Favorite Auburn Walk-On

Gowebb11

Bobby Strickland, LB, 1968, '69. 70. Grand Bay, Alabama. Perhaps the smartest and roughest LB Auburn has had. He had to be seen to be appreciated. He came to AU as a walkon QB. The rumor goes that Coach Jordan was watching a scrimmage against the scout team and asked "Who is that big, good looking kid playing QB?" Then as soon as the scrimmage ended, Shug called Strickland aside and said "You look like a linebacker to me, want to try it? And AU had a starting LB for the following three years.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Viper said:

Didn't he sign with FSU out of high school, then went the MLB route?

Yes probably. That’s why I say he is not your normal walk on. 

Favorite is Miska.

Most successful overall is obviously Greene. He is the patron saint of walk-ons. I’m mean NFL Hall of Famer?? Wow!

Definitely have to go with Kevin Greene on this one; my older brother & I used to work out at Kaz's gym in downtown Auburn as did Kevin. My brother was a bodybuilder and used to give Kevin a hard time because his upper body was big, but he had no legs ( never did any squats); I think Kevin had the last laugh in the end  as he went on to play in the NFL and made some good money. Bill Kazmeyer who was Worlds Strongest Man (had the world record bench press at that time 666 lbs), but that has since been shattered. It was a great place to work out, and boy did they like to have a good time. 

17 minutes ago, AUMASTERS said:

Definitely have to go with Kevin Greene on this one; my older brother & I used to work out at Kaz's gym in downtown Auburn as did Kevin. My brother was a bodybuilder and used to give Kevin a hard time because his upper body was big, but he had no legs ( never did any squats); I think Kevin had the last laugh in the end  as he went on to play in the NFL and made some good money. Bill Kazmeyer who was Worlds Strongest Man (had the world record bench press at that time 666 lbs), but that has since been shattered. It was a great place to work out, and boy did they like to have a good time. 

Developed upper body no legs sounds like another great linebacker by the name of Jack Lambert.

20 minutes ago, AUMASTERS said:

Stood in front of Kaz in line somewhere downtown one time, maybe Cheeburger Cheeburger. He's was as big as one would think. This was in the mid 90s. Just a boulder of a man. 

2 hours ago, Carnell said:

Developed upper body no legs sounds like another great linebacker by the name of Jack Lambert.

I'm sure they do it so they can chase the quarterback and feel the muscle would slow them down; obviously worked for both of them. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Stood in front of Kaz in line somewhere downtown one time, maybe Cheeburger Cheeburger. He's was as big as one would think. This was in the mid 90s. Just a boulder of a man. 

He was huge; he played Pro football at one time as well (the Packers); they (him and some work out buddies) pushed a loaded semi full of beer (maybe 100 yards) and won and they had a big party at the gym one time. That was one gym you wanted to make sure you were paid up at .

On 2/9/2020 at 5:57 PM, Gowebb11 said:

Coach Dye discussed him in his book “Inside the Arena.”  Powell is a great story. He was really good, too. 

Chip was one of the reasons I went to AU. I still talk to him regularly. He was there at a time that you could work yourself into a starting role with hard work and smart play.

The walk-ons back in the 80's were guys that you hadn't really heard of. They just loved the game.

Kevin Greene should always be mentioned in the same breath as Kaz.

Another guy there when I was there was a safety name Greg Staples. My goodness he would give you a headache.

On 2/9/2020 at 1:27 PM, alexava said:

Wr during tuberville time. Not exactly sure his name but started about a year and a half BEFORE he was on scholarship. Rod (Smith).  That name was a guess. 
jason miska. Alex Lincoln. But the WR under tubs was my favorite. I didn’t understand why it took as long as it did to get on scholarship. 

Rodgeriqus Smith!

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Rodgeriqus Smith!

Yes I looked him up and I think I linked his profile. I just remember being baffled at how tubs took so long to get him on scholarship. It might not have been the time it took but the order the scholarships became available were going to players who didn’t have near the impact this guy did. 

16 hours ago, Tiger said:

Rodgeriqus Smith!

15 hours ago, alexava said:

Yes I looked him up and I think I linked his profile. I just remember being baffled at how tubs took so long to get him on scholarship. It might not have been the time it took but the order the scholarships became available were going to players who didn’t have near the impact this guy did. 

Good stuff! Had totally forgotten about him. Didn't realize he was a walk-on!

We've had so many great walk one through out the years, til it's hard to name. However, I'll cast my vote for these two. Kevin Green and Kyle Collins.

2 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Tim Drinkard-1981 as a transfer Jr from Livingston

Yann Cowart-1982

Both home boys...

Big time IB hero!!!

CB TIM DRINKARD, NOV. 27, 1982

Tim Drinkard wasn't the biggest or the fastest cornerback around, but he believed he could play big-time college football. That's why he transferred from Livingston State to Auburn for his final two seasons. And he proved he could do what he set out to do, becoming a starting cornerback.

In 1982, Drinkard's senior season, Alabama was up 7-0 and driving at Legion Field. But Mark Dorminey put a withering hit on Alabama running back Joe Carter, knocking the ball into the air. Drinkard snatched it and ran 62 yards to the Alabama 13. Lionel James scored from the 10 on third down.

Auburn went on to win 23-22, breaking free of nine years of Alabama's domination. Without Drinkard's big play, Bo Jackson might never have had the chance to go over the top for the winning touchdown.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Five-unlikely-Auburn-Iron-Bowl-heroes-102832/

• 10 months later...
On 2/9/2020 at 4:57 PM, Gowebb11 said:

Coach Dye discussed him in his book “Inside the Arena.”  Powell is a great story. He was really good, too. 

Hey! That’s my father!🦅WAR EAGLE! 

I've got to go with Jason Miska. He used to come into Movies & Munchies and chit chat. He was a bit rough around the edges but a nice enough guy from what I could tell. That safety he got against Alabama was great. Barker nearly shat himself when Miska wrecked him in the endzone!!

5 minutes ago, madkat7 said:

I've got to go with Jason Miska. He used to come into Movies & Munchies and chit chat. He was a bit rough around the edges but a nice enough guy from what I could tell. That safety he got against Alabama was great. Barker nearly shat himself when Miska wrecked him in the endzone!!

There are not good stories about him. Don't know if they're true. But he was working the door at the Locker Room (or whatever it had turned into) and let me in as over 21 even though I was still a week or so away. He was just like, "Close enough." *STAMP*

Archived