Top Teams So Far

AURex

Holy Moley.

Yes, all these teams that depend on one-and-done superstar recruits take time to gel. They are better in March than in November.

I've been surprised and very happy at the way Auburn has played early in the season. But let's talk rivals. And after last years final four appearance, our rivals are top 10 teams.

Kentucky gets beat by a cupcake. Duke gets beat by a cupcake. ???

I watched the Battle for Atlantis tourney with interest. A lot of top ranked teams.

Michigan shredded #6 UNC. Then Michigan tore apart #8 Gonzaga. Here's a team that kinda reminds me of Auburn. Lost their top 3 scoring perimeter players to the NBA. Returned assorted backups who step up and pump 3s as well as driving to the basket, plus a big who anchors the team.

There are some commonalities with Auburn. Michigan lost their 3 top perimeter players, their most productive scorers -- just like Auburn. They've asked upperclassmen who did not start to step in and up their game -- just like Auburn. I like having experience when the game is on the line -- loved our Auburn guys outside last year. And like Auburn, they have a young player coming in, Franz Wagner (yep, a German), who like Okoro can really play.

Unlike Auburn, Michigan also lost their coach to the NBA. They haven't lost a step.

I gotta say Teska is a frookingly monster. 7'1" and not only blocks and rebounds and powers to the basket inside, he shoots the 3. That young man will be a high 1st rounder.

Michigan was unranked so far, but I think they'll be in the top 10 next week after their dominating wins over UNC and Gonzaga.

Auburn has had some good wins too. I expect Auburn to move up to around 15th.

Is Michigan a rival? Auburn does not have them on the schedule. But come NCAA tournament time .... damn, I'd love to see Auburn vs Michigan! I'd love to see Wiley vs Teska inside. I'd love to see McCormick vs Simpson, Okoro vs Livers.  What a game that might be!

CBB is going to be a thrill this year. There is no clear leader and the NCAA tournament is going to come down to matchups. I really hope AU gets a shot at UVA though. Bruce needs to schedule a home and home as soon as he can. It could be a really cool non-conference rivalry.

Archived