I want Mario Cristobal

SKIPPER_01

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

If  considering a losing record when evaluating coaches isn't important, I don't know what is. The excuses being made for Cristobal could have been made for Dye at ECU. His wasn't a new program, but he also played and beat teams a whole level of competition above him and he left there as a big winner. If Dye could be a big winner at ECU, why is Cristobal being a big loser at FIU excusable?

I get your point about the losing record. I was shocked and disappointed when we hire Chili’s with a 5-19 record at Iowa State. But here’s Saban’s first 4 years at Michigan State: 

6-5-1, 6-6. 7-5, and 6-6. His ‘breakthrough’ season of 9-2 got him the LSU job. There’s a difference in a coach producing a record of futility, versus a coach growing into the HC role over a 4-5 year period. I think most on this thread are saying that Cristobal has demonstrated growth as a program manager and head coach and could succeed at AU, in spite of his record at FIU.

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

And is 6-16 against our three biggest rivals. Not to mention 4-3 against Mississippi State. Just don't see how Auburn could hope to do any better than that.

I definitely want the guy who can beat Moo U every single time....

12 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

No one is saying he is going to Arkansas. Which is actually one of the most difficult jobs in the country. Auburn is a top 10 ish job. How the hell are we the most difficult job in the country? It is freaking Oregon. We are a much better job than them and always will be.

To win at Auburn is more difficult on a competitive level than Oregon. Who does Oregon compete with? The road to conference championships are far easier if you build something at Oregon. I doubt Oregon want Georgia and Alabama as it’s biggest rivals and have to go through a SEC schedule.

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The "Auburn's too hard" line of rationale confuses me. Where does the NFL get their coaches?

There is parody in the NFL though.  Even the Patriots lose and have to follow the same playoff structure as the rest of the league.  AU is across state from the exception to every rule and has to face that every year for the last decade.  The entire country is tired of UAt yet nothing changes.  Latest example is to see that they are 5th in the playoff poll.  They will make the playoff again and not even win their division.  How do you compete with that year in and year out.  Much easier at 90 of the other power 5 schools.

BTW....  Simply playing devil's advocate here.  I hate the argument as well!!

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The "Auburn's too hard" line of rationale confuses me. Where does the NFL get their coaches?

This. Any coach worth his salt and worth having at AU is not going to have this kind of thinking ever enter his mind.

6 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

There is parody in the NFL though.  Even the Patriots lose and have to follow the same playoff structure as the rest of the league.  AU is across state from the exception to every rule and has to face that every year for the last decade.  The entire country is tired of UAt yet nothing changes.  Latest example is to see that they are 5th in the playoff poll.  They will make the playoff again and not even win their division.  How do you compete with that year in and year out.  Much easier at 90 of the other power 5 schools.

Glad you brought up the Patriots. Why would anyone ever take a job at any other team in the AFC East? Or anywhere in the NFL, for that matter? Because exactly. There is real parity in the NFL. That means that instead of playing 4-6 bama/LSU/uga type games every season, you're playing at least a dozen. And yet, guys make the jump all the time.

Why would a 5* player compete with other 5* players at Auburn when they could go be a god at Louisville or Maryland?  

Why did Bielema leave Wisconsin for Arkansas

True competitors want to be big time. With only a few exceptions, you're not big time if you're not in the SEC. 

18 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

So u want the guy Gus just beat....interesting take. Very interesting. 

Agree. We wouldn't have any the issues with recruiting and having a top OL. However, I think Oregon is too conservative on offense at times; esp. considering they have a top QB. The fans have stated such. I do like the fact that it seems we wouldn't lose much defensively. I think he's a solid coach and could at least duplicate what Gus has done. Just not sure if he solves our offensive issues. I said before Penn State i'd want Fleck and it showed Saturday. Even if Minn would've lost i just like his attitude. He's a program changer coach IMO. So is Scott Satterfield. Louisville is a lot more competitive than last year and it's his 1st year.  

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Glad you brought up the Patriots. Why would anyone ever take a job at any other team in the AFC East? Or anywhere in the NFL, for that matter? Because exactly. There is real parity in the NFL. That means that instead of playing 4-6 bama/LSU/uga type games every season, you're playing at least a dozen. And yet, guys make the jump all the time.

Why would a 5* player compete with other 5* players at Auburn when they could go be a god at Louisville or Maryland?  

Why did Bielema leave Wisconsin for Arkansas

True competitors want to be big time. With only a few exceptions, you're not big time if you're not in the SEC. 

Well in the NFL, they at least have rules in place that it is fair.  You have a fair chance to beat them and you have a fair chance to make the playoffs.  That is not the case with AU & UAt at the moment.  Look at ALL the signs of inappropriate activity going on in UAt.  Then you do beat them and they get to go to the playoff anyway.  

Now we have an 8 team playoff and they get in with one of the wildcard slots, then so be it.  But in today's world and structure NCAA football is UAt and the rest of the pack.  You have a punchers chance in another conference.  But their rival, in their division, in their conference.  That is not a competitor going to fight and compete that is just going to the bully and kicking him.

1 minute ago, LKEEL75 said:

Well in the NFL, they at least have rules in place that it is fair.  You have a fair chance to beat them and you have a fair chance to make the playoffs.  That is not the case with AU & UAt at the moment.  Look at ALL the signs of inappropriate activity going on in UAt.  Then you do beat them and they get to go to the playoff anyway.  

Now we have an 8 team playoff and they get in with one of the wildcard slots, then so be it.  But in today's world and structure NCAA football is UAt and the rest of the pack.  You have a punchers chance in another conference.  But their rival, in their division, in their conference.  That is not a competitor going to fight and compete that is just going to the bully and kicking him.

The moment is much bigger than anything Alabama is doing.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

The moment is much bigger than anything Alabama is doing.

Don't lose site of the original question that I was debating: 

41 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

6 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

To win at Auburn is more difficult on a competitive level than Oregon. Who does Oregon compete with? The road to conference championships are far easier if you build something at Oregon. I doubt Oregon want Georgia and Alabama as it’s biggest rivals and have to go through a SEC schedule.

Sometimes thats a fair assessment and sometimes not. I remember some Florida fans upset for hiring Urban. Prior to UF,  he had only proved himself at Bowling Green and Utah. How could a Mountain West coach succeed in the SEC. Yet he worked out fine. Craig Klieman had only coached at the FCS level until K-State, yet he was good enough to beat the mighty Lincoln Riley. This whole thread reflects that any coaching hire any team makes is risky, for one reason or another. 

Speaking of the NFL, John Harbaugh is like the golden example of coaching to your QBs strength. I watch this man run a triple option with Lamar Jackson, RG3 and Mark Ingram. The “Heisman package” is what it is called. It can be done folks.

1 hour ago, LKEEL75 said:

I don't think good coaches are thinking about it that way at all. And I think we fans make much more of that than what is actually there. 

4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Not to hijack but saw Ratt in Lauderdale back in the 80's..............play this song loudddddddd

You must've looked out of place. It's not that often you see an 80 yr old fella at a rock concert

3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I get your point about the losing record. I was shocked and disappointed when we hire Chili’s with a 5-19 record at Iowa State. But here’s Saban’s first 4 years at Michigan State: 

6-5-1, 6-6. 7-5, and 6-6. His ‘breakthrough’ season of 9-2 got him the LSU job. There’s a difference in a coach producing a record of futility, versus a coach growing into the HC role over a 4-5 year period. I think most on this thread are saying that Cristobal has demonstrated growth as a program manager and head coach and could succeed at AU, in spite of his record at FIU.

He knows that. Dont let him fool ya.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

If you were Dabo, would you take the Alabama job if it were offered to you? 

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

If  considering a losing record when evaluating coaches isn't important, I don't know what is. The excuses being made for Cristobal could have been made for Dye at ECU. His wasn't a new program, but he also played and beat teams a whole level of competition above him and he left there as a big winner. If Dye could be a big winner at ECU, why is Cristobal being a big loser at FIU excusable?

Damn Mike, you make it sound like coaches don't get better, get more creative and evolve their coaching philosophy as they get more experience.  

Some coaches become more flexible and lose the stubborn headstrong mind set that they had early in their career.  Some coaches learn from mistakes and show a willingness to take advice from others, they welcome people that bring a different set of ideas to the game.  Some HC's just come to realize they don't know everything!

We have a couple of HC's right here in this division that appear to have shed a lot of their old ways of running a team.  Damned if they aren't better for it and we just saw both of those championship contenders go at it last Saturday.

3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Sometimes thats a fair assessment and sometimes not. I remember some Florida fans upset for hiring Urban. Prior to UF,  he had only proved himself at Bowling Green and Utah. How could a Mountain West coach succeed in the SEC. Yet he worked out fine. Craig Klieman had only coached at the FCS level until K-State, yet he was good enough to beat the mighty Lincoln Riley. This whole thread reflects that any coach we hire any team makes is risky, for one reason or another. 

All I’m saying is we aren’t getting Cristobal. Auburn would have to take a chance on a coach, they aren’t stealing a top 30 coach from a program. They will need to find their own (upcoming) Cristobal they aren’t getting an established Cristobal. We aren’t stealing a James Franklin, Chris Peterson, Lincoln Riley, Tom Herman. We will have to take a shot on a someone like a Gus Malzhan, Terry Bowden, Gene Chizik etc 

We will have to do like the teams in your example. Find an up and comer like Florida did with Urban or Clemson did with Dabo.

22 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Would be surprised if he'd sign up to leave a conference full or softies for the SEC West.

This is always said and I never understand it. To coach at that level, you have to have a maniacal competitive spirit. You are telling me these guys who recruit and scheme literally 24/7 are motivated by ease? Coaching anywhere in the SEC means a chance to compete with the best teams, getting the best talent, and in the best conference. No D1 coach (besides Tubbs) is saying "meh, too hard." 

9 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

All I’m saying is we aren’t get Cristobal. Auburn would have to take a chance on a coach, they aren’t stealing a top 30 coach from a program. They will need to find their own (upcoming) Cristobal they aren’t getting an established Cristobal. We aren’t stealing a James Franklin, Chris Peterson, Lincoln Riley, Tom Herman. We will have to take a shot on a someone like a Gus Malzhan, Terry Bowden, Gene Chizik etc

giphy.gif

Archived