Favorite Auburn Walk-On

Gowebb11

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Correct.

Sean White actually "discovered" him as a viable WR. 

Well, you know it couldn’t have been Gus.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Jaba4ever said:

Did not know that last part. Makes me like him even more. Dude was something else.

It could be a bit of a stretch how I said it, but I do know Will was quoted as saying that Sean essentially said "You're going to play WR here" and they went out over the summer and ran routes/threw passes. 

On 2/9/2020 at 7:11 PM, CodeRocket said:

Bill Newton of 17-16 fame? If so he blocked the two punts that David Langner ran in for touchdowns!

He should be everyone's favorite walk-on. Never realized he was a walk-on. Amazing!

Another interesting tidbit was that the extra point after Bama's first touchdown was blocked by Roger Mitchel

and he may have been a walk-on also.

One thing is certain, there have been some great players that were once walk-ons at Auburn University.

I think @augolf1716 has some great stories about Newton, or maybe it was Langner?? 

1 hour ago, Tristan said:

Hey! That’s my father!🦅WAR EAGLE! 

You must be very proud. He remains one of my favorite AU stories. 🦅WDE!

Jason Miska, played on Terry Bowden's undefeated 1993 AU team. Had (has) a condition that basically made him hairless. Loved the way he played linebacker.

On edit...

Stupid me! Loved Miska, but with the passing of Kevin Greene I can't go without mentioning him also. Played for Pat Dye and had a motor that just would not quit. Maybe the greatest of AU walkons in my living memory.

I have a soft spot in my heart for any of the walk-ons from Dye's early years, just because I was a kid myself and these guys were my heroes. I was at AU when Miska was there. If I recall he was from Connecticut or something - i'm not sure how he wound up at Auburn.  He worked at Subway over on Donahue, even during football season. He was always getting into fights.  Someone mentioned Hicks Poor...and what is not to love...the name itself is priceless and he reminded me of one of my fave's Trey Gainous.

3 hours ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

I think @augolf1716 has some great stories about Newton, or maybe it was Langner?? 

Yep I got stories on David.......one short story he and I almost came to blows at Sewell Hall David had a short fuse but wasn't the greatest fighter

5 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Yep I got stories on David.......one short story he and I almost came to blows at Sewell Hall David had a short fuse but wasn't the greatest fighter

Everyone knows someone from back in the day that got in a lot of fights but they couldn’t fight well, they just weren’t wrapped right 😆

On 2/9/2020 at 11:59 AM, passthebiscuits said:

10. Tim Drinkard

9. Alex Lincoln

8. Bobby Strickland

7. Tom Ghosom 

6. Lewis Colbert

5. Bill Newton

4. Willie Whitehead

3. Rod Hood

2. Jeremy Ingle

1. Kevin Greene

HM: Chandler Shakespeare (all-name team)

AUsome list PTB!!!  Man, that brings back some memories!

54 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

@augolf1716 Maybe you can confirm. Always heard David made up a giant snowball put it on the elevator and took to the top of Haley and threw it off .

1 hour ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

Everyone knows someone from back in the day that got in a lot of fights but they couldn’t fight well, they just weren’t wrapped right 😆

That was David in a nutshell another story I've told before......David was returning a punt against uga he leaped over a uga player and tried to kick another player in the mouth while leaping. His mistake was it was on the uga side of the sideline. Well about 15 uga players jumped David after the tackle. Lets just say it took a while for his teammates to come to his rescue. David was the same way in practice he had few friends

15 minutes ago, Ausburn2 said:

@augolf1716 Maybe you can confirm. Always heard David made up a giant snowball put it on the elevator and took to the top of Haley and threw it off .

Can neither confirm or deny I would not put it pass him. We did have two good snow storms the years David was there so its possible.

On 2/9/2020 at 6:34 PM, bigbird said:

Jason Miska

Always appreciated his hard nosed play. Met him by happenstance as part of a work appointment.  Gave me an autographed  picture.  Had a great lunch conversation. Great guy. 

I’m surprised nobody mentioned me.  I walked on in ‘75, Coach Jordan’s last team. I was a quick undersized Split End.  That’s what we called Wide Receivers back then.  I tore my groin on the first day freshmen could practice in pads.  That was my walk on and college career.  

On 2/9/2020 at 11:59 AM, passthebiscuits said:

10. Tim Drinkard

9. Alex Lincoln

8. Bobby Strickland

7. Tom Ghosom 

6. Lewis Colbert

5. Bill Newton

4. Willie Whitehead

3. Rod Hood

2. Jeremy Ingle

1. Kevin Greene

HM: Chandler Shakespeare (all-name team)

Drinkard and Yann came from the same independent high school. Both exceeded expectations.

Archived