2019 Women’s Soccer

jared52

The ladies kicked off the exhibition portion of the season with a 1-0 victory at Kennesaw State. Jessie Gerow got the lone goal at the end of the second period (they played 3 30min periods). Not much info on the game. Looking forward to seeing the team grow this year. I don’t expect a huge season, but there is talent there to make things interesting. The coaches picked AU to finish 7th in the league, but I’m hoping they exceed that prediction. 

AU closed out the exhibition portion of the schedule at home vs Mercer who was no threat. AU won 3-0. Good that both exhibitions were clean sheets. Now AU starts the season for real on the road at South Florida. I hope there’s a stream of the game since there are so many new faces this season.

AU kicking off the season in Tampa taking on USF. AU with a very timid start cost them a goal 4’ in for UCF. When AU started pressuring and pushing up, it was a different game. Took them 20 minutes to do it but they found the back of the net on a beautifully delivered corner that found the head of Jessie Gerow and then the back of the net. 

1-1 at the half

Didn’t get to watch the second half but AU falls on a USF goal in the 90th minute. From what I saw, AU really struggles with making good passes in the middle of the field and lacks a true ST to put pressure in the final third and hold up play. Still some talent out there, just have to take care of things at home. 

• 2 weeks later...

Auburn facing Syracuse at home, trying to even the record @ 2-2-0. I miss seeing LeBeau in goal.  Auburn head a really good chance in the box off a set piece but we hit the ball against the goalie's head from short range, keeping the ball out. 

I missed the first goal, but Bri Folds with the left footed shot off the cross bar into the net.  Her third of year and 2-0 Auburn! 20 mins remain

Oh Locksley for Auburn is the daughter of the former Alabama coach that is now the Maryland head football coach. Now they don't have to root against each other lol

Gerow with a breakaway with a defender closing in, fires a great shot but excellent save by keeper. 9 to go 

Auburn going for the long pass over the top at the end of the game and having some successful runs. 

10 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Gerow with a breakaway with a defender closing in, fires a great shot but excellent save by keeper. 9 to go 

I think she was too surprised that she wasn’t offside there. 

Auburn wins 2-0!

Ang Daly ripped a shot towards the bottom left corner as time was expiring but the goalie made an unbelievable save!

Just now, jared52 said:

I think she was too surprised that she wasn’t offside there. 

Agree.  

Auburn attacked all 2nd half especially.  Resulted in 2 goals and some near misses. Encouraging to see some build on offense. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://auburntigers.com/news/2019/9/19/soccer-whitaker-scores-game-winner-as-auburn-defeats-kentucky.aspx?path=wsoc

LEXINGTON, Ky. – Hailey Whitaker scored the game-winning goal midway through the second overtime period as Auburn defeated Kentucky, 2-1, to open Southeastern Conference play Thursday night.

The Tigers, who opened league action with a win for the fourth straight season, fell into a 1-0 hole four minutes into the contest but battled back to force overtime and ultimately win it on Whitaker's golden goal.

"It was really exciting," Whitaker said. "We really faced adversity so we just had to grit it out, work our hardest and put our best effort in. That's what we did in the second half, and it showed."

Jessie Gerow also got on the scoreboard for the Tigers as her goal in the 81st minute evened the match and sent it to overtime. Gerow added an assist to record a career-high three points. Bri Folds and Olivia Dedels also pitched in with an assist. The point for Dedels was the first of her career.

"Any road win in this league is really hard to come by," head coach Karen Hoppa said. "I was super proud of the team and the perseverance they showed. We grew into the game and got better and better as the game went on.

"I think the Samford game taught us that we could battle back," Hoppa added. "It's a testament to our character, and that's something we're going to have to build on as we grow into SEC play."

Kentucky (5-2-2, 0-1-0 SEC) started the scoring with a goal of a corner kick at the 4:01 mark, but Auburn (4-3-1, 1-0-0 SEC) held the Wildcats scoreless in the final 100 minutes of action.  

Trailing 1-0 with less than 10 minutes remaining, Gerow found herself on the receiving end of a free kick from Folds and put a header into the back of the net to tie the contest. It was Gerow's third goal of the season.

After neither team scored in the first overtime period, Whitaker ran down a headed flick from Gerow and hit a left-footed strike that bent inside the left post to lift the Tigers to the win. Whitaker's game-winner was her second of the season and third of her career.

"Hailey is a goal scorer," Hoppa said. "Goal scorers have to show up in the big moments, and Hailey did that in overtime."

Auburn outshot Kentucky, 12-10, in the contest, and each team put three shots on frame.

Seventeen Tigers ultimately saw action in the match, including four who played all 105 minutes.

The Tigers conclude non-conference play with a contest at Old Dominion Sunday at 2:30 p.m. CT.

Finally getting to watch a game, or at least the second half of one. AU up 1-0 on #18 UT. Had a couple of very good chances which they were unable to finish and UT just had a golden opportunity but the header was wide. UT is controlling the ball this half too but AU hanging on right now.

20’ to go. 

15’ to go and AU is really parking the bus right now. Not my favorite tactic considering AU has some speed up front. They are without Bri Folds tonight so looking for big help from Daly to hold the middle of the field. 

Archived