I want Mario Cristobal

SKIPPER_01

9 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

You could probably count on one hand the number of people who wouldn't be fans of Gus if he won a national title, and you'd have fingers to spare when you did.  Don't exaggerate.  

We were all huge fans of Gus even when he failed to win his one shot at a title. 

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Mikey said:

but speculation that a guy has improved based on one or two seasons isn't sufficient reason to disregard an entire career's losing record

Well....we're definitely not speculating on who really hasn't in 7 years are we? 

9 minutes ago, The Freak said:

The only season Cristobal needs to explain is his last season at FIU.

Keep in mind, this is FIU.  They were 5-41 before he got there.  Mario was 27-41.

Reminds me of Gus (69-32) and Urban (187-32).  Which is better?

Here you go:

FIU lost it's best player from the year before, NFL WR T.Y. Hilton

They were breaking in a new QB

The starting QB and returning starting RB missed almost half the season due to injuries

Five of the losses that season were by one score.

Two of the losses were to Power 5 teams.

Bigger picture stuff beyond that season:

Cristobal inherited a program under NCAA sanctions he had nothing to do with and that the previous coach had driven into the ground.

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

So stop with the "losing record" babble and offer a serious argument.

If  considering a losing record when evaluating coaches isn't important, I don't know what is. The excuses being made for Cristobal could have been made for Dye at ECU. His wasn't a new program, but he also played and beat teams a whole level of competition above him and he left there as a big winner. If Dye could be a big winner at ECU, why is Cristobal being a big loser at FIU excusable?

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Here you go:

FIU lost it's best player from the year before, NFL WR T.Y. Hilton

They were breaking in a new QB

The starting QB and returning starting RB missed almost half the season due to injuries

Five of the losses that season were by one score.

Two of the losses were to Power 5 teams.

Bigger picture stuff beyond that season:

Cristobal inherited a program under NCAA sanctions he had nothing to do with and that the previous coach had driven into the ground.

That reads exactly like a typical list of excuses from our resident Gus apologists for our 5 loss seasons, our late season collapses, and our complete no-shows against our main rivals. 

But what's good for the Gus isn't good for the gander, I guess. Even when you're comparing what happened in a previous phase of Cristobal's career to what is happening in the current phase of Gus's. 

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

If  considering a losing record when evaluating coaches isn't important, I don't know what is.

When it's used devoid of context, it's meaningless.  That's what you continue to do, but fail to admit.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

The excuses being made for Cristobal could have been made for Dye at ECU. His wasn't a new program, but he also played and beat teams a whole level of competition above him and he left there as a big winner. If Dye could be a big winner at ECU, why is Cristobal being a big loser at FIU excusable?

Pat Dye inherited an East Carolina program that had gone 9-2 in both of the two seasons prior to him arriving and he more or less maintained that going anywhere from 7-4 to 9-3 in his tenure.  They'd been playing football for 40 years when he got there.  They played in the Southern Conference.

Do you ever Google anything before you type stuff?

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

That reads exactly like a typical list of excuses from our resident Gus apologists for our 5 loss seasons, our late season collapses, and our complete no-shows against our main rivals. 

But what's good for the Gus isn't good for the gander, I guess. Even when you're comparing what happened in a previous phase of Cristobal's career to what is happening in the current phase of Gus's. 

I'm just responding to someone who wanted to know what happened his final year when he went 3-9.  And I hardly expect a program like FIU to be able to quickly bounce back from such a situation.  A Sun Belt team is lucky if they can field a starting 22 that can give a P5 team a scare.  You start yanking key players off from one year to the next due to graduation, injury, or going pro and you're going to have a down year.  It's inevitable.

2 minutes ago, JJB74 said:

I love Tubbs but his record against Bama would not look the same if he was coaching now, not with Saban at Bama.

Tubbs had a 5-6 season and a 5-7 season while at Auburn Gus has not. 

100% agree about the 6 in a row.

'99: 5-6

'00: 9-4

'01: 7-5

'02: 9-4

'03: 8-5

'04: 13-0

'05: 9-3

'06: 11-2

'07: 9-4

'08: 5-7

Total: 85-40 .680

If we take out the best and worst seasons and avg the others, Tuberville's avg record is 7.25-4.25. If you do the same with Gus, it's 8.2-5. (that doesn't factor in 2019).

Either way, both are average coaches while at Auburn.

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

When it's used devoid of context, it's meaningless.  That's what you continue to do, but fail to admit.

Pat Dye inherited an East Carolina program that had gone 9-2 in both of the two seasons prior to him arriving and he more or less maintained that going anywhere from 7-4 to 9-3 in his tenure.  They'd been playing football for 40 years when he got there.  They played in the Southern Conference.

Do you ever Google anything before you type stuff?

I don't have to Google Dye's coaching record, I'm very familiar with it. It's also posted above in this thread. I'm comparing a coach who turned out to be highly successful under less than ideal circumstances with a coach (Cristobal) who had four losing seasons in six years at FIU. Dye had a better circumstance but he also scheduled and beat more powerful programs and won.

13 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Saban and Spurrier were winners when they were hired. The others were probably assistants somewhere. None of those had losing records when they were hired. The only head coach AU has hired that had a losing record was Chizik and, NC or not, he was gone after four years. Is a repeat of Chizik what we want?

There is always a chance for failure but the chance for greater success is what drives winners. You never know until you try. That 8-5 bubble Gus has us living in is not comfortable to most of us. At this point what is outside looks much more exciting. We're tired of seeing the prize but not being able to touch it. 

tumblr_ppo9s0MXEY1sxm49so1_400.gif

1 hour ago, JJB74 said:

Tubbs had a 5-6 season and a 5-7 season while at Auburn Gus has not. 

It is old school to wait until the program falls apart to replace a coach.  Gus has had 7 years to put this puzzle together and every year, save 2013, he has had a piece missing.  This year it was a QB, last year it was the OC, the year before he almost had it, soooo close.  It’s time to see if there is a coach out there that can recruit consistently and intellectually to put the puzzle together.  Cristobal or Fleck seems to be on their game.

It’s all about trends, not necessarily their win/loss records.

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I don't have to Google Dye's coaching record, I'm very familiar with it. It's also posted above in this thread. I'm comparing a coach who turned out to be highly successful under less than ideal circumstances

You're great at parsing words in a way to make an argument sound reasonable on the surface even though it's bull**** underneath.  Pat Dye didn't inherit "less than ideal circumstances."  He inherited an already established program that was successful and competitive on its level and more or less kept them at the same level for four years.  That is not comparable to...

with a coach (Cristobal) who had four losing seasons in six years at FIU. Dye had a better circumstance but he also scheduled and beat more powerful programs and won.

FIU was not an established program.  They had started a football program from scratch just six years prior to Cristobal's arrival.  And Cristobal inherited a team that was winless the year prior AND had just been sanctioned by the NCAA.  Saying "Dye had a better circumstance" with no more detail than that is the understatement of the century, not to mention intellectually dishonest.

42 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Over and over and over and over and over again and again.................I'm getting a headache

I prefer (but, the 80s were my formative years)

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

FIU was not an established program.  They had started a football program from scratch just six years prior to Cristobal's arrival.  And Cristobal inherited a team that was winless the year prior AND had just been sanctioned by the NCAA.  Saying "Dye had a better circumstance" with no more detail than that is the understatement of the century, not to mention intellectually dishonest.

South Alabama was 55-59 in their first ten years of existence as a football team. Why couldn't Cristobal (27-47 at FIU) do as well?

Toodle-loo, it's a bright sunny day outside, if a bit cold.

15 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I'm just responding to someone who wanted to know what happened his final year when he went 3-9.  And I hardly expect a program like FIU to be able to quickly bounce back from such a situation.  A Sun Belt team is lucky if they can field a starting 22 that can give a P5 team a scare.  You start yanking key players off from one year to the next due to graduation, injury, or going pro and you're going to have a down year.  It's inevitable.

Totally agree. Just bouncing off your post to respond to some other posts. 

Would love to know how Gus would have done at Arkansas State if he hadn't inherited a 10-win program- and 4000+ total yard QB, along with 2 of his top 3 receivers- from Hugh Freeze. 

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

South Alabama was 55-59 in their first ten years of existence as a football team. Why couldn't Cristobal (27-47 at FIU) do as well?

Toodle-loo, it's a bright sunny day outside, if a bit cold.

Well for one, they played a really easy schedule early on.  They went 7-0 in 2009 and played zero Division I teams.  Most were simply prep schools like Hargrave Military Academy.  Others were Division III schools like Huntingdon College in Montgomery.  And none of them were road games.  Their second year they played on the FCS level.  When they finally moved to FBS level in 2012, they promptly went 2-11 after going 23-4 over the previous three season at lower divisions.

On the other hand, FIU took a slightly more accelerated path and their coach of the five seasons prior to Cristobal's arrival drove the program into the ground and got them on probation.

Why do all of your responses manage to barely skim the surface and completely lack context?  Is this the only way you know how to respond - with half-assed arguments and barely researched cherry picking?

21 minutes ago, fredst said:

Not to hijack but saw Ratt in Lauderdale back in the 80's..............play this song loudddddddd

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Well for one, they played a really easy schedule early on.  They went 7-0 in 2009 and played zero Division I teams.  Most were simply prep schools like Hargrave Military Academy.  Others were Division III schools like Huntingdon College in Montgomery.  And none of them were road games.  Their second year they played on the FCS level.  When they finally moved to FBS level in 2012, they promptly went 2-11 after going 23-4 over the previous three season at lower divisions.

On the other hand, FIU took a slightly more accelerated path and their coach of the five seasons prior to Cristobal's arrival drove the program into the ground and got them on probation.

Why do all of your responses manage to barely skim the surface and completely lack context?  Is this the only way you know how to respond - with half-assed arguments and barely researched cherry picking?

Because having to actually think deeper about an issue kills any argument he makes.

LOL Cristobal lost to Gus so he couldn't do a better job than Gus at AU.

Ed Orgeron continues to whoop Gus's ass but he's not a better coach. He just has a "once in a decade" QB. It's not like he took the steps to re-tool the O for this QB, either...

This post sums it up the best though IMO, thank you to I_M4_AU:

20 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

It is old school to wait until the program falls apart to replace a coach.  Gus has had 7 years to put this puzzle together and every year, save 2013, he has had a piece missing.  This year it was a QB, last year it was the OC, the year before he almost had it, soooo close.  It’s time to see if there is a coach out there that can recruit consistently and intellectually to put the puzzle together.  Cristobal or Fleck seems to be on there game.

It’s all about trends, not necessarily their win/loss records.

Some of our fans really don't want to reach for greatness. The players deserve better.

I would take Cristobal right now, today, before the sun sets. All of that said I still don’t think AU would make a change even if Ga and Al blow us out.  Doing so would require  Harbert to admit he made a mistake and his ego just wouldn’t allow him to do that.  

34 minutes ago, fredst said:

Fred, I too, all up in 80s, my teen years...here's my vote. Try not to look too hard. Apparently it wasn't just Boy George ..🤣

Just now, Mike4AU said:

I would take Cristobal right now, today, before the sun sets. All of that said I still don’t think AU would make a change even if Ga and Al blow us out.  Doing so would require  Harbert to admit he made a mistake and his ego just wouldn’t allow him to do that.  

Hints out there that Harbert's influence is weakening. One hearsay is as good as another.

#MikeMarshall

49 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Not to hijack but saw Ratt in Lauderdale back in the 80's..............play this song loudddddddd

These threads deserve all the hijacking they can get, lol

Archived