Men's 2020-2021 Schedule (Updated 11/19/20)

ellitor

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

The contrast between our two major programs is stark.  One you have energy, personality, identity, excitement, recruiting, and success. The other has Gus.

Ouch

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, bigbird said:

Losing him sucked! Yes, JVon was adequate, but DM would've been better, IMO

And if he would have stayed he would have gotten the same chance to play that he got at Baylor. But at the time no one expected Harper would be going pro early so what can you do :( 

• Like 1

On 10/21/2020 at 11:35 PM, bigbird said:

The contrast between our two major programs is stark.  One you have energy, personality, identity, excitement, recruiting, and success. The other has Gus.

Don't make me ask a mod to kick you out of this happy place bringing that gloom over here...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, jared52 said:

Don't make me ask a mod to kick you out of this happy place bringing that gloom over here...

I volunteer just ask!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/23/2020 at 3:13 PM, augolf1716 said:

I volunteer just ask!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You gonna be able to make it to this one?

Multiple college basketball teams considering backing out of Orlando-based ESPN events, per report

Given the overall success of the NBA Bubble in Orlando, Florida to finish out the 2019-2020 season, it made a lot of sense in September when word got out that ESPN was moving 10 early-season college basketball tournaments to Orlando as well in order to minimize COVID-19 concerns and cut overall costs.

The Champions Classic, Charleston Classic, Myrtle Beach Invitational, NIT Season Tip-Off, Wooden Legacy, Orlando Invitational, Jimmy V Classic, and Diamond Head Classic were all expected to move to the ESPN Wide World of Sports property at Walt Disney World, a perfectly realized effort of corporate synergy. Plus, some of the biggest names in college basketball would be involved, including Duke, Michigan State, Kansas, Kentucky, Georgetown, UCLA, Virginia, Gonzaga, and more.

The TV schedule for all of these games sounds daunting, if not exciting, for college basketball fans. Games are currently scheduled to begin on November 25 and these tournaments would overlap over the course of two weeks. With so many games to play, it was noted that “up to three games going on at once” was a distinct possibility, making it a potential boon for ESPN’s networks and streaming service.

However, CBS Sports Senior writer and college hoops analyst Matt Norlander took to Twitter on Sunday with a thread that cast plenty of doubt on most, if not all, of these tournaments happening here. Per Norlander’s sources, “widespread concern is quickly escalating over the stability — if not survival — of every Orlando-based ESPN event.”

At the heart of the issue for most schools, per Norlander, is Disney’s COVID-19 protocols that come with the Orlando event. As every school has its own protocols in place, moving to a different system could create confusion as well as a lack of flexibility, not to mention concerns over liability if a coach or player tests positive for COVID-19 while in the bubble.

“One rule: if someone in your traveling party tests positive for COVID, you have to be quarantined in Orlando for 14 days at the team’s expense…Anyone who is 91 days or more removed from a positive COVID test has to be tested again…The Big 12 and SEC have not committed to the 90-day CDC rule yet, per sources.”

You can see where this creates a lot of liability issues for the schools. If a player tests positive, that means they’re going to have to remain in the bubble for an additional two weeks, which not only affects their ability to play beyond the bubble but likely balloons costs. As many of these schools have other games scheduled around these tournaments, they’re being asked to be responsible to ESPN and Disney in a way that might not be worth their time or potential headaches, especially if they can’t control the testing process as they have been.

According to Norlander, many of the schools involved are reportedly reaching out to other Florida schools as back-up options if the tournament doesn’t happen or they end up backing out over the concerns. Some schools are even reportedly speaking to one another about just playing games on their own and, per Norlander, two big names have already decided to opt-out but haven’t announced it yet.

Those schools are not, apparently, Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, or Michigan State, all of whom will play in the Champions Classic, no matter how it happens.

Norlander adds that it remains possible that ESPN could just move some or all of these tournaments out of Disney altogether (which probably wouldn’t sit well with the mouse folks), but that feels relatively unlikely.

We can expect to hear a lot more about this in the week ahead as we’re literally weeks away from when the college basketball season is set to start. If these dominoes do fall as Norlander lays them out, it’s unclear how that will affect ESPN’s college basketball inventory over that time. We’d have to imagine a lot of contingency plans are being put into place and will continue to do so as certain schools make decisions to opt-out or change schedules.

Edited by AUBourne

Sad we will miss an opportunity to be a show case tournament. But I also think this team could use some more time before getting to the big time games so I’m not too sad about the cancellation :)

4 hours ago, gravejd said:

Sad we will miss an opportunity to be a show case tournament. But I also think this team could use some more time before getting to the big time games so I’m not too sad about the cancellation :)

Except things like this snowball. I’d be shocked if there’s a game prior to Jan 1. 

57 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Except things like this snowball. I’d be shocked if there’s a game prior to Jan 1. 

this is political bull****....

• Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, jared52 said:

Definitely don’t want that to happen. Article was posted in the schedule thread that the problem is around schools not wanting to adhere to the bubble guidelines. Things like if a player tests positive they have to stay in Orlando for 2 weeks or something. Which as you can imagine would mean players could miss future games quarantined in orlando. 

The season is at risk of course as we head into fall but I don’t see this as being a tipping point for canceling the season. 

12 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Make it happen Brucey. ESPN and liberal media be d***ed!

Glad AU and Zaga are both seeing through the BS

Yup, I’m sure ESPN is rooting hard for *less* content. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

ESPN was going to put on the tournament. 

ESPN still wants to broadcast as much basketball as possible, they have ads to sell. Some schools involved wouldn’t commit to the safety protocols required for an event held at a Disney facility. That doesn’t mean ESPN is suddenly rooting against basketball happening. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, AUBourne said:

Surprised Kansas is looking for another piece of AU on the basketball floor after that beatdown we put on them in the last ncaa tourney. 😂 

Love seeing AU in these with some of the bball elite! 

• Like 1

Well glad to see the teams involved fought through the liberal media and politics trying to keep the game from happening 🤣 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

Surprised Kansas is looking for another piece of AU on the basketball floor after that beatdown we put on them in the last ncaa tourney. 😂 

Love seeing AU in these with some of the bball elite! 

Hope we get to play both Gonzaga and Kansas.

If so, 

Zags, KU, Washington, Memphis, Baylor will all be non-conference opponents. Auburn will be close to the top in SOS this season. Means NET ranking will be huge if we even have a mediocre record.