Ethics Complaint filed Against Harry Reid

Tigermike

May 13, 2005

CFIF Files Ethics Complaint Against Senate Minority Leader Reid

Alexandria, VA — The Center for Individual Freedom today filed a complaint with the Senate Ethics Committee charging Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) with blatantly violating the Standing Rules of the Senate.

The complaint stems from Senator Reid’s public reference to a confidential FBI background report in disparaging comments he made about Judge Henry Saad, a nominee to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit. Specifically, Senator Reid stated yesterday on the Senate floor: “Henry Saad would have been filibustered anyway. He’s one of those nominees. All you need to do is have a Member go upstairs and look at his confidential report from the FBI, and I think we would all agree there is a problem there.”  His comments violate Section 5 of Rule XXIX of the Senate’s Standing Rules, which protects the secrecy of confidential Senate business and proceedings, including privileged access to FBI background information.

“Minority Leader Reid apparently has no regard for longstanding Senate rules that ensure civility and protect the integrity of the Senate,” said CFIF President Jeffrey Mazzella.  “Reid’s vague and unsubstantiated reference to the contents of a confidential FBI report was a desperate attempt to smear Judge Saad’s name to score political points and further obstruct his confirmation.” 

Section 5 of Rule XXIX of the Standing Rules of the Senate states: “Any Senator, officer, or employee of the Senate who shall disclose the secret or confidential business or proceedings of the Senate, including the business and proceedings of the committees, subcommittees, and offices of the Senate, shall be liable, if a Senator, to suffer expulsion from the body; and if an officer or employee, to dismissal from the service of the Senate, and to punishment for contempt.”

“Senator Reid chose to recklessly ignore longstanding Senate rules in order to further the Minority’s unprecedented campaign of obstruction against President Bush’s judicial nominees,” said Mazzella.  “Through innuendo, Senator Reid has now resorted to character assassination of the worst kind in an indefensible effort to disgrace a sitting judge and nominee to the 6th Circuit. 

“Senator Reid should be ashamed of himself,” Mazzella continued.  “It’s the obligation of the Senate Ethics Committee to impose disciplinary action immediately.  Senator Reid’s deplorable conduct must not go unpunished,” concluded Mazzella.

The Center for Individual Freedom (www.cfif.org) is a non-profit, non-partisan constitutional and free-market advocacy organization dedicated to protecting individual freedom and rights in the legal, legislative and educational arenas. Through its Confirmation Watch project, the Center has been a leader in pushing the Senate to hold up-or-down votes on judicial nominations.

link

At least somebody is trying to stand up to the Dems. Lord knows, the Senate GOP won't attempt to reprimand Reid in the least. Cowards.

Wow, he pointed out that de judge has an FBI file. How shocking.

If that's the worst they can dig up on him, he must be an Eagle Scout.

Wow, he pointed out that de judge has an FBI file.  How shocking.

If that's the worst they can dig up on him, he must be an Eagle Scout.

159950[/snapback]

Remember during the the Clinton administration and all those confidential FBI files on US Senators , Congressmen, and previous Administration's employees finding their way to the White House ? And how Cliff Livingstone , as head of Security for the White House got canned when the story broke, but no one could recall just who it was that hired him in the 1st place?

At least somebody is trying to stand up to the Dems. Lord knows, the Senate GOP won't attempt to reprimand Reid in the least. Cowards.

159844[/snapback]

Maybe because the Senate GOP are the one's who let the "secret" out of the bag almost a year ago:

From the moment Mr. Hatch began the meeting, he struggled to get the quorum required to vote on a nominee. As soon as a quorum gathered, Sen. Patrick J. Leahy, Vermont Democrat, requested a private meeting to discuss accusations stemming from Judge Saad's FBI background check.

Though several Republicans noted privately that the routine check had been completed more than six months ago and that no questions had arisen, Mr. Hatch acquiesced and removed the public and reporters to hold a meeting. During that meeting, Judge Saad's hopes of getting out of committee faded.

Although the closed-door meeting succeeded in delaying Judge Saad's nomination one more week, it failed to remain secret. The hearing was broadcast over the Internet because of apparent inadvertence on the part of Republican staffers.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/20...12813-1241r.htm

From last June. Nothing here, folks. Move along.

Judge Saad has served on the Michigan Court of Appeals since 1994. During his 1996 retention election, he received broad bipartisan support, including endorsements from the Michigan Chamber of Commerce and the United Auto Workers. Judge Saad is also active in the community. He has served as President of the Wayne State University Law School Alumni Association, Chairman of the Board of the Oakland Community College Foundation, and as a Board Member on the National Conference of Christians and Jews. In 1995, he received the Arab-American and Chaldean Council Civic and Humanitarian Award for Outstanding Dedication to Serving the Community with Compassion and Understanding. The ABA has given Judge Saad a “Qualifed” rating. It also bears noting that Judge Saad was nominated to the Eastern District of Michigan by President George H.W. Bush a decade ago, but did not receive a hearing.

Gee, if such a radical, "right wing" outfit as the ABA finds Judge Saad qualified, there MUST be something there we can use to discredit him. :rolleyes:

And this coming from someone who thought a Wal Mart comparison to Nazi's was worth a read.

I know I ramble randomness, but I don't go around with my nose in the air to tell people that because "I" quote something... it's over. "Look here's the facts that I brought up.. you should look at what I said" and then not rebuttle based on the facts that I bring up. :poke::poke:

Archived