I want Mario Cristobal

SKIPPER_01

5 hours ago, SKIPPER_01 said:

I said it. 

Mario Cristobal. Head Coach. Football. Auburn University.

1. Played and coached Oline.

2. Has head coaching experience. 5 yrs at FIU (built them from nothing). Plus 2 yrs at Oregon.

3. Coached 4 yrs for Saban at bama

4. Great recruiter. Has spent career recruiting Florida and Alabama.

If we fire Gus....we should hire Cristobal. All the other choices suck.

What is there in this guy's coaching record that makes people think he'll be great at Auburn? He's 17-6 in 2+ years at Oregon, 27-47 in six years at FIU, and that includes a 3-9 record in his sixth and last year there. What did he build in six years there? https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/mario-cristobal-1.html

I'll admit his name has a cool sounding ring to it. Sadly, repeating the name over and over won't improve that coaching record.

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Mikey said:

What is there in this guy's coaching record that makes people think he'll be great at Auburn? He's 17-6 in 2+ years at Oregon, 27-47 in six years at FIU, and that includes a 3-9 record in his sixth and last year there. What did he build in six years there? https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/mario-cristobal-1.html

I'll admit his name has a cool sounding ring to it. Sadly, repeating the name over and over won't improve that coaching record.

Are you just going to crap on any coaching candidate? Like seriously. You always find a issue with every coach someone brings up. 

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Are you just going to crap on any coaching candidate? Like seriously. You always find a issue with every coach someone brings up. 

The guy has a losing record as a head coach. I don't have to crap on that, he accomplished that record all by himself. You want to get rid of Coach Malzahn, your first priority should be to find someone with the creds that indicate that they will do better than Malzahn. This guy doesn't have those creds.

PS: Cristobal coached six seasons at FIU and four of those were losing seasons. Is AU ready to put up with that?

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The guy has a losing record as a head coach. I don't have to crap on that, he accomplished that record all by himself. You want to get rid of Coach Malzahn, your first priority should be to find someone with the creds that indicate that they will do better than Malzahn. This guy doesn't have those creds.

Cristobal is showing what he is capable of at Oregon. They were 7-5 at Oregon the year before Cristobal took over. He won 9 games last year and should win no less than 10 games this season. I choose to judge him on how he has done at Oregon. Also they are recruiting better than they ever have in their history. Which is the biggest reason I want him ALONG with them having a GREAT OL at Oregon. We would never have to worry about BAD OL PLAY and talent again. I think he could get us to top 5 classes after seeing the classes he is putting together at Oregon which no matter what people say because of the Nike connection is still a tough place to recruit to.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Cristobal is showing what he is capable of at Oregon. They were 7-5 at Oregon the year before Cristobal took over. He won 9 games last year and should win no less than 10 games this season. I choose to judge him on how he does at Oregon. Also they are recruiting better than they ever have in their history.

Auburn was 3-9 the year before Gus took over and he went 12-2.  Cristobal's first year at Oregon doesn't match that. Again, you want to get rid of Gus, find someone better. So far I'm not seeing those names that have better creds.

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Auburn was 3-9 the year before Gus took over and he went 12-2.  Cristobal's first year at Oregon doesn't match that. Again, you want to get rid of Gus, find someone better. So far I'm not seeing those names that have better creds.

Gus has had 4 or more losses in 4 of his first 6 years here. You really do not think Cristobal could do better than that? You treat Gus like he is this mythical figure when he is just a slightly above average Head Coach. Ok Mikey. Since lets just be real here. You do not think anyone that would come here we name is better lets just cut the bs. I will ask you straight up who do you think is better than Gus that would come here? Just tell us so we can finally find a coach other than freaking Gus you want on the sidelines.

Mario has head coached one full season in the Pac and showed little at FL Intl before that. Perfect example of the knee jerk "fire Gus, hire ____" crowd. He LOST to Gus Malzahn! Amazing recruiter though. 

11 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

So u want the guy Gus just beat....interesting take. Very interesting. 

So would you base a HC hire on one game?

7 hours ago, DAG said:

Sometimes I think it’s all about fit. If you can find a coach who fits your culture and utilize your resources to its peak, it definitely can work. 

Nailed! It's amazing to look around the country and think...yep. Perfect fit there...

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Again, you want to get rid of Gus, find someone better. So far I'm not seeing those names that have better creds.

I’ve been echoing this exact thing for 2 years now. And I’m as sick of Gus as anyone. I’m also guilty of getting excited about guys who look good for a few games. Example 1 being Mike Locksley 😬

Back to your point. You’re absolutely right. Malzahn may not be Dabo or Saban, but he’s better than most of the coaches out there and he normally has us still invested in the season in November. It could be better, but it could also be wayyyy worse. Butch, Muschamp, Dooley, Belima, Pruitt, Shula, Price, McElwain, Joker, etc etc. None of those guys have accomplished the stuff Gustavo has. If we are gonna can him and shoot for someone better, we better be damn sure we aren’t shooting ourselves in the foot.

8 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

So by that logic you’re saying you’d take Orgeron over Saban? Interesting take. Very interesting.

No. First there is no ongoing discussion for Saban to be replaced and his track record clearly proves him to be a better selection than Orgeron. Cristobal at this point clearly does not have that distinction over Gus. Some of the calls made in the game vs Auburn, are some of the very things many have complained about with Gus. This season IMO has been about QB play and the inexperience at the position. Give Auburn the senior QB Oregon has and Auburn is undefeated or a one loss team. Give Cristobal the True Freshman and I am sure the freshman may have cost them a game or two like Auburn. Take a look at the top 5 teams in the playoff and you will see none with a true freshman running the show. One less red zone turnover by Nix on the road and Auburn is possibly undefeated. I try not to get into who should be the coach or not because I will support whoever walks the sidelines whether it’s Gus or someone else I just find it interesting some would go the route with Cristobal. Not bad choice just interesting. 

Gus has had 4 or more losses in 4 of his first 6 years here. You really do not think Cristobal could do better than that?

This team here that we have, warts and all, would be undefeated this year with Oregon's schedule.  Cristobal's a good coach, but Oregon would lose to LSU, Georgia, and Alabama this year, along with Auburn.  Florida would be a tossup.

Oregon has gotten substantially better this year from game 1. If they played us today, we'd be run out the stadium. Good coaches have their teams progress throughout the season. Mario would be a perfect fit here and could really start a historic run with his recruiting abilities.

Just going to drop this little tidbit right here.  Don't care either way however Mario would be a fool to leave Oregon at this moment. 

With the attrition of players next year will be a difficult year for whomever is the head coach.

On December 5, 2012, Cristobal was relieved of his position as head coach of the FIU football program. FIU Athletic Director Pete Garcia explained his reasoning for firing Cristobal as "He's done a very good job for this program, but we’ve gone backwards over the last year and a half. Over the last 22 games, we've gone 8-14."[6] The decision by Garcia was heavily criticized for its rashness.

13 hours ago, SKIPPER_01 said:

I said it. 

Mario Cristobal. Head Coach. Football. Auburn University.

1. Played and coached Oline.

2. Has head coaching experience. 5 yrs at FIU (built them from nothing). Plus 2 yrs at Oregon.

3. Coached 4 yrs for Saban at bama

4. Great recruiter. Has spent career recruiting Florida and Alabama.

If we fire Gus....we should hire Cristobal. All the other choices suck.

I agree.  I waver between Bob Stoops and Cristobal, but I'd be very happy with this hire if Gus leaves.

53 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Gus has had 4 or more losses in 4 of his first 6 years here. You really do not think Cristobal could do better than that?

This team here that we have, warts and all, would be undefeated this year with Oregon's schedule.  Cristobal's a good coach, but Oregon would lose to LSU, Georgia, and Alabama this year, along with Auburn.  Florida would be a tossup.

But would Cristobal be undefeated with Auburn talent? That’s the point. 

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

He's an outstanding OL coach and an outstanding recruiter.  The former is something we could especially use.  He's coached in the SEC at Alabama so he understands that aspect of the job.  He coaches a physical brand of football and understands the kind of strength and conditioning needed to win in the big conferences like the SEC.  And his main recruiting network is still in the Southeast.

The FIU thing was stupid on their part.  That school had never had success and were winless the year before he came.  They steadily improved until they won the conference his 4th year there and took them to back to back bowl games.  They had a down year the next year and FIU got dumb and fired him for Ron Turner.  They didn't have a winning record for the next 4 seasons after Cristobal left until Butch Davis got there in 2017.

He took over from Willie Taggart who went 7-5 in 2017 and took Oregon to 9-4 his first year and now has them 8-1 and ranked 6th in the CFP poll this year.

But also, coaches don't always have an incredible record prior to being made the head man.  Pat Dye's best season was 9-2 with East Carolina once in a weak league.  He was 6-5 at Wyoming the year before we hired him.  Tuberville had a 25-20 record and had won more than 6 games only once in four years at Ole Miss before we hired him.  Cristobal's track record is at least as good as those.

15 minutes ago, DAG said:

But would Cristobal be undefeated with Auburn talent? That’s the point. 

Well, Cristobal's best wins this year were over 6-4 Washington, and a 2 point squeaker at home against (#41 Sagarin rating) Washington State 2 weeks ago.  He has plenty of talent on his team, but I really have no idea how he'd do with our schedule. 

I'm not trying to dis Cristobal. I think he's a good coach, but it's a stretch to say if only we had him, we'd start beating LSU, Alabama, and Georgia on a regular basis.  We need an 8 or 16 team playoff, no matter who the coach is.  Murderer's row ain't gonna change, no matter how many times we change coaches.

19 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Well, Cristobal's best wins this year were over 6-4 Washington, and a 2 point squeaker at home against (#41 Sagarin rating) Washington State 2 weeks ago.  He has plenty of talent on his team, but I really have no idea how he'd do with our schedule. 

I'm not trying to dis Cristobal. I think he's a good coach, but it's a stretch to say if only we had him, we'd start beating LSU, Alabama, and Georgia on a regular basis.  We need an 8 or 16 team playoff, no matter who the coach is.  Murderer's row ain't gonna change, no matter how many times we change coaches.

That’s fair but it’s not like you can penalize him for winning against the teams on his schedule. I know his team is #6 in the nation right now , so he is doing something right .

Murderous row was never changing period. We all recognize that so I guess we should just sit here and be happy with losing against Bama, UGA and LSU every year, correct? The schedule is very soft next year but we still face those three. 

No we don’t need to expand the playoffs either only to water it down. Put our big boy pants on and learn how to handle these teams. 

9 minutes ago, JJB74 said:

He would get run out of town in the SEC........Anybody could win 10 games a year at Oregon 

Are you sure about that? Their first 10 win season didn’t come until 2000 and they haven’t had a 10+ win season since 2014.

Archived