Lot of smoke out there today

aubiefifty

2 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I wouldn't mind CKS in terms of an Interim basis, but are we really going to put out that kind of buyout money to fire Gus just to hire CKS...? I honestly want a new coach, but I would rather hit a homerun. IDK....he can't do worse. Who knows lol

I wouldn't throw a hissy fit if he had a 1 year 'prove it' deal at the head coach position. Unless he kept Grimes... then I riot.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gonna throw this out for everyone's take...maybe stupid, I don't know. Garner is the associate head coach currently. IF, they were to get rid of Gus before the season is over, why not move him to HC? Leave Steele as DC and look for a new DL coach. Move out some offensive coaches and bring in Kendall Briles as OC. I doubt anyone on staff knows how Auburn works better than Garner and he's worked at several major SEC programs. Now long term, maybe not but short term I'd be ok to see how he does. Assuming a move sooner rather than later, and if Garner would even have the desire for it. (And assuming, they don't already have someone waiting in the wings to hire.) Now tell me why this is crazy.:dunno:

1 minute ago, oracle79 said:

Gonna throw this out for everyone's take...maybe stupid, I don't know. Garner is the associate head coach currently. IF, they were to get rid of Gus before the season is over, why not move him to HC? Leave Steele as DC and look for a new DL coach. Move out some offensive coaches and bring in Kendall Briles as OC. I doubt anyone on staff knows how Auburn works better than Garner and he's worked at several major SEC programs. Now long term, maybe not but short term I'd be ok to see how he does. Assuming a move sooner rather than later, and if Garner would even have the desire for it. (And assuming, they don't already have someone waiting in the wings to hire.) Now tell me why this is crazy.:dunno:

Only argument I would have against this would be Steele himself. If he's okay with being 'leap frogged' in a sense then it could work. However, if he'd lose Steele in the process we'd be better off rebooting the whole thing anyways. Most of the conversation here is generated from the fact that none of us want to lose Steele. I think a lot of potential HC candidates seem promising if, somehow, Steele can be retained.

41 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

Look Auburn fans! There goes another rabbit! Hurry see if you can catch it!

Just excited. Clinging to hope. That's how far it's gotten. Chizik did not lose the fanbase. A mounting case beyond just this Board can be made for the opposite here. 

2 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Imo, there is only 1 option. If Gus is fired, it should only be because he is being replaced with a proven winner and a household name. There is entirely too much money being thrown around to take a chance on another coach. Especially Steele, whose last head coaching gig went terribly, or Garner, who I don't believe has ever had one. We've already had the Chizik trials and the Malzahn experiment. Time to give the reigns to someone who has absolutely proven they know how to win consistently at a power 5 program.

34 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Nah, Saban runs that defense. If they're not happy with the defense then they're not happy with Saban. Steele isn't going to go be Saban's female dog.

Few could stomach Tuscaloosa after living in the Loveliest Village...location, location, location. IMHO, Auburn is his better cultural fit. 

If Gus beats Bama I really don't see how he's removed. If they wanted a change then they should've done it after LSU 2017, or after last season, or this past Sunday. Now he has a very good chance to beat a very injury-riddled Bama @ JHS. I realize you can't be too impulsive, but sometimes you have to strike while the iron is hot. He just gave a press conference today, so he's not going anywhere until possibly the IB.

Some great arguments on both sides for and against coach Steele. 

One thing that I think is extremely important is recruiting. Not just putting talented assistants around you, but the head coach being a great recruiter. 

For those who know, how does Steele stack up?

2 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

If Gus beats Bama I really don't see how he's removed. If they wanted a change then they should've done it after LSU 2017, or after last season, or this past Sunday. Now he has a very good chance to beat a very injury-riddled Bama @ JHS. I realize you can't be too impulsive, but sometimes you have to strike while the iron is hot. He just gave a press conference today, so he's not going anywhere until possibly the IB.

Read more than once that a Bama win or loss is immaterial. That to me is a significant statement.

The thing is at this point as Interim HC we wouldn't have much to judge him on Samford, bama, bowl game. If we beat bama is it because Tua is out or he has making of a great coach. Samford game proves nothing unless it is an abysmal failure and it would depend who we played in a bowl game.  It Tuesday they aren't going to make change before Samford game and I doubt if they would make a change before bama so in reality as Interim HC Steele would have one game against an unknown bowl team.  That is not enough to really judge him.

I got off the Gus bus a while back I was one of the last ones off. With the defensive team he had this year I was in the camp lets see what he can do this year as the true OC.  I disagree with those who say he has been totally inept this year but I do agree that his stubbornness and not willing to consistently adjust his offense to his personnel have hurt us on Offense.  He stared the Georgia game with a good O then after the failed FG he went back to old predictable Gus. Then when we got down by 21 points he went to an offense that was helped some by Georgia switching to a zone but also to an offense that took advantage of what we are good at in passing game. Once they were having to adjust defense to stop quick passes we were able to run some.  

I saw what could have been in the three games we lost.  I also saw our O-Line and backs do a very solid job in pass protection even when Georgia knew we were passing.  That is why I really think we need a new HC. Whether it should be Steele or somebody from outside I am on the fence I can see good and bad things both ways. I really want to keep our D side of the coaches as they have shown they are great recruiters,  they are great teachers of the game, and they are great motivators of the players. We may have had the best defense in the country when you look at the quality of teams offenses that we played against and how many times our O went 3 and out putting more pressure on the D.

Steele keeps D together and as HC he can still keep a hand on D similar to Saban. a lot would be who he would bring into run the O.  An outside coach might want to keep the D staff or might want his own people.  If an outside coach is brought in he would have to have complete control on any coaches on either side of the ball but I would hope he would see what we have on D side and keep them. Now if PTB and Greene try to force him to keep certain people even if I agree with keeping the D staff we won't be any better off. 

2 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Read more than once that a Bama win or loss is immaterial. That to me is a significant statement.

I've read it as well, but that would put us at 9-3. I guess its possible though, Mark Richt was fired from UGA after going 9-3 in 2015.

Just now, Barnacle said:

Some great arguments on both sides for and against coach Steele. 

One thing that I think is extremely important is recruiting. Not just putting talented assistants around you, but the head coach being a great recruiter. 

For those who know, how does Steele stack up?

All those guys "playing for Gus"are playing for Coach Steele. Their effort, attitude, and perseverance despite fatigue and obstacles are recorded loud and clear through the same offensive adversity we've witnessed. I am thinking the pro level scouts are going to take extra notice of that. Yes...not only can he recruit, he and his staff can obviously develop. Developed players are the best commercial for recruiting, and word of mouth is POWERFUL. Musicians know musicians? Athletes know athletes... 

1 minute ago, TigerFanAU said:

I've read it as well, but that would put us at 9-3. I guess its possible though, Mark Richt was fired from UGA after going 9-3 in 2015.

It's the body of work and the patterns that are eclipsing this year's record, I believe. More in the fanbase, pundit arena, and even those in the position to make changes are at a new level of "fed up". 

17 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Just excited. Clinging to hope. That's how far it's gotten. Chizik did not lose the fanbase. A mounting case beyond just this Board can be made for the opposite here. 

He lost me the moment he lost a lot of the players. His last year, a lot of them just didn't even try. I was never on the Gus bus when he was hired, thinking he was way too close to the Chizik regime and I also was never convinced that 2010 wasn't a run mostly on Cam's shoulders that would never happen again with that staff. 

But back to Gus, the last 3 years have been very tough to write those checks for season tickets + donation. When you couple how far away I am, and consider flights + hotel, it is not a cheap venture and then to not be excited after all that. It's a real buzz kill. I'm ready to feel excited again about Auburn football.

1 minute ago, ToraGirl said:

It's the body of work and the patterns that are eclipsing this year's record, I believe. More in the fanbase, pundit arena, and even those in the position to make changes are at a new level of "fed up". 

Yes, agree its the body of work. Auburn's defense has spent too much time on the field taking up for Malzahn's inpet offense. Auburn's defense ranks 6th in number of plays played this year, however it ranks 13th in yards per play allowed, and 24th in total defense. Its incredible how talented this defense was/is. With a better offense, we could've certainly won it all this year.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

I like Dilly as well. No clue what type of offense he would run.

i like dilly as well but can he run an "O"? i thought he was like a motivator and qb coach and maybe o guy in training? i am honestly asking.

4 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

If they fired Gus today we would not have a single coach on offense that has called a play before at the college level.

Just another reason this should've happened last year when we had Chip Lindsay on staff with his own proven playbook, that Gus wouldn't let him use.

1 hour ago, TigerOne said:

Look Auburn fans! There goes another rabbit! Hurry see if you can catch it!

is this not part of the reason we engage in message boards? i am pretty sure speculation is part of it.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

I know it's not an indicator of what would happen but coach Steele's head coaching record is still worrisome...

(9-36) as a head coach isn't great no matter how you slice it

If we want someone who has been at Baylor might as well bring Rhule into the fold

that was a long long time ago. look. clemps sons fired steele because he got 72 hung on him in a game where i was told his kids folded. but we all agree steele is a great d guy and he has just fielded one of the best defenses we have ever seen. i remember some folks laughed when we got coach steele but he has been outstanding and he always gives us a better chance to win. i know most want a splash hire and you could be right. but i am not against giving steele a chance. the thing is if it does not work out do not let him coninue until too much damage is done.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Saban would love to have Steele back.

bird would you not be interested in keeping caddy? if not i would enjoy your insights since i am just a fan and just because i think he is doing good there are tons of things i could miss. i want tank bad and if gus and caddy are gone do we lose him? thanx

1 hour ago, WarTim said:

Out of likes. Great post Zeek!!!

hey tim as an aside i think all mods should have unlimited likes so you guys can praise or hell no us crackheads on the board............lol

47 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Not only did Chiz lose the fanbase, he lost the team. Passing time tends to heal all things as we all know. Most folks like Chiz now but he was ripped apart when he was at rock bottom. 

Chizik definitely lost the fan base as I remember it. Boy was it ugggggllllyyy around here after that Arky game in 2012. Then the TAMU fiasco? Oh jeez

Archived