Gus On Playing Fast

aubiefifty

24 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He actually passed it quite a bit more in high school & at Tulsa than he has at AU. I think he fell in love with the run production of the 2010 & 2013 teams & has tried to force that same production since.

Had a 5k passer and a 4k passer at Tulsa. The drop in passing production from 2007 to 2008 was from less pass attempts for more rush attempts. Averaged roughly 80plays per game. I wish more full games from those Tulsa seasons were available. I did find a PowerPoint presentation he used at a coaching convention for his Tulsa offense. Was pretty cool to see honestly. Shows some of the progressions and reads the QB makes pre/post snap.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

100%! I’m fine with the sinplicity of the offense, but the rotating of personnel and pegging specific role players to certain groupings really gave away certain plays that we were trying to setup as an explosive play. 

The one thing I enjoyed a lot in 2017 was how well designed our screen game was. We got really creative with our WR/RB screens and had some great plays built off those looks too. 

I am hoping that we see Joiner get used more in the H Back role to give us a very athletic option for throw back screens, wheel routes and run options. I can’t stop hyping myself for this season. If I get any more hyped, I may need to sit and watch full games from 2015.

I think Schenker is going to have a big role, too. I think he might actually be the most prototypical TE/FB hybrid HB that we've had since Eric Smith. Unless Jay Jay Wilson just tears it up, which he might. I really do see potential for Joiner to give us a lot of what Fannin did and for Schenker and Wilson to give us a lot of what Eric Smith did, with Wilson TBD. If one or more of those guys can give us some help with blocking- which was, surprisingly, Chandler Cox's weak spot for most of his career- in addition to pass catching ability, then maybe Gus will unclench the sphincter a little bit and coach like he wants to score points and not like he's scared of spilling something on the carpet. 

Ugh. Just throw to the middle of the field, Coach. Please. 

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Just throw to the middle of the field, Coach. Please. 

I don’t think this is something you’re going to see, at least not in any increased rate. You’re gonna see a lot of attacking the interior line and stretching the defense laterally by attacking the perimeter. Then we will take our shots off play action or trick play. We just can’t miss those opportunities. We just need to take enough vertical shots to allow the run game to open up. Upping pace with increased execution is our only hope it seems.

1 hour ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

100%! I’m fine with the sinplicity of the offense, but the rotating of personnel and pegging specific role players to certain groupings really gave away certain plays that we were trying to setup as an explosive play. 

The one thing I enjoyed a lot in 2017 was how well designed our screen game was. We got really creative with our WR/RB screens and had some great plays built off those looks too. 

I am hoping that we see Joiner get used more in the H Back role to give us a very athletic option for throw back screens, wheel routes and run options. I can’t stop hyping myself for this season. If I get any more hyped, I may need to sit and watch full games from 2015.

Very much agree with this. One thing I couldn't stand though was when Devan was a rb and we would run the same hb pitch play everytime he came in and it would go for negative yards. Can't have boneheaded playmaking like that.

Am I wrong or does it feel like Gus has been talking about upping the tempo since like before the 2016 season? Put me in the camp of "I'll believe it when I see it." We all keep coming back to this topic hoping we'll get back to what made 2010, 2013, and the first 8 games of 2014 so darn fun and we keep getting let down. I'll never root against Gus, and by extension, Auburn, but at some point you need to do what you said you were going to do. There's nowhere else to hide or any more assistants to fire. He's gotta figure it out this year.

1 hour ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

I don’t think this is something you’re going to see, at least not in any increased rate. You’re gonna see a lot of attacking the interior line and stretching the defense laterally by attacking the perimeter. Then we will take our shots off play action or trick play. We just can’t miss those opportunities. We just need to take enough vertical shots to allow the run game to open up. Upping pace with increased execution is our only hope it seems.

BOOOOO! BOO THIS MAN!

You're probably right but it is so insanely stupid. An offensive philosophy that doesn't force the defense to defend the entire field is never going to be the best possible offensive philosophy. 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

He actually passed it quite a bit more in high school & at Tulsa than he has at AU. I think he fell in love with the run production of the 2010 & 2013 teams & has tried to force that same production since.

Whether he passed more in high school than he did in college does not make any difference in my scenario.  My point was that he has to recognize the defenses schemes and coverages that his opponents are running and call the appropriate play against.  The defenses schemes he came across in high school or even at Tulsa are not even close to what he has seen in the SEC so he is having a difficult time adjusting.

55 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

BOOOOO! BOO THIS MAN!

You're probably right but it is so insanely stupid. An offensive philosophy that doesn't force the defense to defend the entire field is never going to be the best possible offensive philosophy. 

I agree, but it’s not that we do not have plays that attack the middle of the field. We’ve seen them. The problem is we use them sparingly and usually out of necessity. 

We’ve seen what the best of Malzahns philosophy can achieve. Either way, it’s his show and he’s got 12 + games to define his career at Auburn. I’m just hoping for pace and less substitutions, I think other things will fall in place.

10 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

I agree, but it’s not that we do not have plays that attack the middle of the field. We’ve seen them. The problem is we use them sparingly and usually out of necessity. 

We’ve seen what the best of Malzahns philosophy can achieve. Either way, it’s his show and he’s got 12 + games to define his career at Auburn. I’m just hoping for pace and less substitutions, I think other things will fall in place.

Image result for solemn nod gif

2 hours ago, Carnell said:

Whether he passed more in high school than he did in college does not make any difference in my scenario.  My point was that he has to recognize the defenses schemes and coverages that his opponents are running and call the appropriate play against.  The defenses schemes he came across in high school or even at Tulsa are not even close to what he has seen in the SEC so he is having a difficult time adjusting.

And I don't think it has as much to do with the defenses as him slowing things down by subbing every play the last 4 years trying to obsessively get the perfect play on every play.

I think this is one reason that at least some of us who remain skeptical about Gus's intuitive play-calling abilities are glad that he has resumed play-calling duties. With one less cook in the kitchen, hopefully there will be less of a conversation about the play call between snaps. I don't know if this is a valid thought or not as I have never been on the Auburn headsets during a game. But no matter what you believe about who has been responsible for play calling the last few years, I feel like it is a safe assumption that it was a collaboration to a greater extent than it will be this season.

In short, maybe we will still call the wrong plays, but at least we will call them faster?

25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

In short, maybe we will still call the wrong plays, but at least we will call them faster?

As long as Gus stops subbing every play to try to get the perfect play every play. With all the changes he's made in his life the past 6 months I have some hope he may be willing to change that too.

33 minutes ago, ellitor said:

As long as Gus stops subbing every play to try to get the perfect play every play. With all the changes he's made in his life the past 6 months I have some hope he may be willing to change that too.

In his life? What do you mean by that?

20 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

In his life? What do you mean by that?

Watch his demeanor & looseness in recent interviews plus watch the first part of Ride For The Brand Chapter 3

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

By him calling the wrong plays faster, we shorten our time of possession and increase the time of possession of our opponent.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Watch his demeanor & looseness in recent interviews plus watch the first part of Ride For The Brand Chapter 3

And this quote:

“He’s been in the weight room when we down there for player run practices,” said senior DE Marlon Davidson. “He’s doing curls and stuff and I’m like ‘Man? Am I seeing this?’ He’s just different, he’s a different person now. Like Coach Malzahn in 2016 to 2019 is totally different.”

13 minutes ago, Carnell said:

By him calling the wrong plays faster, we shorten our time of possession and increase the time of possession of our opponent.

Yes. I know. 

7 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

And this quote:

“He’s been in the weight room when we down there for player run practices,” said senior DE Marlon Davidson. “He’s doing curls and stuff and I’m like ‘Man? Am I seeing this?’ He’s just different, he’s a different person now. Like Coach Malzahn in 2016 to 2019 is totally different.”

Maybe Kristi told him to lose the dad bod. 

Just now, WalkingCarpet said:

Maybe Kristi told him to lose the dad bod. 

It is so his players can continue to relate to him better.  To go along with him stating he wants to be more open with his guys in that episode:

"The season hasn’t started yet. But so far, Malzahn has stuck true to his word. He’s continued to work out. He’s been more open — with the players, at least. It’s clear that neither looks easy on the surface for him.

But in a season defined by self-preservation, these are necessary steps.

I think it’s just being more relationable to your players," Malzahn said “Trying to be honest, develop that relationship with our guys. ... It probably mores more easily than you think. Every team is different is different. Every situation is different.”

2 hours ago, Carnell said:

Which is that circular thought pattern that necessitates the need for the "perfect play" and the nail-biting paranoid playcalling paralysis.

When we meter our offense for time of possession, we inexcusably lose a lot of games. If all considerations are prioritized, time of possession is low on the list. Give me a ton of touchdowns and gassed/cramped up defensive tackles, even if it costs us 8 or 9 t.o.p. minutes. I'd like us to gash so hard that the t.o.p. evens out: because the other coach has to slow his team down.

3 hours ago, jAUSon said:

Which is that circular thought pattern that necessitates the need for the "perfect play" and the nail-biting paranoid playcalling paralysis.

When we meter our offense for time of possession, we inexcusably lose a lot of games. If all considerations are prioritized, time of possession is low on the list. Give me a ton of touchdowns and gassed/cramped up defensive tackles, even if it costs us 8 or 9 t.o.p. minutes. I'd like us to gash so hard that the t.o.p. evens out: because the other coach has to slow his team down.

You are right about the time of possession.  Gus said the same thing he said with the hurry up no huddle offense you ignore time of possession and focus on # of plays, defensive statistics is not really relevant (in other words if you score fast and continually put your defense on the field it does not matter.  However, in reality there is something forcing him to slow down the pace because he didnt voluntarily slow it down himself.

The opposing DCs now pre snap show movement, disguise coverages and blocking assignments.  To move faster Gus is either going to have to pick this faster to be able to move faster or either he is going to have to change and slow it down thus focusing on time of possession.  I have my doubts about Gus' ability to change and adopt.

On 7/22/2019 at 8:14 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

What made Gus's uptempo offense so deadly in 2013 was Nick Marshall running it. Kid was elite. Plus the "new" factor of that offense. Moving forward offenses like the 2013 have to be move multiple. Can't just line up and run a read offense like we did in 2013 anymore. The good DC can shut them down pretty effectivly now. See if Gus can make that transition this year.

I'd like to see the 2017 A&M, uga and bama O this year with some of the 2013 thrown in with Gatewood running it. IMO.

This is where Cam and Nick are gettin nowhere worth the credit on how good they were.  Gus Malzahn's Ultra Vanilla Offense looked amazing  when you had two  different QBs that could take a busted play and turn it into a first  down,or  a TD. 

So does is Gus"Developing Gatewood?" or can Gatewood just flat out play?  I have always  thought that Gatewood would win the starting job.  He is the type of QB that Gus has won with because  because he is soooooo dynamic.

I asked 2+ years ago, does Stidham buy Gus a couple of more years?  Looks like Stidham did.   I  am calling out @wardamneaglewde ! Is Gatewood potentially  buying Gus  another year? Or will Gus finally turn the corner?

IMO Nix althoughhas the  potential  to  be great

10 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

So does is Gus"Developing Gatewood?" or can Gatewood just flat out play?  I have always  thought that Gatewood would win the starting job.  He is the type of QB that Gus has won with because  because he is soooooo dynamic.

If Joey plays well at QB he will damn sure be developed by this staff. He was nowhere near developed when he got here.

9 hours ago, Carnell said:

You are right about the time of possession.  Gus said the same thing he said with the hurry up no huddle offense you ignore time of possession and focus on # of plays, defensive statistics is not really relevant (in other words if you score fast and continually put your defense on the field it does not matter.  However, in reality there is something forcing him to slow down the pace because he didnt voluntarily slow it down himself.

The opposing DCs now pre snap show movement, disguise coverages and blocking assignments.  To move faster Gus is either going to have to pick this faster to be able to move faster or either he is going to have to change and slow it down thus focusing on time of possession.  I have my doubts about Gus' ability to change and adopt.

I think the game has evolved to where people can't play that mind-numbingly fast overall, at least not against good teams. Against LSU, MSU and Clemson, Bama couldnt put up plays at all really. Clemson and LSU's defensive secondary play, MSU's relentless front seven pressure, you just werent able to play fast, in fact they were dirt slow imo. I think if it was like the 2013 FSU and Bama games where we're playing crazy fast for 60% of the game and just not playing stupid as hell (offensively) for the rest of it, thatd be a preferred pace.

On 7/22/2019 at 1:42 PM, McLoofus said:

BOOOOO! BOO THIS MAN!

Well Gus would disagree!

Archived