Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

25 minutes ago, USATiger said:

Not a whole lot of similarities though.  Napier may have turned the job down, but Rod was hired in principal until he went back to be with his team prior to the bowl game.  

Hopefully, the embarrassment of Napier turning the job down will put an end to the boosters who are trying to control the HC and who they hire.  I agree if it is allowed to happen, we are in big trouble for quite a while...15+ years at least.  

It's similar in that bama was being laughed at for the inept HC search, then they did what it took to land Saban.

I'm not saying we'll end up in a similar spot, but our optics are at about where theirs were after RR backed out.

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, AUGrad1996 said:

If they weren't initially, how could they now not be?  I don't know them but everything I've heard about them is they are personally nice people.  Take the money and live a happy life and be rid of this nonsense.

I am one of many I am sure that think they are both fine people and obviously love Auburn as much as possible given the situation. I am sorry that CGM could not make the changes to evolve as things did around him, but I am thinking that he and his family are somewhat glad to be off the roller coaster.

Just now, gr82b4au said:

No. His time was up. Recruiting was terrible even before he left. We are going down. There was a good article on ESPN on why he was fired. 
Our problem is leadership. Above him. 

And has been for almost 30 years.... Baby bowden was the first hire in getting guys in who they could control and who they had a connection too. Lowders daughter was bowdens secretary at samford. And so it began the era of JABA.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

That's like a minimal requirement for a coach to go anywhere. 

Not for a guy making the kind of leap he is in terms of compensation and prestige. 

This situation, if accurate as reported, shows that Napier's got a set on him and that we continue to step on our own. 

CGM is the only one who benefits from all of this! 😂 

Once you equate money to access, this brews a level and sense of entitlement. Right now I’m betting boosters are shooting each other angry emails and phoning each other.

Tbh, it doesn’t matter who we hire. We are going to be suspicious if the hire comes with strings attached. The only way I’m cautiously alright with Auburn Football is if there are no coaches that are in any way affiliated with Auburn Football (former players, boosters, family members of Auburn).

At this point I’m already accepting that we’ll be seeing severely mediocre and uninspired results to come for Auburn Football for a while. This is going to be really ugly, but we deserved it for enabling administrators and boosters to have access and influence to the team. If this is what it takes before we can see success, then I’m all for it.

Auburn is the woulda, coulda, shoulda  university of college football. Every since jet gate with CTT and Petrino the "boosters" think they control this University. It's a shame because everyone here loves this place and its deflating to see it flush down the toilet.... it's not so great to ba an Auburn Tiger right now...

12 minutes ago, dmbseeker00 said:

Guess there will be no need for JHS upgrades and/or expansion, now. Heck, we might even have to take out the east upper deck to 'right-size' our stadium. 

Yep, if they take out the east upper deck, they may save enough in maintenace to pay me to be a part-time coach...and I  know nothing about coaching.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

And has been for almost 30 years.... Baby bowden was the first hire in getting guys in who they could control and who they had a connection too. Lowders daughter was bowdens secretary at samford. And so it began the era of JABA.

Yup. Jetgate wasn't about losing. It was because Tubs didn't let them stick their noses in his football operations. At least that's my understanding. 

(He did earn his eventual firing fair and square.)

1 minute ago, AUDynasty said:

Once you equate money to access, this brews a level and sense of entitlement. Right now I’m betting boosters are shooting each other angry emails and phoning each other.

Tbh, it doesn’t matter who we hire. We are going to be suspicious if the hire comes with strings attached. The only way I’m cautiously alright with Auburn Football is if there are no coaches that are in any way affiliated with Auburn Football (former players, boosters, family members of Auburn).

At this point I’m already accepting that we’ll be seeing severely mediocre and uninspired results to come for Auburn Football for a while. This is going to be really ugly, but we deserved it for enabling administrators and boosters to have access and influence to the team. If this is what it takes before we can see success, then I’m all for it.

I am afraid you are so right AUD!

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Yup. Jetgate wasn't about losing. It was because Tubs didn't let them stick their noses in his football operations. At least that's my understanding. 

They forced him to hire Tony Franklin from what I recall

Gus had to go.  Enough was enough.  

Maybe this will be what we needed to expose the idiots who try to run our program.  

Maybe it won't.  

Keeping Gus would've just prolonged the inevitable if he was on these moron's bad side anyway. 

I don't want this but maybe us having multiple losing seasons and the university and city suffering the economic consequences of an apathetic and fed up fanbase will finally drive real change in how our program is run.  

Our program needed a coming to Jesus moment and maybe this is it. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

This sucks loof. I am hurting man.

2 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Maybe this will be what we needed to expose the idiots who try to run our program.  

Maybe it won't.  

Keeping Gus would've just prolonged the inevitable if he was on these moron's bad side anyway. 

I don't want this but maybe us having multiple losing seasons and the university and city suffering the economic consequences of an apathetic and fed up fanbase will finally drive real change in how our program is run.  

Gus def had to go. But so do all of our meddling bot who are trying to run us in to the ground.

8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Kevin Steele's brother is the ad of facilities.

3 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Maybe it won't.  

Exactly. The best part in this is that we know who’s at fault. The spotlight is bright. Fans are attentive and alert. If PTB wants to do this, then we fully know who to blame. Suddenly the thought of people casting them as villains don’t seem to be appealing anymore...

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

This sucks loof. I am hurting man.

I was so relieved and elated that we practically had Napier in the bag. I'm defeated now.

4 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Maybe it won't.  

I do agree. Maybe this happening to the City and University will cause outrage in more places than just on this site.

People need to understand you can have one truth with another . Our fan base can be so irritating sometimes . Still, I hate for our fan base and schools like Tennessee because we really do pour out our support to the players and the school, only for a small handful to act Like children or be ego driven . 

4 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Maybe it won't.  

It won’t. Nothing will change until they are gone.

Archived