I want Mario Cristobal

SKIPPER_01

20 hours ago, penguin149 said:

Could be a meat grinder too.  We have fired one coach after going 20-1-1 in his first 2 seasons and a few games after winning the SECW.  The next coach beat our most hated rival 6 years in a row and ran him off after the next season.  Next coach got fired 2 seasons after winning a national championship.  Everybody's chomping at the bit to fire this one after he has won the SECW (twice), appeared in the NC game, beat the #1 team TWICE in a 3 weeks span a couple of years ago.  Has as many wins against Saban as do Dabo and Freeze.  PTB that meddles in day-to-day football operations.  Sounds like a great place to work!

You buried the real reasons all these guys were (and are about to be) fired.

Tot - Scandal

Tubbs - Complacency

Chizik - utterly lost control of the team to the point of no return.

Gus - has plateaued and refused to evolve as a coach and offensive mind, which has led to inexplicable losses and squandering of Top 5 talent.

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

No one is saying he is going to Arkansas. Which is actually one of the most difficult jobs in the country. Auburn is a top 10 ish job. How the hell are we the most difficult job in the country? It is freaking Oregon. We are a much better job than them and always will be.

Because a lot of posters consider competition a negative. I personally love to compete, and the harder the challenge the more you grow. By these posters' logic, all these Top 5 recruits should head to the Sun Belt. It'd be so much "less difficult"!

7 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

It's apparent that you don't watch football at all.  Orgeron went out and completely changed his offense this year.  He brought in Joe Brady from the Saints who transformed LSU's ground and pound traditional offense into a wide open, pro style spread like the Saints use.  It's not like Joe Burrow turned into Superman during the off-season.  He just got the right scheme and coaching to take advantage of his talents.

Orgeron recognized his team's shortcomings and then changed the scheme and coaching to elevate their chances.  That's called evolving and is the sign of a damn good football coach.

Also, Orgeron was still winning 9-10 games his first couple of years at LSU before changing the offense.  Nothing during his tenure at Ole Miss would have suggested such success.  The man has undeniably gotten better as a head football coach.

Also helps that Burrow is like 30...I’m kidding but his maturity and experience was an asset along with bringing in Brady.

1 minute ago, PoetTiger said:

Also helps that Burrow is like 30...I’m kidding but his maturity and experience was an asset along with bringing in Brady.

Gus had an older guy in JS too, no? 

17 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

No one is saying he is going to Arkansas. Which is actually one of the most difficult jobs in the country. Auburn is a top 10 ish job. How the hell are we the most difficult job in the country? It is freaking Oregon. We are a much better job than them and always will be.

The fanbase.

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

Gus had an older guy in JS too, no? 

Not sure if he was as old as Burrow could be I am just not sure. IMO Burrow is a better QB, better pocket presence, accuracy on the deep and intermediate ball and his leadership is without question. He has the guts you wanna see in your QB. He was working with his team and receivers during the offseason while Stidham was seeing hearts with his fiance. Just my thoughts. The only comparison I see is their age. Burrow will be starting in the NFL next season for sure, and more than likely Stid will still be a backup.

1 minute ago, PoetTiger said:

Not sure if he was as old as Burrow could be I am just not sure. IMO Burrow is a better QB, better pocket presence, accuracy on the deep and intermediate ball and his leadership is without question. He has the guts you wanna see in your QB. He was working with his team and receivers during the offseason while Stidham was seeing hearts with his fiance. Just my thoughts. The only comparison I see is there age. Burrow will be starting in the NFL next season for sure, and more than likely Stid will still be a backup.

JS is 23 now, and Joe is 22, so they were the same age respectively when they started for their new teams

30 minutes ago, DAG said:

JS is 23 now, and Joe is 22, so they were the same age respectively when they started for their new teams

Thanks I knew it was close....but for some reason I thought Burrow was older 

44 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

JS never had the pocket composure that Burrow has. 

I think the pocket presence thing is system based. Gus’s offense tends to cluster receivers in one area and has few safety outlets incorporated. I would get antsy in the pocket if that were the case, too. Time will tell if the pocket thing follows JS in the NFL, or if it was our system. 

2 hours ago, Barnacle said:

If you were Dabo, would you take the Alabama job if it were offered to you? 

If I'm the head coach at Clemson having the same success as Dabo and getting paid like Dabo? I don't think so. The only thing that gives me pause is that, while it seems like Clemson has given him full autonomy and he's got what he needs to recruit at bama's level, we *know* that bama's coach cult culture has no boundaries.

If I'm actually Dabo? I dunno. I'm not sure how strong Momma's gravitational pull is for him.

3 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

All I’m saying is we aren’t getting Cristobal. Auburn would have to take a chance on a coach, they aren’t stealing a top 30 coach from a program. They will need to find their own (upcoming) Cristobal they aren’t getting an established Cristobal. We aren’t stealing a James Franklin, Chris Peterson, Lincoln Riley, Tom Herman. We will have to take a shot on a someone like a Gus Malzhan, Terry Bowden, Gene Chizik etc 

We will have to do like the teams in your example. Find an up and comer like Florida did with Urban or Clemson did with Dabo.

lol Cristobal is not at program anywhere close to a Penn State, Oklahoma, Texas or even Washington. Those coaches are at program no where near the level of where Oregon is at. He is at freaking Oregon. OREGON. We got some fans on here treating them like we are trying to hire away a successful USC coach or something. SO you are telling me we cannot hire away the head coach at Oregon who has no ties to the west coast and all his ties are to the southeast? And it has been repeated by multiple people on here that he has told people in coaching circles he wants and covets the AU job?!

Auburn is a GREAT job. A highly desirable job. Coaches know you can recruit great here and win big here. Just a matter of hiring a actual good coach to do that Consistently. Just because we have not hired a established name before does not mean we are incapable of it. Auburn power brokers have to swallow their pride for once. Do what is best for Auburn and not what  is best for them. And hire not a guy who is a puppet who they can control more easily but the better coach. We got to stop selling ourselves short and start hiring guys that meet our level of excellence as a program. No more of these training wheel head coaching hires or guys with a 5-19 record! lol. Probaly foolish of me but I am confident our next head coaching hire will be a splashy one.

2 hours ago, Barnacle said:

If you were Dabo, would you take the Alabama job if it were offered to you? 

If there is a REC (cue Fam members who'll scoff the IF in 3-2-1), I can't see Coach Swinney putting his values and bold faith on the line to put up with it. He's got to live with himself, and I don't see him as one who can tolerate an unclear conscience. 

2 hours ago, rophle said:

The fanbase.

How many fanbases have you observed lately given the well-explained scenario that comprises 90 percent of our threads right now? I'd say the forgiving nature of most Auburn fans is why we are here in this spot right now...

19 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

How many fanbases have you observed lately given the well-explained scenario that comprises 90 percent of our threads right now? I'd say the forgiving nature of most Auburn fans is why we are here in this spot right now...

Tora you been killing it lately with the Snapple facts. It’s so baffling to me that we legit have people in here saying they would rather lose to our main rivals due to risking turning into Tennessee . Wow. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

FIFY

HAHA Well...I will agree, but I will also say that I think even if JS was here this year that he would have been sacked 2X as many times as Bo has. I don't know how many times he bailed on a good pocket where all he needed to do was take a step up. Joe has been very good in the face of pressure. 

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

Tora you been killing it lately with the Snapple facts. It’s so baffling to me that we legit have people in here saying they would rather lose to our main rivals due to risking turning into Tennessee . Wow. 

That fear is real in some. I am not one, but I am sure that UT fans never would have imagined they be where they are 15 or 10 or even 5-6 years ago

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

That fear is real in some. I am not one, but I am sure that UT fans never would have imagined they be where they are 15 or 10 or even 5-6 years ago

Geography like father time is undefeated. That is why Nebraska will never ever be anywhere close to as good as they were under tom Osbourne. Once their national recruiting dried up it was curtains for them.

Tennessee recruiting base is not as bad as Nebraska but it is not ideal either. They still shouldn't be as bad as they have been. They are going to have to get lucky with a strong in state recruiting class like when Spurrier won 11 games three straight years at South Carolina. He was able to keep alshon Jeffrey, Melvin Ingram, stephon Gilmore, Marcus lattimore and clowney all in state. All as everyone knows we're elite talent's. 

2 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Not sure if he was as old as Burrow could be I am just not sure. IMO Burrow is a better QB, better pocket presence, accuracy on the deep and intermediate ball and his leadership is without question. He has the guts you wanna see in your QB. He was working with his team and receivers during the offseason while Stidham was seeing hearts with his fiance. Just my thoughts. The only comparison I see is their age. Burrow will be starting in the NFL next season for sure, and more than likely Stid will still be a backup.

Is Gus not the guy that's supposed to be coaching these traits into our own players? Our QB play has been terrible for the most part against average teams for 5 years now. What gives? Are ALL of our QB recruits just totally garbage? If that's the case, who in the heck you think recruits these guys? Joe Burrow was average to below average for the past couple of years. Are you implying the light just came on or that his coaches did a better job preparing and developing him? Maybe the change in offensive philosophy is what suited him better. Novel idea right? 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Well, it just gets downright silly sometimes. Logic matters...

36 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Is Gus not the guy that's supposed to be coaching these traits into our own players? Our QB play has been terrible for the most part against average teams for 5 years now. What gives? Are ALL of our QB recruits just totally garbage? If that's the case, who in the heck you think recruits these guys? Joe Burrow was average to below average for the past couple of years. Are you implying the light just came on or that his coaches did a better job preparing and developing him? Maybe the change in offensive philosophy is what suited him better. Novel idea right? 

Yeah he is. No one is excusing any coach of their responsibility. But I am sure he did not coach Stidham to throw a pick on the first play against LSU( last season) or to carelessly hold the ball against UT and fumble, or overthrow a clear open receiver against Miss St. Coaches can prepare players in practice but when the lights come on players still have to execute. Stidham was good to great at many things but he also had issues in other areas, which is common for a lot of players. His time at Auburn was good enough for one of the best NFL coaches ever to draft him, so I would not say he was garbage nor was his QB play terrible. Burrow just has more natural ability to me, and has better leadership qualities. IMO Burrow was pretty good last year, but they were in a more run oriented offense so his abilities were masked with less opportunity to shine.  This year everything fits for him, kinda like Cam with Gus in 2010 and Nick in 2013. 2019 Auburn has a true freshman at the helm, and you would be extremely naive to think there would not be some growing pains, but I think the system Auburn is running suits Nix and his skill set. I laugh at people thinking Gus is gonna change or evolve his offensive philosophy, he ain’t doing it - ever. He is married to his system and the success or lack of success with it will ultimately determine his tenure here. 

27 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

I laugh at people thinking Gus is gonna change or evolve his offensive philosophy, he ain’t doing it - ever. He is married to his system and the success or lack of success with it will ultimately determine his tenure here

And this is exactly why threads like this arise...

Archived