnel and pegging specific role players to certain groupings really gave away certain plays that we were trying to setup as an explosive play. 

The one thing I enjoyed a lot in 2017 was how well designed our screen game was. We got really creative with our WR/RB screens and had some great plays built off those looks too. 

I am hoping that we see Joiner get used more in the H Back role to give us a very athletic option for throw back screens, wheel routes and run options. I can’t stop hyping myself for this season. If I get any more hyped, I may need to sit and watch full games from 2015.

25 minutes ago, Carnell said:

That is from Gus's high school days when he could call the same plays over over however in the SEC DCs change schemes and looks that Gus did not see in high school  and Gus  I am afraid is lost as to trying to solve the schemes.

He actually passed it quite a bit more in high school & at Tulsa than he has at AU. I think he fell in love with the run production of the 2010 & 2013 teams & has tried to force that same production since.

4 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

This is the key.  If we can get the players on the field to be versatile enough to do their job.  That includes WR that can run crisp routes and can stay in to block.  RBs that can block, see the hole and go out for pass.  This can make a team dangerous.  

We have players capable. Gus has just been trying to over sub to have the perfect play each play to beat the D.

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

From what I'm told Gus does plan on playing at a high tempo this year. Lets see what he does when there is some hip-cup's along the way with the O.

I suspect if things get rocky, we will see more effort to run the ball/establish the run. My god, if we can get the run game back in order... 

Archived