Should Auburn Switch to Nike?

Zeek

16 hours ago, gr82be said:

You are either way too forgiving or way to generous with your girlfriend. :dunno:  Not a judgement, just an opinion. 

not really. it broke up the band. but i was a kid and learning. hell i never had too many serious dates until i found out a whole lot of women loved singers............but yes it was a huge mistake, one that i never looked back on in sadness.

Edited by aubiefifty
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, DAG said:

Respect your opinion. There is a lot more I want to say about this but I rather this be more in a political forum.

i made a thread in the political smack talk if you are interested.

10 hours ago, cole256 said:

I don't think I'll ever understand the outrage about dogs and stuff but people cool with hunting for fun and heads on the wall and stuff like that. 

i made a thread in political smack talk if you are interested. i am interested more in your viewpoints than just arguing. anyway good to see you back. i have not seen you in a while.

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

you need to ask a hunter that question cole.

Didn't ask a question but I will, are you upset with people that hunt for fun?

24 minutes ago, cole256 said:

no as long as they are harvesting what they kill.

33 minutes ago, cole256 said:

what. just to shoot things just to kill them and nothing else? yes

image.pngWe should have switched from UA to Nike the minute this ridiculous crap came out for $35. I like underarmour clothes, but their college football gear looks like cheap trash. 

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Haha 1

On 5/6/2020 at 8:17 AM, Tiger said:

I find it interesting that some of those who don't like ESPN injecting political themes into sports coverage are themselves injecting politics into which sports apparel company they'd prefer AU to go with.

This is about what's best for AU, IMO. Everyone should assess this question without personal agenda, as I see it. Not calling anyone out and not trying to be nasty or derail this thread, JMO. 

Our contract with UA ends in the middle of 2025. That is 5 years of other companies designing/marketing (and others are catching/surpassed Nike in areas). Plus the likeness rule in effect that will change recruiting (least I feel it will).

Fun to discuss and speculate, but I feel like we will know what's best for AU in 2025 when we have/can make a move.

Edited by Texan4Auburn
  • Like 1

On 5/6/2020 at 9:42 AM, DAG said:

Our basketball head coach needs to stay away from any thing in terms of the AAU circuit or shaky recruiting tactics lol 

Ya, lot of people would like his head on a pole unfortunately.

14 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Our contract with UA ends in the middle of 2025. That is 5 years of other companies designing/marketing (and others are catching/surpassed Nike in areas).

And 5 years of this thread. 

Everyone stay hydrated!

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And 5 years of this thread. 

Everyone stay hydrated!

I read the first page and thought the topic was exhausted, then I looked down and saw 5 more pages!

2 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I read the first page and thought the topic was exhausted, then I looked down and saw 5 more pages!

Hah! It should probably just be a poll with no further commentary.

Meant to say I noticed you back yesterday. Good to see you. Hope all is well. 

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Hah! It should probably just be a poll with no further commentary.

Meant to say I noticed you back yesterday. Good to see you. Hope all is well. 

All good, little time for message boarding lately.  Closed my business in March to start a new job with a bigger firm in Atlanta, so getting used to working remotely from Tallahassee and fixing up the house to sell.  Thx for checking.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

All good, little time for message boarding lately.  Closed my business in March to start a new job with a bigger firm in Atlanta, so getting used to working remotely from Tallahassee and fixing up the house to sell.  Thx for checking.

Congrats and enjoy ATL. I sure did. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2020 at 7:37 PM, Auburn2Eugene said:

How many high school aged kids do you see wear Nike or Air Jordans? How many do you see wear UA shoes?

Then go to a basketball game or court...look at their shoes. 8 out of 10 will be wearing Nike shoes. 

The majority of those kids who have played basketball for 18 years and have ALWAYS worn Nike or Jordan shoes.

When they get to Auburn they can no longer wear Nike or Jordans because to play basketball at Auburn they HAVE to wear UA shoes. 

Yes Bruce has us recruiting at a level higher than any in program history

BUT

to pretend like it wouldnt help is naive. To pretend that the shoes they play basketball in does not matter is flat out WRONG. 

Brands matter to these kids...much more than they did when i went to school in the 90s... Suggesting otherwise just says you dont know much about todays youth.

I thought I was clear in my post that I don't know much about today's youth or why it matters. I literally said "I do not know, please explain." Which is why I made my post.

There was no "pretending" - I literally did not know. But I do appreciate the automatically going into attack mode as though my ignorance was somehow personally insulting to you or was me taking a position.

This is why we can't have nice things.

• Like 2

Should Auburn Switch to Nike?

@Zeek. Can't until 2025 or 2026 when AU's contract with Under Armour is up. Also pretty sure individual athletes will not be able to have individual apparel endorsement deals with the new & emerging rules.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Some of our players apply tape over the Nike logo to step foot in the athletic complex per UA rules. The UA shoes are that poorly fitted. 

just FYI. 

What a glaring lack of endorsement that is. UA has had plenty of time to get their act together. Sounds like some players are just saying "forget you" to Under Armour. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/2/2020 at 12:54 PM, WarTiger said:

No it doesn't.  We have signed more 5* players over the last 3-5 years (without nike) than the rest of the history of the program.

@WarTiger yes it does. Yes we have signed more 5* p& high caliber layers under Pearl than before but that all Pearl & the staff & in despite of Under Armour. Comebine Pearl with Nike & it would have been quite a bit more on the talent front.

We have also been in the final group of teams for some of the most recent top players in the country (without nike). 

With Pearl & Nike we would have landed most of them.

Coach matters WAY more than some stupid pair of shoes and we have one of the best coaches and recruiters in the country. 

Yes but it's not about the shoes. It's about the money Nike funnels into the AAU programs & pushes recruits to Nike colleges.

• Thanks 3
  • Love 1

On 5/3/2020 at 7:32 PM, GwillMac6 said:

Yes. Bruce Pearl having elite players funneled to him because we would be a Nike school? Unstoppable. Who we are sponsored for in football has absolute no bearing whatsoever on recruiting. So I do not care at all when it comes to football. We could be Puma or Converse and we still would have a top 10 class every season. But it is EVERYTHING in basketball recruiting. Us being UA in bball puts us at a disadvantage. Bruce shows you can still have a great program being UA but it def hurts us in certain recruitments. AU going to Nike would UNLEASH Bruce's full potential and we would have top 5 classes every season. Bruce can finally realize his full potential. He has never had the power of Nike behind him. He was Adidas at Rocky Top and now the lowest of the lows being a Under Armour school for basketball now. 

And like @Kaiiu said we could finally get some of the elite prospects in the state TO COME TO AUBURN!! The top AAU programs in Alabama are all run by Nike. That is why even though Bama since Bruce arrived having worse coaches still gets most of the the top guys in the state. And if they do not go to Bama they go out of state like Trendon Watford did. This year coming up I do not believe we have one single state of Alabama kid on our roster for basketball that is on scholarship besides Jamal Johnson a transfer from Memphis. That is absolutely egregious with how amazing our basketball program is now. There is not a doubt in my mind it is because we are not a Nike school. Austin Wiley and Purifoy are the only big time prospects we have signed from the state in the Bruce era and I mean one was a legacy. 

Agree with him or not @GwillMac6 knows his basketball on stuff like this.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 5/8/2020 at 7:47 AM, AUDevil said:

I read the first page and thought the topic was exhausted

A topic is never exhausted til I stick my nose in it. lol

50 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Some of our players apply tape over the Nike logo to step foot in the athletic complex per UA rules. The UA shoes are that poorly fitted. 

just FYI. 

That’s just sad man

• Like 2

i bought a pair of under armor sunglasses that are almost ten years old and still going strong. i assumed all their gear was top notch. i must say as a fat boy i hate the slim fit jerseys or i would have bought a number 24 which was my old mans number when he played on the frosh team in the early fifties.

On 5/2/2020 at 11:37 AM, Zeek said:

Reasoning?

Reasoning

AU swimming, was a Speedo school back in the day. Bama an Arena team.

AU now in Arena gear kills me!

Don't want to be anything like the Turds!  

I really like the Under Armour gear and would prefer to stick with it.

This doesn't even begin to enter the politics of how Nike has behaved.