Should Auburn Switch to Nike?

Zeek

10 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

If we are gonna do this, let’s do this right...P.F. Flyers it is.

E32A0043-307E-49AB-B3B9-7757A183C511.gif

Man. I love this shot even more seeing it isolated as a gif like this. Gawd, what a movie. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Man. I love this shot even more seeing it isolated as a gif like this. Gawd, what a movie. 

A gem of a movie. Literally. God, I want to recreate that 4th of July scene so bad in my neighborhood. Actually...we are already spreading the word in our hood. Already got a big bbq pit and some help lined up. Now, to spread the....uh...word.

Sorry for the derail. Back to trying to figure out which apparel company I’m supposed to loathe.

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Back to trying to figure out which apparel company I’m supposed to loathe.

I'm going to go with Old Navy because these pants I'm wearing have gotten too tight in the last month. Must be the inferior fabric they use. #screwoldnavy

• Haha 3

58 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm going to go with Old Navy because these pants I'm wearing have gotten too tight in the last month. Must be the inferior fabric they use. #screwoldnavy

I may or may not have recently "trimmed" an older pair of dorts(dad shorts) for a little extra gam freedom. Kinda feeling like a redneck version of Magnum PI right about now. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I may or may not have recently "trimmed" an older pair of dorts(dad shorts) for a little extra gam freedom. Kinda feeling like a redneck version of Magnum PI right about now. 

JUST SAY NO TO THE CHAFE

Aaaaand thank you for the theme song in my head right now. No, seriously, thank you. It is unironically awesome. Like the Ferrari. And the shorts. 

Edited by McLoofus
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

I just want a cheaper Polo than the UA stuff that I see and looks better.  When I can get logo Dry Fit shirts for work relatively inexpensive compared to UA gear.  I like my plain UA polos but the Dry Fit has come a long way.  So for me, I just want decent gear that doesn't cost an arm and leg.  If it helps recruiting then switch.  I don't wear either of the shoes from either company although my son swears by the UA shoes.  Nike shoes don't fit me well at all.  They are way too narrow.  But I don't hoop it up so there is that...I like a polo that I have made by UA but I have seen some dry fit that had some great designs.

Go to Sams. Nike/UA dry fit polo's show up there for like 30 dollars if you are looking for just a plain color. University logo is always going to cost 80 or more regardless of who it is.

6 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

did he use a lot of mfers in person?

Yes, actually.

Word of advice: Don't try to do that thing where you take a selfie and Samuel L. Jackson just happens to be standing right behind you. He will let you know what he thinks about that loud enough for the entire party to hear. And it will sound exactly like you think Samuel L. Jackson would sound berating someone at a party. And no, it wasn't me. I was introduced to him properly. But it was just a handshake and a "Big fan" and then me just standing there listening to entertainment people talk to each other for about 90 seconds. But I still try to work "I met Sam Jackson" into conversations as often as possible. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 5/2/2020 at 3:59 PM, Auctoritas said:

I'm not being snide: can someone explain why we should? Why it matters? Why it hurts (or helps) recruiting?

I am not being a jerk, I really don't understand why the uniform contract matters at all to anyone. What am I missing?

How many high school aged kids do you see wear Nike or Air Jordans? How many do you see wear UA shoes?

Then go to a basketball game or court...look at their shoes. 8 out of 10 will be wearing Nike shoes. 

The majority of those kids who have played basketball for 18 years and have ALWAYS worn Nike or Jordan shoes.

When they get to Auburn they can no longer wear Nike or Jordans because to play basketball at Auburn they HAVE to wear UA shoes. 

Yes Bruce has us recruiting at a level higher than any in program history

BUT

to pretend like it wouldnt help is naive. To pretend that the shoes they play basketball in does not matter is flat out WRONG. 

Brands matter to these kids...much more than they did when i went to school in the 90s... Suggesting otherwise just says you dont know much about todays youth.

• Thanks 3

11 hours ago, McLoofus said:

tenor.gif

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

The shoe companies have an extremely heavy hand in basketball recruiting and Bruce is fighting harder than he needs to just to be in position at the very end with these elite guys. As my bro @GwillMac6 said these shoe companies are steering kids towards colleges that are sponsored by said company via the AAU programs. With that kind of "help" under Bruce's guidance we really would become a basketball factory without affecting football's recruiting at all. We need to make this happen IMO 

Only drawback with Nike in hoops is that our jerseys would take a step back lol. Hopefully by 2024 they're no longer making those track and field style jerseys when we can sign with them

• Love 1

Would Nike help sway some attention ? Maybe 

Would consistently winning at a high level bring recruits ? Yes, yes, yes.

There are a lot of schools who have been wearing Nike and nothing but Nike and don't bring in near the recruits auburn does even with UA.

Clemson didn’t just begin getting great recruiting classes because of air Jordan. 

Now basketball is a whole different endeavor but I will say , Bruce has done a wonderful job getting kids here, coaching them up and also showing it by success on the court. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

The shoe companies have an extremely heavy hand in basketball recruiting and Bruce is fighting harder than he needs to just to be in position at the very end with these elite guys. As my bro @GwillMac6 said these shoe companies are steering kids towards colleges that are sponsored by said company via the AAU programs. With that kind of "help" under Bruce's guidance we really would become a basketball factory without affecting football's recruiting at all. We need to make this happen IMO 

Only drawback with Nike in hoops is that our jerseys would take a step back lol. Hopefully by 2024 they're no longer making those track and field style jerseys when we can sign with them

By 2024 with the new likeness rules I suspect something other than a shoe brand will be what is driving kids to schools.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AFTiger said:

No. Kapernick

Waiting on that dude to show up at my house and try and take my "Don't Tread on Me" US soccer T. The only Nike thing I have lol.

5 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

some of the posts on this page good grief 

Oh just have some with it. You can't really think that Nike's politics wouldn't play an impact on if people from Auburn would want them as a sponsor. Seem like a smart guy. I know people that despise Nike cause they re-endorsed Micheal Vick. As a life-long dog owner I didn't like them cause of that move 9 years ago either.

I'm with many and don't think Nike is gonna turn us into North Carolina or Duke etc. Those programs earned their names on the court way before any of this shoe business. Kansas dumped Nike for Adidas and it isn't like they suck now. Ok State is a Nike school that made what 15 straight NCAA's under Sutton and have not been the same since he left. Is Gonzaga where they are cause of Nike or is it because Few built them and they have been able to keep him for 30 years.  So yes, I believe proper coach plus consistency > than shoe brand.

Like I said the entire recruiting model will probably be changed by 2024 (if not earlier) when the UA contract is up due to the NCAA changes regarding likeness. Will be a lot more out in the open forces to drive a player to X university than a shoe. Actually might be good that Auburn can't change sponsors until a couple years after that takes place.

For their teen popularity, Vans has actually been taking an increasing percentage of their market every year for the last few.

Real funny thing is that quality wise in clothing, the Reebok Dri-Fit stuff I have gotten from for $12 and 15 dollars at Sam's have been beasts even against Adidas and UA stuff the last couple of years.

I also suspect I will mostly be done with college sports and eagerly await NHL seasons by then also for the reasons Barkley mentions here (as it seems to be drifting more and more into college sports):

https://www.nhl.com/video/nhl-tonight-charles-barkley/t-277350912/c-68445703

Also trying to play the AAU game has bitten us in the ass more than once. Reason our program has had the issues it had... thanks Komora lol.

Edited by Texan4Auburn
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, DAG said:

Would Nike help sway some attention ? Maybe 

Would consistently winning at a high level bring recruits ? Yes, yes, yes.

There are a lot of schools who have been wearing Nike and nothing but Nike and don't bring in near the recruits auburn does even with UA.

Clemson didn’t just begin getting great recruiting classes because of air Jordan. 

Now basketball is a whole different endeavor but I will say , Bruce has done a wonderful job getting kids here, coaching them up and also showing it by success on the court. 

as an aside dag i believe you work in the medical field? stay safe...............

1 hour ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Oh just have some with it. You can't really think that Nike's politics wouldn't play an impact on if people from Auburn would want them as a sponsor. Seem like a smart guy. I know people that despise Nike cause they re-endorsed Micheal Vick. As a life-long dog owner I didn't like them cause of that move 9 years ago either.

I'm with many and don't think Nike is gonna turn us into North Carolina or Duke etc. Those programs earned their names on the court way before any of this shoe business. Kansas dumped Nike for Adidas and it isn't like they suck now. Ok State is a Nike school that made what 15 straight NCAA's under Sutton and have not been the same since he left. Is Gonzaga where they are cause of Nike or is it because Few built them and they have been able to keep him for 30 years.  So yes, I believe proper coach plus consistency > than shoe brand.

Like I said the entire recruiting model will probably be changed by 2024 (if not earlier) when the UA contract is up due to the NCAA changes regarding likeness. Will be a lot more out in the open forces to drive a player to X university than a shoe. Actually might be good that Auburn can't change sponsors until a couple years after that takes place.

For their teen popularity, Vans has actually been taking an increasing percentage of their market every year for the last few.

Real funny thing is that quality wise in clothing, the Reebok Dri-Fit stuff I have gotten from for $12 and 15 dollars at Sam's have been beasts even against Adidas and UA stuff the last couple of years.

I also suspect I will mostly be done with college sports and eagerly await NHL seasons by then also for the reasons Barkley mentions here (as it seems to be drifting more and more into college sports):

Also trying to play the AAU game has bitten us in the ass more than once. Reason our program has had the issues it had... thanks Komora lol.

i adopted three rescues. one was abused to the point i cannot pick her up and she refuses to walk in the bathroom. other than that she is mostly ok and she is spoiled rotten. i had four but one died and i cried like a baby. i buried her close to my sidewalk so i could pass by her everyday. i know this is off topic but we found something in common.

1 hour ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Sure, folks can be butthurt and feign self-righteous indignation over Kapernick. That's their right. But there's no comparison to Vick as Vick actually tortured sentient creatures for years. As for how it actually affects Auburn, it's a good discussion. Doesn't seem to have hit other schools financially, but Auburn's obviously more conservative than most other schools. One thing's for sure, Kapernick is viewed much differently by most prospective college athletes than he is by many of the Auburn folks who hope to be buying their jerseys. 

No, Nike isn't going to make us UNC or Duke. Yes, Bruce is more important. But do you pass up a faster car just because it won't turn you into Richard Petty? I'm pretty sure Richard Petty wanted the fastest car...

...Great point about the recruiting model changing, though. Right this minute, going Nike would make Bruce's life much easier. But in a few years? Who knows. I will say this, though. If we go Nike and the kids are able to profit off their NIL, then doesn't it somewhat become Uncle Phil money vs everyone else's money? Which would be okay? Unless Oregon really is able to buy college basketball.

Summary of Barkley's comments? 

Seems to me that we have to get in the AAU fray no matter what. So we might as well go in with a full clip?

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 1

@Zeek,  maybe multiple choice is the way to go...🙄

A. Yes, they should change, we all love Nike

B. Yes, they should change, we all love Nike

C. Yes, they should change, we all love Nike

D. All of the above. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Yes, actually.

Word of advice: Don't try to do that thing where you take a selfie and Samuel L. Jackson just happens to be standing right behind you. He will let you know what he thinks about that loud enough for the entire party to hear. And it will sound exactly like you think Samuel L. Jackson would sound berating someone at a party. And no, it wasn't me. I was introduced to him properly. But it was just a handshake and a "Big fan" and then me just standing there listening to entertainment people talk to each other for about 90 seconds. But I still try to work "I met Sam Jackson" into conversations as often as possible. 

As well you should.

• Haha 1

I find it interesting that some of those who don't like ESPN injecting political themes into sports coverage are themselves injecting politics into which sports apparel company they'd prefer AU to go with.

This is about what's best for AU, IMO. Everyone should assess this question without personal agenda, as I see it. Not calling anyone out and not trying to be nasty or derail this thread, JMO. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

as an aside dag i believe you work in the medical field? stay safe...............

Thank you buddy! You too!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Our basketball head coach needs to stay away from any thing in terms of the AAU circuit or shaky recruiting tactics lol 

https://sports.usatoday.com/2018/02/26/by-the-numbers-once-nike-gets-a-fivestar-college-recruit-hes-unlikely-to-ever-leave/

https://247sports.com/college/louisville/Article/Pitino-blasts-Nikes-recruiting-influence--31885983/

We know the programs that are really influenced by Nike and Under Armor. I wish it wasn’t there. I think it’s going to be there for a long time.”

Now some of this is clearly walking the line but here is some data and some vague truth. Interesting thing Pitino speaks about UA.

Here is some data. I love to see data, instead of talking out my ass.  So, I will change my view and say the brand would help with BASKETBALL. In that case, yes it would be beneficial.  However, it is a nasty game as well. Going down that route, know what you are getting yourself in to. Some of you guys lose your minds when Tennessee or UGA swoops in for a prospect. All is fair in apparel and competition.

Another very good article that looks at does apparel correlate with signing recruits. 

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/how-much-influence-does-apparel-have-basketball-recruiting/yCKUbAr9LXMhFgfPDVBRzO/

https://usatodayhss.com/2014/basketball-recruits-shoe-contracts-nike-adidas

Players, AAU coaches and parents interviewed for this story said shoe-company allegiances rarely influence recruiting

Edited by DAG