0.1 seconds

AdamsHouseCat

With 0.3 or less the only way to score is with a tap.  By rule you cannot gain control of the ball and take a shot.   From the rule book:

In any period, when the game clock displays 10ths of seconds and
play is to be resumed by a throw-in or a free throw when 3/10 (.3) of a second
or less remains on the game clock, a player may not gain control of the ball
and attempt a try for a field goal. Such player can only score a field goal by
means of a tap of a pass or of a missed free throw.

26 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

Looked close but Grumps is right. I think there is even a number below which it has to be a tip. 1.4 maybe?

No i think it can be less than that. I think the only way a shot with .1 sec counts is if it is only a tip in. 

I was at the game and the LSU player did not get it off in the .1 sec and he had no shot to tip it in. 

7 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

With 0.3 or less the only way to score is with a tap.  By rule you cannot gain control of the ball and take a shot.   From the rule book:

In any period, when the game clock displays 10ths of seconds and
play is to be resumed by a throw-in or a free throw when 3/10 (.3) of a second
or less remains on the game clock, a player may not gain control of the ball
and attempt a try for a field goal. Such player can only score a field goal by
means of a tap of a pass or of a missed free throw.

Are you sure that is only a high school rule?  I have seen a tip in with .1 seconds left. 

I was at the game, and it looked like if there had been .3 left, that LSU player' shot (not tip in), if it had gone in would have counted.  

5 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

No i think it can be less than that. I think the only way a shot with .1 sec counts is if it is only a tip in. 

I was at the game and the LSU player did not get it off in the .1 sec and he had no shot to tip it in. 

May be a couple of tenths less. Not sure of the real number but he did get the shot off quick.

Not to question the .01 seconds, but I'd wish we would have put someone in front to the guy bring it in...at least force him to change the projectory of the throw in...PLUS the game was at AUBURN, the horn should have gone off as soon as it touched his hand, to make it a 'no doubt' situation...

Im pretty sure Derek Fisher is one of the few guys to get a shot off with 4 seconds off, which is the lowest you can get a shot off lol. With the way LSU fought, I feel like they wouldve been next on that list if they had the time 

21 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Are you sure that is only a high school rule?  I have seen a tip in with .1 seconds left. 

I was at the game, and it looked like if there had been .3 left, that LSU player' shot (not tip in), if it had gone in would have counted.  by rule it HAS to be a tip in. It cannot be catch and shoot.

That rule is taken right from the college rule book and this rule has been in place for quite a while.

0.1 seconds.

In the context of the official "One Mississippi" way of keeping time (is there a better way), that's catching and getting a shot off faster than you can say "Miss". Nope, would obviously have to be a tip in. :big:

6 hours ago, WarTiger said:

That rule is taken right from the college rule book and this rule has been in place for quite a while.

I think you are right now. I watched the replay and the SEC analyst said it has to be a tip in with .3/sec or less.

So why not say time expired as JVon's shot went thru the net?  It's next to impossible to determine when the shot was "complete" within one-tenth of a second.  If no meaningful play can take place, just call it done! 

WarTiger, let me ask you this, how is the rule for giving a technical when a team is out of timeouts but a player attempts to call one handled? Is it supposed to be automatic or is it a judgment call?

After J’Von hit his floater Watford grabbed the ball and immediately tried to call a timeout. He did it multiple times right in front of the ref. I was shouting at my tv and am wondering if I was the only one. 

1 hour ago, BigSammyK said:

WarTiger, let me ask you this, how is the rule for giving a technical when a team is out of timeouts but a player attempts to call one handled? Is it supposed to be automatic or is it a judgment call?

After J’Von hit his floater Watford grabbed the ball and immediately tried to call a timeout. He did it multiple times right in front of the ref. I was shouting at my tv and am wondering if I was the only one. 

LSU still had both of their timeouts. 

4 hours ago, penguin149 said:

So why not say time expired as JVon's shot went thru the net?  It's next to impossible to determine when the shot was "complete" within one-tenth of a second.  If no meaningful play can take place, just call it done! 

Seems wrong somehow. There is time on the clock.

4 hours ago, penguin149 said:

A foul 

8 hours ago, CAReeves2010 said:

LSU still had both of their timeouts. 

No they didn’t. They used their last timeout when they took the 90-89 lead. 

https://www.ncaa.com/video/basketball-men/2020-02-08/di-mbk-highlights-lsu-auburn

3 hours ago, BigSammyK said:

No they didn’t. They used their last timeout when they took the 90-89 lead. 

https://www.ncaa.com/video/basketball-men/2020-02-08/di-mbk-highlights-lsu-auburn

You're right. Should've been a technical but they blew the whistle right after the shot to view the replay

39 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

You're right. Should've been a technical but they blew the whistle right after the shot to view the replay

The more I watch the replay, I think the initial whistle was because Watford was calling a timeout. The ref looks right at him and blows the whistle to stop play.

https://youtu.be/47EryuapkMM?t=1922

Archived