President Trump refuses to commit to a peaceful transfer of power

TitanTiger

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Grumps said:

There you go, normalizing Trump again.

No respectable POTUS would respond to such a question the way Trump has.  It inherently implies that our elections are possibly - or in Trump's case, likely corrupt - the sort of thinking that is promoted by enemies of the country.

I am sorry. I will try again.

I agree with you that no respectable POTUS would respond to such a question the way Trump did. He intentionally caused the "sky is falling" crowd to go bonkers. It is despicable for him to do such things but he seems to get pleasure out of doing them. I agree that it implies that our elections may be corrupt. I agree that this sort of thinking is likely promoted by enemies of the country.

4 hours ago, Grumps said:

I am sorry. I will try again.

I agree with you that no respectable POTUS would respond to such a question the way Trump did. He intentionally caused the "sky is falling" crowd to go bonkers. It is despicable for him to do such things but he seems to get pleasure out of doing them. I agree that it implies that our elections may be corrupt. I agree that this sort of thinking is likely promoted by enemies of the country.

If the people who react negatively to a president who suggests he won't accept the results of the next election are the "sky is falling" crowd, then the people who accept such behavior as normal scorn our democratic institutions that are the basis of our freedom.  They hate our country and would prefer to live under a tyrannical, authoritarian government. 

Otherwise, I suppose we do agree. <_<

59 minutes ago, homersapien said:

If the people who react negatively to a president who suggests he won't accept the results of the next election are the "sky is falling" crowd, then the people who accept such behavior as normal scorn our democratic institutions that are the basis of our freedom.  They hate our country and would prefer to live under a tyrannical, authoritarian government. 

Otherwise, I suppose we do agree. <_<

Great! We agree that it was despicable.

Once again, the jackass who claimed he neglected to implement measures that could have saved tens of thousands (or more) of American lives so as not to raise a panic over a very real threat... is trying to raise a panic over a very fake threat.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Once again, the jackass who claimed he neglected to implement measures that could have saved tens of thousands (or more) of American lives so as not to raise a panic over a very real threat... is trying to raise a panic over a very fake threat.

He is correct, but we also haven’t seen many of these states go to mail in voting to this extent without working on it much in prior years. I also believe there is tremendous potential for vote fraud. 

On 9/24/2020 at 9:37 AM, jared52 said:

I don't mean to appear apathetic, I just believe that our systems will prevent him from overruling an election.

It will. 'Peaceful transition" is a pretty crappy question and the answer appropriate. 

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

It will. 'Peaceful transition" is a pretty crappy question and the answer appropriate. 

Again, the concern is not that he can overturn a defeat, it's that he has put measures in place to muddy the legal waters and legitimacy around mail-in ballots in swing states, such that the legal winner of the election will not be certain. That's when chaos would ensue and things would get really nasty. Please read the article about it that was posted a couple of times earlier in the thread. I can re-post if you'd like.

On 9/25/2020 at 5:16 PM, SocialCircle said:

He is correct, but we also haven’t seen many of these states go to mail in voting to this extent without working on it much in prior years. I also believe there is tremendous potential for vote fraud. 

The history and technicalities of voting by mail suggest that any "tremendous potential for fraud" lies primarily in the possibility that legal votes will be discounted -  especially since Trump has been suggesting exactly that. 

Since some states require mailed ballots be held until election day before counting them, the final results won't be known for several days after election day.  That's not a real problem, but just watch Trump as he tries to disrupt that process.

On 9/25/2020 at 10:16 PM, SaltyTiger said:

"Appropriate" only if the author wants to cast doubt on our election process.

4 hours ago, homersapien said:

"Appropriate" only if the author wants to cast doubt on our election process.

The question got about the answer it deserves imo. Should Trump win do you anticipate a peaceful acceptance and continuance of his presidency? 

27 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

The question got about the answer it deserves imo. Should Trump win do you anticipate a peaceful acceptance and continuance of his presidency? 

We both know there will be "peaceful" riots in many of the large cities in blue states.

6 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

To be honest, it's very doubtful.

Based on the facts - including his statements and the polls - there would be zero credibility if he claimed a majority. 

And if he wins with another minority vote, I expect a lot of resistance. 

I hate to think it will take violence and/or general strikes and protests, but at this point, but if that's what it takes to finally reform of our electoral system, so be it.  Our country is that far off track IMO.

We have no future as a democratic country if Trump is elected to a second term with a minority of the vote.  The only possible good that can come from it is structural change.

It's roughly 60:40 man.  What do you think will happen?

On 9/27/2020 at 8:06 PM, homersapien said:

To be honest, it's very doubtful.

Based on the facts - including his statements and the polls - there would be zero credibility if he claimed a majority. 

And if he wins with another minority vote, I expect a lot of resistance. 

I hate to think it will take violence and/or general strikes and protests, but at this point, but if that's what it takes to finally reform of our electoral system, so be it.  Our country is that far off track IMO.

We have no future as a democratic country if Trump is elected to a second term with a minority of the vote.  The only possible good that can come from it is structural change.

It's roughly 60:40 man.  What do you think will happen?

60:40 Biden? 

Archived