Should Auburn Switch to Nike?

Zeek

With the NCAA working to allow athletes to sign endorsement deals there’s an unanswered question. What does that mean for the school’s endorsement? If Auburn is an Under Armour school but Bo Nix signs with Nike is that an issue?

Consider recruiting. Nike has a vastly superior advantage when it comes to player endorsements. The only two players I know of with Under Armour are Cam Newton and Steph Curry (two older athletes) and frankly Under Armour has done a crap job of working with Cam.

I know E has mentioned before that not being a Nike school already hurts us a little in basketball recruiting. Personally I prefer Under Armour products (though as a sneaker head they’re way behind). However, kids much prefer Nike and the Air Jordan brand.

• Like 3

No to Nike. Today and every day. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

7 minutes ago, WarTim said:

No to Nike. Today and every day. 

Reasoning?

1 hour ago, AUGoo said:

no

Reasoning

I really couldn’t care less what company Auburn dealt with. what I really don’t like is the reality of the scenario that this question reminds me of. I think it’s going to ruin the sport. 

• Like 3

We’re heading to a weird place. Let’s just have minor leagues and division three sports. I’ll still watch, or listen, to whatever gets broadcasted if Auburn is playing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kaiiu said:

It hurts us so much in basketball recruiting. UA deal is a joke.

No it doesn't.  We have signed more 5* players over the last 3-5 years (without nike) than the rest of the history of the program.  We have also been in the final group of teams for some of the most recent top players in the country (without nike).  Coach matters WAY more than some stupid pair of shoes and we have one of the best coaches and recruiters in the country. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Zeek said:

With the NCAA working to allow athletes to sign endorsement deals there’s an unanswered question. What does that mean for the school’s endorsement? If Auburn is an Under Armour school but Bo Nix signs with Nike is that an issue?

Consider recruiting. Nike has a vastly superior advantage when it comes to player endorsements. The only two players I know of with Under Armour are Cam Newton and Steph Curry (two older athletes) and frankly Under Armour has done a crap job of working with Cam.

I know E has mentioned before that not being a Nike school already hurts us a little in basketball recruiting. Personally I prefer Under Armour products (though as a sneaker head they’re way behind). However, kids much prefer Nike and the Air Jordan brand.

I like to think that kids are going to go with whoever wins more than anything. I don't think we need Nike. If Nike was that much impactful Oregon would be bringing in top 5 classes every year and competing at a high level. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

No it doesn't.  We have signed more 5* players over the last 3-5 years (without nike) than the rest of the history of the program.  We have also been in the final group of teams for some of the most recent top players in the country (without nike).  Coach matters WAY more than some stupid pair of shoes and we have one of the best coaches and recruiters in the country. 

Of course the coach matters, but to act like it doesn't hurt us putting a blindfold on. We'd be able to run the state in recruiting if we had Nike since Nike controls the state of Alabama so much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I like to think that kids are going to go with whoever wins more than anything. I don't think we need Nike. If Nike was that much impactful Oregon would be bringing in top 5 classes every year and competing at a high level. 

I agree with you but if kids entering colleges want to sign with Nike whose to say that Nike won’t provide some incentive to go to a Nike endorsed school?

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

Reasoning?

Reasoning

Nike is WAY too political IMHO

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

Yes . We should switch . Better shoes and better gear . Better marketing and brand awareness . Jumpman gear would be sweet. 

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

I agree with you but if kids entering colleges want to sign with Nike whose to say that Nike won’t provide some incentive to go to a Nike endorsed school?

Nike , adidas , UA can all do that and I believe do provide those incentives. 

I'm not being snide: can someone explain why we should? Why it matters? Why it hurts (or helps) recruiting?

I am not being a jerk, I really don't understand why the uniform contract matters at all to anyone. What am I missing?

32 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

I'm not being snide: can someone explain why we should? Why it matters? Why it hurts (or helps) recruiting?

I am not being a jerk, I really don't understand why the uniform contract matters at all to anyone. What am I missing?

Right now I don’t think it means much. But if players can sign endorsement deals (looking like the future) it could mean a lot.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

I think back in the day when Nike was solely the driving force . However, I think this now since there is so many other outlets to promote and become profitable . Honestly unless you are a huge brand , Nike can give you the 360 deal . I was watching the ball family speak about this . The fact that they never signed to a major company gives them 100 percent of the profit. Now , the climate is changing and the NCAA looks to be proposing ways to let these athletes profit on their likeness. If I am a five star recruit , this is what I would be doing tbh. 

Maybe if this was 2007 then it could probably hurt us but not now. Recruits go where they can win and be developed. 

Maybe if Auburn changed it's school colors to crimson & white, hired a munchkin tyrant with a Napoleon complex as head football coach & claimed 132 national championships it would help.  But using a certain brand ain't gonna matter unless it comes with backpacks crammed with hundies.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Maybe if Auburn changed it's school colors to crimson & white, hired a munchkin tyrant with a Napoleon complex as head football coach & claimed 132 national championships it would help.  But using a certain brand ain't gonna matter unless it comes with backpacks crammed with hundies.

72 one of my favorite posters. Hope all is well with you my guy.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

AU has better follow the money for whichever brand is going to produce the most NIL endorsement money which probably means Nike.   Like it or not, the cat has been let out of the money bag so we better get in front of this or we’ll get trounced for elite players even more than we are now.