0.1 seconds

AdamsHouseCat

I remember seeing the timeout attempt too. We should be raising hell about this IDC if we won the game. That is, yet another, example of amateur level officiating. This is not a subjective call, it's the rule. As soon as he saw Watford signaling for a timeout nothing else should've mattered and a technical should've been assessed.

4 hours ago, BigSammyK said:

The more I watch the replay, I think the initial whistle was because Watford was calling a timeout. The ref looks right at him and blows the whistle to stop play.

https://youtu.be/47EryuapkMM?t=1922

Brings to mind Chris Webber in the 1993 NC game against UNC.

He did walk early in the possession, but not called.

17 hours ago, BigSammyK said:

WarTiger, let me ask you this, how is the rule for giving a technical when a team is out of timeouts but a player attempts to call one handled? Is it supposed to be automatic or is it a judgment call?

After J’Von hit his floater Watford grabbed the ball and immediately tried to call a timeout. He did it multiple times right in front of the ref. I was shouting at my tv and am wondering if I was the only one. 

Attempting to call a timeout is not a technical foul.  A player can ask for a timeout, but its not a technical foul unless the official grants the timeout.    The LSU player did ask for a timeout and the lead official blew his whistle (which he probably shouldn't have done) BUT watch the play again and watch the trail official (the one out by the division line). He blows his whistle too, and I believe he did it because he thought Wiley touched the ball.   They went to the table to review if it was basket interfence which in essence gave lsu the timeout anyway.    The key here is GRANTED excessive timeouts.  LSU was NOT granted an excessive timeout so there isn't a technical foul here. 

Had there not been a review and the timeout had been granted then yes it would have been a technical foul.   ONE free throw for Auburn, then ball put in play at the point of interuption which would mean lsu ball. 

It also needs to be noted that in the last minute of regulation and overtime, the clock stops on any made fieldgoal.  So, the clock would have stopped after the shot anyway.   No technical foul is warranted here.

Art. 7. A team shall not be granted excessive timeouts without penalty.
PENALTY—One free throw awarded to the offended team

(Art. 7) Penalized when discovered before the ball becomes live. The ball
shall be put back in play at the point of interruption

Archived